[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Peyton Manning . . . to the Colts?

CaptainHook

Jets or Dolphins?? No way would he ever go and play for Rex Ryan. No Way... That team blew their wad way too fast. O-line has question marks, their run game is suspect, and their WR's? Psshhhtt. Santonio Holmes is a mini Terrell Owens - he's quickly becoming a chemistry cancer.

Dolphins? They got a decent O-line and Bush is was a nice suprise as an almost every down back - but Brandon Marshall would go awol if he wasn't looked at every time Manning dropped back.

There is one team out there that would be right there flirting with the big dance if they gave Manning an incentive laden contract - it'll never happen, but just imagine the Ravens if they had Manning. They already have a dominant defense, their run game is one of the best in the league, they have solid receivers - then there's Joe Flacco. This guy is certainly better than Trent Dilfer was when they won the SB, but how much better. He gets rattled way too easily - and doesn't really show that killer instinct when the offense needs him to. And he wants to be one of the league's top 5 highest paid QB's? Ha! Let him walk and see if someone like Miami bites.. Bring in Manning and ride him like a stallion into retirement while finally sticking it to the Irsays for leaving 28 years ago by taking his franchise QB and winning a championship or two with Manning.

And I still don't see why the Cardinals wouldn't benefit from Manning? They really started gelling the 2nd half the season. They started out the season 1-6, but finished the 2nd half strong at 7-2. They'll have Ryan Williams this year in the backfield. Dude showed all the promise in the world last preseason before he went out for the season. They quietly have a young, and up and comming defense. Patrick Peterson is simply a badass. Daryl Washington is a severly underrated linebacker who's really starting to make a name for himself. Then there's Fitzgerald. With a real QB like Manning behind center, Manning could make Andre Roberts look like a pro-bowler, nevermind making Fitz the game's best WR. Sure they have Kevin Kolb, and they gave up a lot to get him, but Skelton looked better last season than Kolb did - AND they owe Kolb a pretty penny soon (roster bonus). It's all speculation, but I continue to hear local grumblings that the Cardinals are quietly mulling releasing Kolb to avoid the bonus - set to roll with Skelton unless "someone of interest" becomes available via free agency..

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peyton Manning is best when he can utilize play action. There was a time when the Colts ran alot. Manning was very effective with play action. Same with Troy Aikman and Emmit. Manning would be better with this option. Manning does not need 4 WR sets to be most effective, nor does he need to throw for 5,000 yds. When he had Edgerrin, the Colts ran the ball alot and Manning had great years, plus he used more clock to keep the so-so defense off the field. His whole demeanor is to keep the defense on their heels. Give him a team that can run and give him more options at the line of schrimmage. I say this when comparing his possible future with teams like Seattle (run threat) versus AZ (no run threat).And let's face it, due to Manning's neck injuries, he may not be the old Manning arm strength and endurance wise, but still accurate and savvy.

And again - I'm not the only one who thinks Arizona will be the landing spot for Manning:

"Manning is released by the Colts at some point over the course of the next two weeks, causing a media frenzy over which team he signs with. He and his agent Tom Condon meet with Washington, Miami, Arizona, Seattle and the Jets, before going the Kurt Warner route, signing with the Arizona Cardinals. The Cardinals have one of the best young defenses in the league and arguably the best wideout in the game.

Pressed on it this weekend at the Combine, both general manager Rod Graves and coach Whisenhunt played it coy, insisting they were happy with the quarterbacks they have in house. But I could see them pulling the trigger on the opportunity to land Manning. “I’m not going to get into those scenarios,” Whisenhunt said on Thursday. “I think Rod Graves, our general manager, said it best, we’re always looking for opportunity with players. I don’t think that’s any different from any team in the league.” Manning goes to the desert, Reggie Wayne comes along with him, Kevin Kolb is released, and suddenly, the Cardinals are a very scary team with Super Bowl dreams."

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Mock-Draft-post-NFL-Scouting-Combine-Andrew-Luck-Robert-Griffin-III-022812

His interceptions were higher in 2010 than they had been in 8 years. His yards per attempt were at their lowest level since his rookie year. And he had career highs in attempts and completions. The decline had begun. And that was before he had at least 3 more neck surgeries. Could he have a couple more great seasons? Yes. Will any of them be better than his numbers when he was in his prime? No way. That is the definition of decline. I didn't say he's gonna suck. I said his skills are deteriorating along with his health.

some of that is due to the lack of run game. don;t put the blame on him for those numbers, necessarily. they have not run the ball well in Indy for quite some time.

some of that is due to the lack of run game. don;t put the blame on him for those numbers, necessarily. they have not run the ball well in Indy for quite some time.

You guys are right. I've only watched every snap Manning has ever played as a Colt. He'll come back to his MVP form after missing an entire year and having at least three neck surgeries.

You guys are right. I've only watched every snap Manning has ever played as a Colt. He'll come back to his MVP form after missing an entire year and having at least three neck surgeries.

This is what I like to hear! Good optimism, Hook! :wacko:

I don't really care either way. But the team was so bad that without Manning they only won 2 games last year. Obviously nobody is expecting him to be MVP caliber, but the decline of his stats could possible be part of being asked to do too much on a team with serious flaws. So I'd expect some decline but its possible that mitigating factors have made his decline seem like more than it is.

What has given you the opinion that his skills have deminished???????

I said "if", but I think CH answered the question pretty well as far as him diminishing. My point in the recent debate was around somebody saying "he has to go to a run-first team" which then changed into "what I meant was he needs a good running game." I think all QBs need a good running game, except maybe the truly elite with a great cast of WR and a good line. And then somebody talked about Elway late in his career. I feel that if Peyton truly needs a heavy running game and will only pass sparingly that means he's pretty well done and may just retire.

36 years old, mutliple neck surgeries, and entire year out of football, still not fully recovered and able to prove he can play QB in the NFL, there's plenty of question marks and plenty of reason to say (or at least speculate) that he has declined.

His interceptions were higher in 2010 than they had been in 8 years. His yards per attempt were at their lowest level since his rookie year. And he had career highs in attempts and completions. The decline had begun. And that was before he had at least 3 more neck surgeries. Could he have a couple more great seasons? Yes. Will any of them be better than his numbers when he was in his prime? No way. That is the definition of decline. I didn't say he's gonna suck. I said his skills are deteriorating along with his health.

other way of looking at it is, last time he was on the field, he was throwing for 4700 yards, 66% completion, 2/1 TD/INT ratio....on a team with the 29th worst rushing attack in the league and the 29th worst scoring defense. a team he took to the playoffs with a 10-6 record, and a team that was the worst in the league without him. and he did all this while needing surgery on his neck.

you have a curious definition of "decline".

Once again, I didn't say he went from great to suck. There was a slight erosion of his abilities in 2010. It was even mentioned by several commentators. It was noticeable by those of us who have watched him for years. Was it due to his neck? Probably. But that still isn't fixed. Decline means he is on the back side of his career. That can take years. Manning could easily have 3 more years of quality football in him. But he will never be the MVP stud he was in his prime. Why is this so hard to understand?

I don't really care either way. But the team was so bad that without Manning they only won 2 games last year. Obviously nobody is expecting him to be MVP caliber, but the decline of his stats could possible be part of being asked to do too much on a team with serious flaws. So I'd expect some decline but its possible that mitigating factors have made his decline seem like more than it is.

What most people fail to realize is it wasn't just Peyton Manning the team was missing. Just about every playmaker they have was either put on the IR or out for a lengthy time - Manning, Clark, Addai; Saturday, Costonzo, Pollack, Diem; Mathis, Bethea, Brackett, Angerer.

That's the starting QB, starting TE, starting RB, the entire starting o-line, 2 starting linebackers, starting DE, starting safety. Not listed are 2 WR's (Collie and Gonzalez), and a DB (Powers) and another LB (Ernie Simms).

PLEASE inform me WHAT team in today's NFL can have all these relevant injuries and still be successful. The Colts have always had the "next man up" mentality, but when you lose ALL your playmakers, 2nd stringers are 2nd stringers for a reason.

So - don't tell me the Colts failed specifically cause Manning wasn't playing. They may have been a 5 win team if he was..

But he will never be the MVP stud he was in his prime. Why is this so hard to understand?

I haven't read the whole thread but who exactly is saying that he is going to be the MVP stud he was in his prime? I would say that person is wrong (and assume most would agree).

So - don't tell me the Colts failed specifically cause Manning wasn't playing. They may have been a 5 win team if he was..

That's not exactly what I was saying or the main point. But looking over the schedule it seems that the Colts lost 7 games by one score or less with Collins/Painter/Orlovsky. So I'd be pretty comfortable saying they would have been better than a 5 win team with Peyton.

He could come back even better like Vick!

I wonder what the Colts could get for the #1 choice if for some reason they did patch things up with Manning and go with him. I know the ones arguing that they do so suggest drafting the heir apparent, but what if they just went for broke and sold out trying to get manning one more Superbowl? What is that #1 worth this year?

throwing at duke

edit to add story on espn.

how much you wanna bet archie was the one pretending to sneak around with the cell phone camera and posting it on youtube. top o' the mornin to ya, irsay. :lol:

He may be throwing, but word out from those who have seen him in the past week is that he is nowhere close to throwing at an NFL level. That's not Peyton Manning level - that's not being merely competent at throwing in the NFL That's disturbing given the timeline so far, but consistent with where he is in his career and sustaining an injury of this nature.

Personally, I think we've seen the last of Manning as we have grown to know him, and what we may see in the future will only be a sad shell of his former magnificence. If so, it will sadden me greatly. I don't want to see Manning going out looking like a 3rd stringer.

He may be throwing, but word out from those who have seen him in the past week is that he is nowhere close to throwing at an NFL level. That's not Peyton Manning level - that's not being merely competent at throwing in the NFL That's disturbing given the timeline so far, but consistent with where he is in his career and sustaining an injury of this nature.

Personally, I think we've seen the last of Manning as we have grown to know him, and what we may see in the future will only be a sad shell of his former magnificence. If so, it will sadden me greatly. I don't want to see Manning going out looking like a 3rd stringer.

And yet so few go out on top. To attain the level of play they do, the greats, to a very real extent, have to disregard reality, they have to be self-deluded. I mean really, who but the ignorant or the self deluded believe they are going to be the one to defy the mathematical odds to become an NFL Q.B., more less a truely great one. Those with the dreams to even attempt this are deluded, and those that achieve it, well when your delusions are validated even more reason to have them. It has to be very difficult to percieve oneself accurately after the lives they have lead. Most need the wake up call of a bad season or two. Rare are the Elways, Jim Browns, Barry Sanders', or Robert Smiths.

Elway timed it to perfection. Brown and Sanders each left at least one year too early. Robert Smith, who knows how much to early he left.

throwing at duke

edit to add story on espn.

how much you wanna bet archie was the one pretending to sneak around with the cell phone camera and posting it on youtube. top o' the mornin to ya, irsay. :lol:

That doesn't look like Peyton to me. Sure the cameraman is far away but the throwing motion is much different between that video and the Manning I've been watching for 13 years. Manning keeps the ball up high near his face the moment he takes the snap. This guy is keeping the ball down low by his waste. I can't imagine Manning's mechanics changing that drastically.

That doesn't look like Peyton to me. Sure the cameraman is far away but the throwing motion is much different between that video and the Manning I've been watching for 13 years. Manning keeps the ball up high near his face the moment he takes the snap. This guy is keeping the ball down low by his waste. I can't imagine Manning's mechanics changing that drastically.

A couple of those were play-action. It sure looked like Peyton to me.

I wonder what the Colts could get for the #1 choice if for some reason they did patch things up with Manning and go with him. I know the ones arguing that they do so suggest drafting the heir apparent, but what if they just went for broke and sold out trying to get manning one more Superbowl? What is that #1 worth this year?

Well if I'm the Browns I'd easily offer 1.04 & 1.22 for Luck.