[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Finley badly hurt?

Bronco Billy

Didn't see a thread on this, which surprised me.

GB TE Jermichael Finley was apparently hurt pretty badly late in the game against CLE. I knew he went out because I was following it on line, but didn't know how bad it was. Finley had to be carried off on a stretcher with a neck injury after a collision.

GB reserve TE Andrew Quarles said he shed tears during the whole thing and Finley's agent has tweeted that "football doesn't matter right now" and has asked for prayers on Finley's behalf.

Has anyone heard anything further?

From Rotoworld:

Jermichael Finley's agent tweeted that "football doesn't matter right now" on Sunday night.

Finley sustained a very scary head or neck injury during the fourth quarter of Sunday's win over the Browns. Packers players who were near him were visibly shaken afterward, with Andrew Quarless saying he shed a tear. Finley does have feeling in his extremities, but he was immobilized and stretchered off the field. "Thank you 2 every1 4 the well wishes regarding @JermichaelF88. Keep him in your thoughts & be patient. Football doesn't matter right now," read Baratz's tweet.

Source: Blake Baratz on Twitter Oct 20 - 10:47 PM

Sometimes, it's not necessarily the violent hits that are the scary ones. In this case, it wasn't the hit itself that looked bad (when I first saw it), it was the way Finley fell to the ground afterwards. Didn't catch/brace himself, like you typically would, when falling face-first to the ground. Instead, his arms seemed to "freeze" while his head/helmet hit the ground. From the replays I saw, it then appeared like Finley was saying something, just a couple of seconds after "impact." I'm not sure he was totally conscious at that point (it was obviously difficult to see if what he was saying was completely coherent or not).

My initial thought was another concussion (I think he had one in about Week 3?), but when they took him off the field on the board, it became apparent that it might be something more. The good sign, at that time, was that he was able to lift his right arm. From various tweets/quotes I've read, It sounds like there was a lot of concern last night (as to the extent of his injury), which is why he spent the night in the ICU (for precautionary reasons, and I'm sure to run tests, etc.). I did read something (from an undisclosed source, but supposedly someone who is close to Finley) that he's going to be fine.

So, hopefully, we'll hear soon that he's been released from the hospital. Still, I would be surprised if he doesn't miss some time (and probably more than just a week/game).

Not finding a lot of news, sounds like he is going to need surgery. While all signs so far are that he is ok, if surgery is needed there is still reason to be concerned. I was hoping he'd be ok after the hit, and as others have said the hit by the Browns player was not what did it, but how his head made contact with the ground. (Browns safety Gipson was penalized for unneccessary roughness, leading with the helmet.)

I immediately had concern for Finley and was just hoping he'd be ok. Hope he can make a full recovery.

Not finding a lot of news, sounds like he is going to need surgery. While all signs so far are that he is ok, if surgery is needed there is still reason to be concerned. I was hoping he'd be ok after the hit, and as others have said the hit by the Browns player was not what did it, but how his head made contact with the ground. (Browns safety Gipson was penalized for unneccessary roughness, leading with the helmet.)

I immediately had concern for Finley and was just hoping he'd be ok. Hope he can make a full recovery.

Which I didn't agree with (the call). Gipson actually appeared to turn, to avoid hitting with his helmet. His should collided with the crown of Finley's helmet, not the other way around. There was no malicious intent. It was just one of those unfortunate plays that sometimes happen in what is a violent game.

I haven't heard that he's going to have surgery. Actually, the only thing I read that even mentioned surgery was someone (Chris Mortenson?) saying that he hadn't had surgery (almost implying that he was going to at some point, but again, nothing definitive).

Which I didn't agree with (the call). Gipson actually appeared to turn, to avoid hitting with his helmet. His should collided with the crown of Finley's helmet, not the other way around. There was no malicious intent. It was just one of those unfortunate plays that sometimes happen in what is a violent game.

I haven't heard that he's going to have surgery. Actually, the only thing I read that even mentioned surgery was someone (Chris Mortenson?) saying that he hadn't had surgery (almost implying that he was going to at some point, but again, nothing definitive).

This ESPN article I read mentioned surgery,

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9857537/jermichael-finley-green-bay-packers-icu-injury

"Finley had not undergone surgery as of Monday morning and his status was uncertain, one source said."

as did the news entry on the Huddle home page <a href="http://www.thehuddle.com/nfl/player/8868/">Jermichael Finley - TE - Green Bay Packers Posted 10/21/13 9:12am et facebook_thumb.jpg twitter_thumb2.gif Updating previous reports, Green Bay Packers TE Jermichael Finley (neck) is in the intensive care unit at a hospital due to a neck injury suffered in Week 7. Huddle Up: Finley is reportedly waiting on surgery, and as of this morning was still in the ICU. Given that situation, it's unlikely we'll see Finley back on the field any time soon.

and as others have said the hit by the Browns player was not what did it, but how his head made contact with the ground. (Browns safety Gipson was penalized for unneccessary roughness, leading with the helmet.)

I thought it was a totally clean hit. Gipson led with his shoulder, not his helmet. It was a bad call by the ref.

This ESPN article I read mentioned surgery,

http://espn.go.com/n...kers-icu-injury

"Finley had not undergone surgery as of Monday morning and his status was uncertain, one source said."

as did the news entry on the Huddle home page <a href="http://www.thehuddle...68/">Jermichael Finley - TE - Green Bay Packers Posted 10/21/13 9:12am et facebook_thumb.jpg twitter_thumb2.gif Updating previous reports, Green Bay Packers TE Jermichael Finley (neck) is in the intensive care unit at a hospital due to a neck injury suffered in Week 7. Huddle Up: Finley is reportedly waiting on surgery, and as of this morning was still in the ICU. Given that situation, it's unlikely we'll see Finley back on the field any time soon.

Yeah, I read the first one you mentioned ("Finley had not undergone surgery"), which doesn't exactly clarify whether he is waiting to have surgery, is not having surgery, or maybe the writer isn't sure. The second one makes it sound more likely that he is having surgery, but given the mixed bag of reports, I'd say it's still somewhat unclear. Regardless, I'm hoping he's OK, and has no long-lasting effects from this injury.

I thought it was a totally clean hit. Gipson led with his shoulder, not his helmet. It was a bad call by the ref.

Agreed, although it seems that the refs are just erring on the side of caution, when it comes to these types of calls. In other words, since they don't get the opportunity to see a replay (before making the call), and a penalty of this kind is obviously not reviewable, they throw the flag when the hit looks particularly violent/unnecessary (in real-time). And, in this case, real-time might have looked like it was helmet-to-helmet, at least from the viewpoint of the ref who threw the flag.

At least they get the chance to review the play before determining whether or not to include a fine, even though the damage is done, in terms of the penalty.

Yeah, when I watched it live my first reaction was 'bad hit', but when i saw the replays it became obvious it wasn't. So I can understand how the refs got it wrong. I hope Gipson is not fined - I don't really know what they'd fine him for.

From profootballtalk.com

Jermichael Finley in ICU, has regained almost all movement

Packers tight end Jermichael Finley suffered a scary looking injury that left his teammates shaken up as they watched Finley be immobilized and taken out of Lambeau Field on a gurney by medical personnel.

Chris Mortensen of ESPN reports that Finley remains in the intensive care unit at an area hospital on Monday, but that tests have come back negative thus far and that Finley has regained almost all movement after not being able to move immediately after taking a hit from Browns safety Tashaun Gibson.

Tom Pelissero of USA Today adds that Finley is not expected to require surgery.

Pelissero also reports that the Packers don’t expect to know if or when Finley can return to the field for several weeks. The tight end is expected to remain in ICU while doctors do more tests because it offers the most comfort and 24-hour support.

It’s the second time this season that Finley has been knocked out of a game by a blow to the head and/or neck. The last one caused his five-year-old son to tell him that he didn’t want his father to play football anymore a sentiment others in the Finley family may share after Sunday’s apparently significant injury.

Edited by Wolverines Fan

I made two trades involving Finley, just last Friday....

In a dynasty league, back in September, I traded Antonio Brown and a relatively high draft pick (3rd round) for Gore and Dwayne Allen, realizing that Jermaine Gresham wasn't going to be an every-week start-worthy TE. The next week, Allen went on IR, leaving me once again with Gresham as my starting TE. Still, Gore has more than made that trade worthwhile for me, so I couldn't complain. I lived with Gresham in my starting lineup for the last month or so, and finally decided (last week) that I couldn't take it any more... Traded McFadden, Rod Streater, Gresham, and two other players (defensive prospects) for Finley, Bolden (NE), and Kyle Williams. I should have just stuck with Gresham, as I'll now be starting Ben Watson at TE. Actually, I'm not really regretting that deal, either, if for no other reason than just being able to get rid of McFadden. :lol:

In another dynasty league, I traded Finley for Fred Jackson and the dynamic duo of Henne and Gabbert (just to get me through Brees' bye week). Early on Sunday, it looked like that trade was going to bite me big-time... Jackson was down, and clutching his knee. Damnit, I thought... I just gave away Finley for those two suck bags in Jacksonville, just to solve a bye-week issue. Well, how quickly things change... By game's end, Jackson had scored a TD, and Finley was the one headed to the hospital.

• 2 weeks later...

From rotoworld. Not a surprise.

Nov 5 - 5:17 PM

The Packers placed TE Jermichael Finley on injured reserve with a bruised spinal cord, ending his season.

The Pack appeared to be holding out hope Finley could return this season by keeping him on the active roster for as long as they did, but could no longer afford to wait with Aaron Rodgers' injury necessitating roster moves. Either way, it was highly unlikely Finley would be able to come back.

He'll now go into free agency on the back of his second injured-reserve stint in four seasons. A torn meniscus cut short Finley's 2010 campaign. By most accounts, Finley should eventually get back to 100 percent, and be ready for the 2014 season.

It's quite possible he'll be playing somewhere other than Green Bay, who may not have the salary-cap space to make a competitive offer.

Chances are wherever he ends up he doesn't post half the stats he did in his best years in GB. Not unlike Jennings. Reminds me of the Favre years, one in particular where players kept getting injured. I believe that is when Freeman moved up to a starter, and put up huge numbers.

Its the QB and the offense, not the talent of guys like Finley or Jennings that account for their lofty numbers. A true stud like Calvin or Andre Johnson doesn't need a top QB to put up good numbers.

That also means Quarles is the man the rest of the year, and possibly in 2014 as well, trying to add him now.