[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Who Ends Up the Pittsburgh Starting RB?

CardinalEmpire.com

I am pretty sure that any responses to this thread will be primarily if not wholly opinion, so please feel free to weigh in with your thoughts and analysis. I am trying to figure out what I think of the Pittsburgh backfield (and eventually what to do with Duce and Willie Parker) this season and just don't know what the Steelers are doing over their in PA.

From one article to the next, it seems like any three of the RB's currently jockeying for position could end up as the feature back this season. Some think Duce won't ever stay healthy, others think The Bus will never BE healthy again. And then you throw in Willie Parker, a back who really doesn't fit the Pittsburgh mentality of smashmouth running, who many are predicting to emerge as the #1 guy.

So what do YOU think happens? If you have articles, please link them here. If not, just give your two cents.

Staley will get some carries when he gets healthy (at least until he is injured again shortly thereafter.) Bettis will get his carries. Parker will get his.

I see a three-headed monster modified by injuries. Still, it looks like Parker is the man to have right now

Agree, but I am looking long-term here. With Tiki, S. Jackson, and Mike Anderson already on my roster, I need to know whether it's worth it to keep Duce and Parker later in the season or trade them for something else (maybe Tatum Bell and someone else so that I have Denver's situation covered). My thinking is that as long as Bettis is out, I am OK with Pittsburgh. If I wanted to make this discussion entirely about me, I'd probably just ask whether or not people see Bettis coming back and being a 15-20 carry a game guy.

Unless your league gives extra points for someone being in the starting line-up, I'm not sure it matters who the starting RB is.

If your question is which RB will put up the most fantasy football points under a standard scoring system, I'd say it will be Parker the first 2 weeks, then Bettis for three or four weeks, then Staley.

But I think they will split the load evenly enough such that none of them puts up great full-year fanasy numbers, although each of them will probably have a good game or two during the year.

I dunno who the "starting back" will be... but I think Bettis has the edge to score the most points this season.

I think his injury will heal quicker than Staley's (which I think will affect him all season). I think Bettis will take over his goal line touches, and occasional big game as soon as he gets back.

I dunno... just a hunch.

I think that Cower will go with who ever has the hot hand. If Parker does well I think he continues to run the ball until he shows he cannot. I know that Cower likes Parker a lot and he did very well with the 2nd String O last year when Pittsburgh went into Buffalo (in a must have game for the Bills) and ran for 100+ yards I believe. Bettis will continue to get the goaline carries probably but I think that Willie can hold of Staley.

Edited by BigTen

No doubt about it, when Staley is healthy, he is the starter. Bettis will be the goal-line/short yardage back, and Parker will be the 3rd down back. Verron Hayes will be a Special Teams player at that point. Now, that is assuming that both Staley and Bettis are healthy. What are the chances of that!

If Staley is healthy and the starter what do we have? A weak #2 or solid #3 fantasy back. Nothing special but a good back up RB in my opinion.

If the Bus is healthy what do we have? He'll be the goal line back with some additional caries. He does not want to be nor is he capable of being a full time back anymore (perhaps for a game or 2). Bettis is also nothing better than a weak #2 or solid #3 at best.

Now what do we have with Parker? Nobody really knows! However he is YOUNG and FAST and appears capable of scoring from anywhere on the field. Will he be a 2 week wonder or become the MAN. With the Offensive line and running game of Pittsburgh he could the sleeper of the year.

I don't have a clue how the RB situation in Pittsburgh plays out, but my point isneither Staley nor Bettis are likely to be anything special. I think Parker has more potential to become a stud. He also could be just a nobody.

If your roster only needs a bye week fill in then take the safe play and keep Bettis or Staley. If to have a shot at the playoffs you need to hit a home run then go with Parker.

I dunno who the "starting back" will be... but I think Bettis has the edge to score the most points this season.

I think his injury will heal quicker than Staley's (which I think will affect him all season).  I think Bettis will take over his goal line touches, and occasional big game as soon as he gets back.

I dunno... just a hunch.

980222[/snapback]

you gotta be kidding me :D

See, I have Staley and Parker sitting on my bench behind Tiki, S. Jackson, and Anderson. My worry is that when I need Anderson as my RB3, Shanahan may have already made his usual mid-season switch and benched Anderson for Bell. That leaves me with either Staley or Parker filling in, neither of which I am any more sure of.

On the other hand, I also see the potential of having WAY too many backs and giving myself headaches from week to week when I could be upgrading my roster and throwing out any uncertainty over who to play. Obviously I have a nice stable here, but couldn't I try to upgrade my defense or a WR spot instead of holding 2-3 GOOD RB2/3 players that I will probably never use?

See, I have Staley and Parker sitting on my bench behind Tiki, S. Jackson, and Anderson. My worry is that when I need Anderson as my RB3, Shanahan may have already made his usual mid-season switch and benched Anderson for Bell. That leaves me with either Staley or Parker filling in, neither of which I am any more sure of.

On the other hand, I also see the potential of having WAY too many backs and giving myself headaches from week to week when I could be upgrading my roster and throwing out any uncertainty over who to play. Obviously I have a nice stable here, but couldn't I try to upgrade my defense or a WR spot instead of holding 2-3 GOOD RB2/3 players that I will probably never use?

980533[/snapback]

Can you trade Parker and Staley for Bell? Then your problems at RB are solved. It would free up one roster spot and insure 3 good RBs with 4 roster spots.

Whoever the starter for Denver is will be a stud. Witness T. Davis, O. Gary, Mike Anderson, Portis, Reuben Drouhns, M. Anderson again. Having Bell insures that you have a top 10 RB. With Tiki, Jax, and Den RBS you have three top backs and would never need Staley and Parker. As it is it sounds like your considering dropping either Staley or Parker to pick up help else where. Isn't that why you started this thread. If you can get more for Staley and Parker than just Bell great. Just remember that in a 2 for 1 trade you also get the best guy available on waivers.

Can you trade Parker and Staley for Bell? Then your problems at RB are solved. It would free up one roster spot and insure 3 good RBs with 4 roster spots.

980594[/snapback]

I did that but traded R Brown for Bell to go with Anderson. With my luck Ron Dayne will have a 1200 yd. season.

I think you may be missing something regarding trading Parker and Staley for Bell. I believe your thought is that you wouldn't be getting enough in return, since Bell is clearly a back-up TODAY.

But that trade looks like a classic "you can lose the trade and still have a better team" type trade. I think you're team is better with Bell, since you have M. Anderson.

So, don't make the trade if you insist on "winning the trade" or "breaking even". But I think you can lose the trade and come away with a clearly better team. Of course, if you can talk the other owner out of extra stuff, all the better.

The other consideration to me is whether the team with Bell, is a contender or not. If he is a contender, and Parker/Staley make him better, I might not consider it. But I do believe your team is better with Bell than Parker/Staley.

JMO

you gotta be kidding me :D

980450[/snapback]

Your other thread got locked right after you made some kind of unprovoked insult aimed at me... and now you're here doing it again? :D

Are you going to be one of those newbies who comes in, give lame unimaginative insults to everyone and then disappears?

Or are you going to be one of those newbies who suddenly realizes that not everyone is out to get you and you can actually be friendly and contribute to the board and enjoy this place as much as the rest of us?