[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ced Benson suspended?

Bronco Billy

Except that you are still under contract so those image rules apply. And I'd say the Puor situation is different because it's a matter of image again and avoiding the situation where a college player could get kicked out of school for drug dealing but then get drafted by the NFL for millions. That's a move to prevent gaming of the system.

Then they have the choice to leave the NFL if they don't like it's rules, but persons who were under contract prior to the lockout are subject to the rules they agreed to when they entered the league, which includes their conduct policy. Here's part of it:

I mean, the NFL didn't fire them and null all contracts. The lockout was about coming up with a new future agreement, not a loophole to do whatever you want in spite of the contract you agreed to.

I stand corrected, given that the players are still under contract. Something I never considered earlier.

My employer would agree with yours. Here's the difference and the reason I disagree. The players were locked out. That was not of their choosing, as you or I taking a sabbatical or going on hiatus is ours.

That's not to say I think players who act up are wise. They knew what we did: eventually the NFL was going to be back in business and people have long memories.

THATS the difference...it's choice. You lock me out and still expect me to act in the image YOU want? F-off NFL. I'm not an NFL player at the moment.

Exactly. If my employer tells me I'm not fired but they're closing the doors and I can't come to work, I'm not getting paid, and they're suspending all my benefits, how can they then dictate what I do during that time I'm supposed to be at work? I didn't ask for them to close the doors. That's the part I don't get..

MikeSilver

Michael Silver

If the appeal does not result in a reduction or elimination of the suspension, Benson would miss Cinci's games vs. Buffalo, Jax and Indy

36 minutes ago

I like that schedule! Just picked up Scott in a local that Scooby and I share.

I disagree with the NFL's stance here. The players were locked out. They were not under contract and as such, should not be subjected to the conduct policy. To take it a step further, players and coaches who had issues while they played / coached in college should not be suspended upon entering the NFL. It's just wrong.

sorry Wolf, but the lockout is not free range for a crime spree. :wacko: it is not like all player contracts were ripped up and the teams started over, The NFL player policy was approved by the players and they have to live by their promises. Ced Ben was convicted of two counts of assault and he deserves to be treated with the terms of the player conduct code. This guy must face the music, he did what he did. :tup::lol:

Edited by Scooby's Hubby

Exactly. If my employer tells me I'm not fired but they're closing the doors and I can't come to work, I'm not getting paid, and they're suspending all my benefits, how can they then dictate what I do during that time I'm supposed to be at work? I didn't ask for them to close the doors. That's the part I don't get..

I don't know. Do you have a contract in place and expect your employer to fully honor every aspect of it after reopening for business? If so, then doesn't your employer also have expectations of you in regard to that contract?

And don't forget - you signed that contract as part of a bargaining agreement that allowed for a lockout by the owners. You agreed to that contract because it compensated you extraordinarily well, and thus you were willing to make those concessions.

Edited by Bronco Billy

I'm not a labor expert, but it seems inconsistent to me that players' contracted wages and medical benefits are suspended during a lockout...but the players are still expected to fulfill other parts of the contract. Once an employee is locked out...wouldn't the contract be suspended?

If the NFL can lock everyone out and still punish them for behavior later, couldn't they lock out players between the end of the season and before OTAs every season to save on medical? (I'm not saying it would be a practical or good move, but possible if a contract can be considered in effect during a lockout.)

I don't have a dog in this fight - just wondering how it works.

Edited by Grogansghost

I stand corrected, given that the players are still under contract. Something I never considered earlier.

sorry Wolf, but the lockout is not free range for a crime spree. :wacko: it is not like all player contracts were ripped up and the teams started over, The NFL player policy was approved by the players and they have to live by their promises. Ced Ben was convicted of two counts of assault and he deserves to be treated with the terms of the player conduct code. This guy must face the music, he did what he did. :tup::lol:

When I made my comments I neglected to realize that, although locked out, the players were still under contract. I see NBA players bolting for Europe, signing contracts with other teams, and I made the assumption that the NFL players were not under contract while under the lockout.

In no way, shape or form dit it mean that I condone bad behavior. If laws were broken, the law should intervene. And regardless, people should just behave, plain and simple. I did not agree with the NFL ruling that a conduct violation took place when the player acted up while locked out, thinking that the contract was not in place.

Now that we're discussing, the players had contracts so why weren't they being paid? Seems like the owners had their cake and ate it too: "Behave, and don't go anywhere, because you're still under contract and still subjected to discipline if you do act up. Oh yeah, we're gonna pay you either, in spite of the fact that you have a contract..."

I'm not a labor expert, but it seems inconsistent to me that players' contracted wages and medical benefits are suspended during a lockout...but the players are still expected to fulfill other parts of the contract. Once an employee is locked out...wouldn't the contract be suspended?

If the NFL can lock everyone out and still punish them for behavior later, couldn't they lock out players between the end of the season and before OTAs every season to save on medical? (I'm not saying it would be a practical or good move, but possible if a contract can be considered in effect during a lockout.)

I don't have a dog in this fight - just wondering how it works.

+1...I just wrote this below. How are only certain parts of the contract enforceable but the part calling for salary and benefits aren't?

Good question. I would imagine that the ONLY reason a guys signs a contract is to get paid. If he is not getting paid, does he have to obey the contract?

Also... if there were no NFL this year that would players have to still obey their contract? Cause the way I see that would me a 4-year contract would then require 5 years of obeying these rules and only 4 years of getting paid to do so.

Good question. I would imagine that the ONLY reason a guys signs a contract is to get paid. If he is not getting paid, does he have to obey the contract?

Also... if there were no NFL this year that would players have to still obey their contract? Cause the way I see that would me a 4-year contract would then require 5 years of obeying these rules and only 4 years of getting paid to do so.

I'm purely just speculating on this part, but I'd say that, IF had players missed game checks, it would have become much hairier to enforce penalties. But as it stands, they are still recieving every one of their gamechecks, and the contracts haven't been comprimised. Thus, contractual obligations aren't either, particularly now that it is business as usual (also IIRC, Benson didn't get sentenced until the lockout was over).

But I think one of the differences is that contractual obligations are a matter for the clubs that sign the contracts, but the NFL's policy, while seperate from that specific contract, still applies to those "under contract"... I don't think this should be viewed in terms of legality/morality when it's purely a policy put in place to protect their public image, which you're a part of until you retire or are no longer tenured.

This is evidenced by Goodell being able to use discretion, not obligation in penalties.

Edited by delusions of granduer

I disagree with the NFL's stance here. The players were locked out. They were not under contract and as such, should not be subjected to the conduct policy. To take it a step further, players and coaches who had issues while they played / coached in college should not be suspended upon entering the NFL. It's just wrong.

:wacko: