[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFL may mandate knee and thigh pads

CaptainHook

The days of NFL players opting not to wear thigh pads or knee pads may end with this year's Super Bowl, according to league and team sources.

The injury trends of quad injuries and knee bruises will be a major focal point of discussion for the competition committee to bring a recommendation on mandatory thigh and knee pad usage to the owners in March.

There also is a possibility that NFL commissioner Roger Goodell will simply order the changes for the 2011 season without a vote of the owners.

The NFL has already commissioned equipment makers to produce uniform leg pants that would incorporate the lightest, safest thigh and knee pads -- with the pads stitched into the pants rather than inserted and removed by the players.

Owners, general managers and coaches have expressed frustration that players who desire to play at the fastest possible speed by removing all leg pads suffer injuries that cause them to miss playing time. The discussion has been ongoing and acknowledged publicly by Goodell and other league officials.

Adrian Peterson of the Minnesota Vikings missed a game late this season when he banged knees on a handoff from Tarvaris Jackson. Michael Vick required a special thigh protection for the Philadelphia Eagles' first-round playoff loss to the Green Bay Packers.

The mandatory use of hip pads also is under discussion. But there is a more specific emphasis on the research focused on thigh and knee pads because of injury research, a source said.

from espn.com

The first time I ever suited up, I could barely walk. Even my spikes made me trip and fall. Eventually, I got used to all the pads and never felt like I was slower wearing them. I used the elastic knee pads and after a while, they didn't bother me at all. Knee braces are a different issue, as were rib pads. Rib pads made ball security an issue at least for me as an RB. Same for taping my ankles. I got used to it.

I think these guys are crazy not wearing pads.

The first time I ever suited up, I could barely walk. Even my spikes made me trip and fall. Eventually, I got used to all the pads and never felt like I was slower wearing them. I used the elastic knee pads and after a while, they didn't bother me at all. Knee braces are a different issue, as were rib pads. Rib pads made ball security an issue at least for me as an RB. Same for taping my ankles. I got used to it.

I think these guys are crazy not wearing pads.

Out of curiousity, I called my ex-player buddy because I know that he didn't wear knee pads. He said it is mostly psychological. Players think they look better, and therefore feel better and faster without knee and thigh pads. He didn't wear thigh pads for a while, but got a really bad thigh bruise on special teams, so then wore small thigh pads for the rest of his career. He never did wear knee pads.

With so many defensive players going low nowadays, knee pads are probably going to be a necessity. That Trufant hit was pretty scary.

Personally, I just always hated the stupid tailbone pad. I must have done extra conditioning after practice once a week for failing pad checks in school. You just could not get that thing into a comfortable position.

Personally, I just always hated the stupid tailbone pad. I must have done extra conditioning after practice once a week for failing pad checks in school. You just could not get that thing into a comfortable position.

One of the guys on my team forgot to put his tail pad in for practice. Got knocked on his but and broke his tailbone. Didn't play again that year.

i agree if the NFL want it's players to be safe playing football they need to take a page from the pee wee football handbook. Everyone wears all the pad and has mouthpieces in while playing.

I remember in youth football a team could be penilized for someone forgetting to put a mouthpiece in. The way the refs usually figured it out was the kid's mouthpiece was stuck into his facemask somewhere.

Also resently heard about concussion resistant helmets (i think it was DeSean Jackson who was wearing it) If ur in any sort of skill position where u could get a big hit wouldn't it make sense to wear one of those??? Hell I'd have the NFL look into making those maditory (also into how effective they are as well).

The NFL wants to keep it's star players healthy and uninjuried. This is the best action it can make. Yes players will complain and grip but it is a benifit to their safety.

Out of curiousity, I called my ex-player buddy because I know that he didn't wear knee pads. He said it is mostly psychological. Players think they look better, and therefore feel better and faster without knee and thigh pads. He didn't wear thigh pads for a while, but got a really bad thigh bruise on special teams, so then wore small thigh pads for the rest of his career. He never did wear knee pads.

With so many defensive players going low nowadays, knee pads are probably going to be a necessity. That Trufant hit was pretty scary.

I agree, the knee pads and thigh pads are all psych based don'ts. I actually wore elastic elbow pads on my knees. They were tight, but stayed in place much better. I am certain they saved me from a coupleof injuries, and also helped give my knees more stabilty, like a soft brace, but not restrictive like a knee brace. I think if I were a lineman, I would wear knee braces all the time. Doesn't Ohio state mandate knee braces for all linemen?

I agree, the knee pads and thigh pads are all psych based don'ts. I actually wore elastic elbow pads on my knees. They were tight, but stayed in place much better. I am certain they saved me from a coupleof injuries, and also helped give my knees more stabilty, like a soft brace, but not restrictive like a knee brace. I think if I were a lineman, I would wear knee braces all the time. Doesn't Ohio state mandate knee braces for all linemen?

college football requires knee braces on ALL offensive linemen