[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Any good stuffing recipies?

Duchess Jack

Just curious. 

I'm taking the seasoned stuffing.... butter, onions, ground sausage, some apple sause and celery? 

Teach me.  :D

1168808[/snapback]

Because I often bake the stuffing separately from the bird, I usually toast the bread cubes in duck fat. That makes it pretty freaking good. Of course, pretty much everything tastes good cooked in duck fat. So grab that container of duck fat you've got in the back of the fridge and have at it.

Let the Last Tango in Paris references begin...

Hmmm.... sounds good thus far.

If it makes a difference.... my mother-in-law is grilling the turkey and bringing it seperately - so the stuffing will be cooked outside the bird.

1168856[/snapback]

its still good baked separately in the oven (i used to be a vegetarian so they made a batch just for me back in college) would still add some gravy to it on the table once the bird arrives.

Just curious. 

I'm taking the seasoned stuffing.... butter, onions, ground sausage, some apple sause and celery? 

Teach me.  :D

1168808[/snapback]

Sounds like you're off to a good start.

Make sure you use a good, stale bread and to cook most of the stuffing outside the bird. I think the stuffing insude the turkey loses too much texture.

I like a distinct sage flavor to stuffing - I grow the stuff in by herb garden just for Thanksgiving - I never use sage the rest of the year. :D It's actually still green right now.

1 lb- unseasoned pork sausage (crumbled) you also want to remove the casings

1/2 C- finely chopped onion

1/2 C- finely chopped celery

1/2 C- butter

1 C- finely chopped unpeeled mcintosh apples

1 C- dried cherries

1/3 C- cherry brandy

1 loaf- french baguette cubed

1/4 tsp- cinnamon

1/4 tsp- mace

1 tsp- salt

1/4 tsp- ground black pepper

1- 2 C- chicken broth

pinch nutmeg

pinch dreid sage

pinch dried thyme

brown sausage. saute onions and celery until soft. combine all ingredients. you might want to use an egg to bind.......

spray dish you are going to use to cook. spread stuffing evenly in dish. bake at 425 for 30 min (or unitl golden brown). cover with foil (to prevent burning). lower temp to 350. cook another 1/2 hr or so until internal temp reaches 150.

Edited by Bier Meister

Here is a link to a Dressing recipe.  It sounds weird at first, but trust me, we tried it once and it is phenomenal!

Enjoy!    :D

1160458[/snapback]

Secret Ingredient = White Castle Burgers (I kid you not) :D

Edited by Savage Beatings

Very simple....very good.

Stale bread (This brings back memories of childhood! My Mom the night before would put out cookie sheets filled with bread all over the place and let it get stale, or put them in the oven if it was getting late)

Ground Beef

Salt, Pepper, and Accent

Chicken stock

Not sure of the exact proportions, but:

Fry the Ground beef and drain

Soak the bread w/ some water & chicken stock

Fry the mixture w/ some chicken stock

Season w/ Salt, Pepper, and Accent

All I know is the stuffing NEVER outlasts the leftover turkey. In years gone by, my bro and I would fight over the leftovers. Now RR juniorette and I fight over the leftovers. :D She'd always, even today, make a bowl just for me as an appetizer whilst the bird was cooking! What a Mom! :D

My sausage / apple stuffing is finished until tomorrow. No secret ingredients: Just sausage, apples, bread, celery, onion, roasted garlic, butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and pepper and apple cider. I've never measured anything so I couldn't give any exact numbers. I am notorious for preparing way too much food because of that.

My sausage / apple stuffing is finished until tomorrow.  No secret ingredients:  Just sausage, apples, bread, celery, onion, roasted garlic, butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and pepper and apple cider.  I've never measured anything so I couldn't give any exact numbers.  I am notorious for preparing way too much food because of that.

1170481[/snapback]

:D

That's my cooking philosophy to a T! My wife hates that I don't measure or cook by recipes.

I must admit, becasue of my inability to cook following recipes, I am a terrible baker!

1 lb-  unseasoned pork sausage (crumbled)

1/2 C- finely chopped onion

1/2 C- finely chopped celery

1/2 C- butter

1 C- finely chopped unpeeled mcintosh apples

1 C- dried cherries

1/3 C- cherry brandy

1 loaf- french baguette cubed

1/4 tsp- cinnamon

1/4 tsp- mace

1 tsp- salt

1/4 tsp- ground black pepper

1/2- 1 C- chicken broth

pinch nutmeg

pinch dreid sage

pinch dried thyme

brown sausage. saute onions and celery until soft.  combine all ingredients.  you might want to use an egg to bind.......

spray dish you are going to use to cook.  spread stuffing evenly in dish.  bake at 425 for 30 min (or unitl golden brown).  cover with foil (to prevent burning). lower temp to 350.  cook another 1 1/2 hrs until internal temp reaches 150.

1169174[/snapback]

Bier....I usually look at your suggestions and think they are first rate....have to say though, that for stuffing...the HOTTER the sausage is spiced the better!

Bier....I usually look at your suggestions and think they are first rate....have to say though, that for stuffing...the HOTTER the sausage is spiced the better!

1170966[/snapback]

understand.... for this recipe i like a more neutral flavor from the sausage because i want the others to come out. i've found that even mild seasoned sausage overwhelms the dish. plus, i know everyone has a different palette. try it with a hot sausage and let me know how it turns out :D

Well, too late for this year.... but I like what Bier does there. My family is died in the wool traditional Irish. have only in the past couple of years gotten them to embrace sausage in stuffing. My version includes a breakfast sausage.... as to Bier's comments about using flavored sausage, I find that it's fine, but just don't use too much. Simple recipe:

Fry some onions and celery until soft. Use unflavored bread stuffing, or do the stale bread thing as RR suggested. Most bread stuffings are over seasoned for my tastes. If you can use your own home made chicken broth, the better. This is hardly precise, but, about 6 cups bread crumbs, 2 eggs, 2 cups broth, and mix. Add the celery and onion, and precooked sausage if you like. Bell's seasoning is my preferred spice accoutrament, added to taste.

I am not crazy about any sort of fruit in there, or the Italian tradition of adding nuts of any sort. If ya want almonds, fine. Go get some, and put em out on an houre duerve dish. (yeah, I can't spell that) Bottom line, it's the gravy that will make or break the stuffing. That would be another thread though.

• 6 years later...
  • 9 years later...