[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Channing Crowder

G.K.Trey

DAVIE, Fla. -- Miami Dolphins linebacker Channing Crowder says the only way of preventing helmet-to-helmet hits is to eliminate the helmet.

Otherwise he's going to use his, regardless of punishment from league officials.

"If I get a chance to knock somebody out, I'm going to knock them out and take what they give me," Crowder said Wednesday. "They give me a helmet, I'm going to use it."

seriously? Goodell should suspend him on GP.

Didn't you all know....they only have helmets so they can pound others in their helmets with them?!! It certainly can't be to prevent feet, knees, arms, shoulders, butts, hands, hips and elbows and any other parts of the body...or ground...from nailing them in the head causing injury... :wacko:

I am far from an engineer but with regards to helmets I have recently wondered if they could find a way to have the helmets (as they are currently made) covered with a soft shock absorbing type material...sorta like a shock absorbing foam or some such...i know the helmets have air cushions in them but I would have to think that the added shock absorbing material would help at least some.

I am far from an engineer but with regards to helmets I have recently wondered if they could find a way to have the helmets (as they are currently made) covered with a soft shock absorbing type material...sorta like a shock absorbing foam or some such...i know the helmets have air cushions in them but I would have to think that the added shock absorbing material would help at least some.

Those are called afros.

I also heard that car accidents and injuries would greatly reduce if you took out airbags in all the steering wheel in cars....and replace with a 5 inch dagger. People would drive slower and leave plenty of room from the car in front for nice, gentle stops....

His other quote was the funniest:

"If they're going to keep making us go more and more and more like a feminine sport, we're going to wear pink every game, not just on the breast cancer months." :wacko:

But, he did have some other stuff to say:

"They can complain, they can suspend, they can fine and they can do whatever they want, but you can't stop a man from playing football the way he's been playing since high school," Crowder said, per Andy Kent of FanHouse.com. "If you go back to James Harrison when he was in high school or middle school, I bet he was hitting people just as hard back then."

"When I drop back in coverage and I see a receiver running a crossing route and I'm about to break on him and hit him I'm not going to think about, 'Well let me turn my shoulder or let me aim at his torso.' I'm just looking to knock the hell out of him," Crowder said. "So they can't change the game. If they really want to change it they'll take our face masks off, but anything they do is not going to work."

Edited by kpholmes

I also heard that car accidents and injuries would greatly reduce if you took out airbags in all the steering wheel in cars....and replace with a 5 inch dagger. People would drive slower and leave plenty of room from the car in front for nice, gentle stops....

haha. why stop there? 5" dagger would still allow some wiggle room - I'm thinking a 24" scimitar; side air bags could be replaced by nunchakus and chinese stars could get thrown out of the A/C vent.

it would get torn to pieces mid-game

His other quote was the funniest:

"If they're going to keep making us go more and more and more like a feminine sport, we're going to wear pink every game, not just on the breast cancer months." :wacko:

But, he did have some other stuff to say:

"They can complain, they can suspend, they can fine and they can do whatever they want, but you can't stop a man from playing football the way he's been playing since high school," Crowder said, per Andy Kent of FanHouse.com. "If you go back to James Harrison when he was in high school or middle school, I bet he was hitting people just as hard back then."

"When I drop back in coverage and I see a receiver running a crossing route and I'm about to break on him and hit him I'm not going to think about, 'Well let me turn my shoulder or let me aim at his torso.' I'm just looking to knock the hell out of him," Crowder said.

I dont have a problem with either of these statements as long as he isnt advocating head hunting. It takes a wr with some stones to go across the middle and not alligator arm a pass. Guys like Chris Carter, Keyshawn, Michael Irwin made a living across the middle and were respected for it. A lot of these questionable hits are very bang bang plays. The defenders are trying to dislodge the ball . When a wr is airborne or concentrating on the football the defender generally doesnt need to wrap. The hard hit usually puts the wr down . I have no problem with the league penalizing blatant head shots but this defenseless rec defense is a little crazy. I just dont know what they expect of a d back. Are they to wait until the guy catches the ball, make no effort to dislodge the ball with a hit, and wait for the guy to land and ask him if he is ready before they tackle him.

I watched the Deshaun Jackson hit and to me the intent wasnt to hit his head and the hit wasnt dirty. It looked liked the football I have been watching since I am a kid.

The defender turns his head , lowers it and hits jackson in the chest. I didnt see this as head hunting or an intentional dirty hit. Sometimes the head rises up on impact . This is a slippery slope th NFL is opening up here. You have defenders committed to a hit and you may have a rec lower their head on these bang bang plays and thats where the head to head contact could arise from. Who is going to determine this every week ?

I dont view these players as pieces of meat out there for my pleasure and wish they just kill themselves so i can see a big hit. Watching Jackson and Robinson lay there and hearing deshaun has memory loss is sickening. My point is if its a result of a clean hit (some will disagree on the jackson hit my point is in general) and a guy gets hurt it is just part of the game of football. I do not advocate head hunting . Its just getting to the point where when football players are getting massive fines for "devestating hits' and ESPN is making coaches take time outs where you wonder what the hell happened to the game we grew up watching and where will it be in the future.

I could be wrong, but from the stand point of preventing concussions, it would probably have little or no effect. The sudden movement of the head can cause the brain to not be protected by the fluid around it. It is possiable to get a concussion with out actually being hit in the head.

I could be wrong, but from the stand point of preventing concussions, it would probably have little or no effect. The sudden movement of the head can cause the brain to not be protected by the fluid around it. It is possiable to get a concussion with out actually being hit in the head.

correct ,, they say it's always the second impact that does the damage

1st. impact head hit ground

2nd impact brain hits skull

I think that you're missing the point.

The better analogy would be to wrap automobiles in layers of rubber such that the driver believes that a collision would not damage the driver or his/her car. This would likely reduce the incentive to drive carefully, which would result in more collisions.

Putting a dagger on the inside of a football helmet would pretty much stop somebody from leading with the helmet, don't you think?

Typically, the greater the risk of harm to oneself, the more careful someone is going to be.

Edited by Furd

Manufacturers can do something like this. (Remember Mark Kelso's gazoo "helmet?" Actually, I think that it was a cap added to his helmet?)

In any event, to give the players additional protection, the helmets need to be made larger. And if you make them larger, the helmets start to look silly, and no one is going to wear them.

The Gladiator

Many years ago, Sports Illustrated (maybe 30+?) did a cover story on the topic of reducing catastrophic injuries in football. In the end, reducing equipment, including reducing/eliminating the helmet, was the only thing that would achieve that end. The guy may be a goof, but his logic relative to football equipment and injuries is reasonable.

Anybody who has played the game knows that the better your equipment (helmet and pads) the more free you feel to deliver a bigger blow.