[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

DeAngelo Williams vs Jonathan Stewart

Brentastic

Just you wait and see - DWill is going to be very good this year. Draft him and thank me at the end of the season. Unless DWill gets hurt, Stewart will not be a fantasy factor this season (IMHO).

Being the nets biggest Stew nuthugger, I'm finding that this might very well be the case. But to compare DWill to Westbrook is alittle over the top...don't ya think?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being the nets biggest Stew nuthugger, I'm finding that this might very well be the case. But to compare DWill to Westbrook is alittle over the top...don't ya think?

Perhaps a bit premature but everyone has to start somewhere and comparing their career stats and the fact that they both get the 'small' label and therefore perceived as not capable of hauling the full load. Here are the stats and you will see that DWill is ahead of Westy at the same point of their careers ( I have bolded attempts, yards, avg):

Westy:

YEAR TEAM G ATT YDS AVG LNG TD FD FUM LOST

2002 PHI 15 46 193 4.2 18 0 11 1 1

2003 PHI 15 117 613 5.2 62 7 27 0 0

2004 PHI 13 177 812 4.6 50 3 38 0 0

2005 PHI 12 156 617 4.0 31 3 27 0 0

2006 PHI 15 240 1217 5.1 71 7 60 1 1

2007 PHI 15 278 1333 4.8 36 7 73 0 0

DWill:

2006 CAR 13 121 501 4.1 31 1 30 1 0

2007 CAR 16 144 717 5.0 75 4 27 0 0

Perhaps a bit premature but everyone has to start somewhere and comparing their career stats and the fact that they both get the 'small' label and therefore perceived as not capable of hauling the full load. Here are the stats and you will see that DWill is ahead of Westy at the same point of their careers ( I have bolded attempts, yards, avg):

Westy:

DWill:

I had no idea DeAngelo had 5YPC last year....

the ideal way to compare is between both backs in the passing game...

Westy:

DWill:

I'm still not buying it. And looking at the stats you provided, I'll take Westbrook any day of the week. It's all a moot point anyway. If DWill wants to be a starter, it won't be in Carolina.

I'm still not buying it. And looking at the stats you provided, I'll take Westbrook any day of the week. It's all a moot point anyway. If DWill wants to be a starter, it won't be in Carolina.

I don't think he was saying that Williams is better than Westbrook, more that he could turn into a mini Westbrook...

Although Leon Washington is probably closer to that in my opinion.

I don't think he was saying that Williams is better than Westbrook, more that he could turn into a mini Westbrook...

Although Leon Washington is probably closer to that in my opinion.

Thanks for clarifying my point. And since you mentioned Leon Washington - why isn't HE the starter for NYJ?!?!?! Mangini needs to re-evaluate his RBs and get Leon some more touches - T. Jones is washed up (IMHO).

... I remember Foster looking very studdly in his first few years in Carolina and Fox still decided he preferred the '3 yards and a cloud of dust' he got from Davis....

Just wanted to point out that Fox actually got 4.5 yds per carry from Davis, not 3yds and a cloud of dust.

Just wanted to point out that Fox actually got 4.5 yds per carry from Davis, not 3yds and a cloud of dust.

In Davis's first year, you are correct. I was referring to Davis's final years when he was obviously 'washed up' and Foster was the better option (IMHO). In Davis's final year, although he had a lot of TDs, his yards per carry was 3.1.

do you understand the concept of average?

if his average for the season is 5.0, and his average in the 4th quarter is 5.0, what would that make his average in the first three quarters?

that's right, 5.0

he's saying that's when he gets most of his yardage as he usually does nothing early on in the game..

Man this is a long thread...

DeAngelo Williams SUCKS!!

Why are we still talking about this. Check his 2007 stats which I think someone already did. He had a run for 75 yds in week 6 which helped him rush for 121 yds and a td. His other good game was in week 17 when Tampa rested their stating D and starting O in preparation for the playoffs. Unless DeAngelo can break runs for 75 yds or play second string Ds on a regular basis...He SUCKS.

Fact is he may never have another 75 yard run in his career.

Stewart did well last year with a foot injury that is still healing up after his recent surgery. Once it does Fox will unleash the beast.

But this is coming from a guy that thinks Kevin Smith wins rookie of the year!!

Edited by Asskickas

In Davis's first year, you are correct. I was referring to Davis's final years when he was obviously 'washed up' and Foster was the better option (IMHO). In Davis's final year, although he had a lot of TDs, his yards per carry was 3.1.

See, I assumed that 2003 was the season you were talking about because in 2004 Davis only carried the ball 24 times due to injury and even though he rebounded with 180 carries in 2005 Fox actually gave Foster more carries that year with 205. Then after getting more carries for a higher avg per carry in 2005 Fox went with Foster.

Foster had more touches in 2005, 2006 & 2007 than any other rb in Carolina and he and Williams were virtually even in 2006 with 4.0 & 4.1 yd avgs each. And then this past season Williams outshined Foster quite a bit with a 5 yd average compared to Fosters 3.6, I think. And Foster is gone.

There is not much argument that Fox went with the right guy in 2003 when Davis was huge.

They had nothing but injuries in 2004,

Despite Davis having the better year of both backs last full season in 2003. The 2005 season saw the higher averaging Foster getting more carries

In 2006 Davis is gone and Foster is handed the starting job and performed well. With Williams not really doing anything more with his carries than Foster did with his, there was no reason to make a change

2007 saw a decline in Fosters numbers and now Foster is gone.

In other words I don't really see a pattern of Fox sticking with a lesser talented veteran over a rookie but instead that he has shown a willingness to give the ball to the back that is performing the best. And for the most part he has done a good job of using the talent that he has had to work with.

Edited by Jrick35

DeAngelo Williams SUCKS!!

Why are we still talking about this. Check his 2007 stats which I think someone already did. He had a run for 75 yds in week 6 which helped him rush for 121 yds and a td. His other good game was in week 17 when Tampa rested their stating D and starting O in preparation for the playoffs. Unless DeAngelo can break runs for 75 yds or play second string Ds on a regular basis...He SUCKS.

Stewart did well last year with a foot injury that is still healing up after his recent surgery. Once it does Fox will unleash the beast.

:wacko: I guess barry Sanders sucked too, right? Because he quite often had games with one long run, 10 for no gain, and 10 for 30 yards, giving him an impressive 20 for 100 or 5.0. But if you subtract, blah, blah, blah.....

That argument doesn't work. Next.

See, I assumed that 2003 was the season you were talking about because in 2004 Davis only carried the ball 24 times due to injury and even though he rebounded with 180 carries in 2005 Fox actually gave Foster more carries that year with 205. Then after getting more carries for a higher avg per carry in 2005 Fox went with Foster.

Foster had more touches in 2005, 2006 & 2007 than any other rb in Carolina and he and Williams were virtually even in 2006 with 4.0 & 4.1 yd avgs each. And then this past season Williams outshined Foster quite a bit with a 5 yd average compared to Fosters 3.6, I think. And Foster is gone.

There is not much argument that Fox went with the right guy in 2003 when Davis was huge.

They had nothing but injuries in 2004,

Despite Davis having the better year of both backs last full season in 2003. The 2005 season saw the higher averaging Foster getting more carries

In 2006 Davis is gone and Foster is handed the starting job and performed well. With Williams not really doing anything more with his carries than Foster did with his, there was no reason to make a change

2007 saw a decline in Fosters numbers and now Foster is gone.

In other words I don't really see a pattern of Fox sticking with a lesser talented veteran over a rookie but instead that he has shown a willingness to give the ball to the back that is performing the best. And for the most part he has done a good job of using the talent that he has had to work with.

Good analysis - I can buy that :wacko:

:wacko: I guess barry Sanders sucked too, right? Because he quite often had games with one long run, 10 for no gain, and 10 for 30 yards, giving him an impressive 20 for 100 or 5.0. But if you subtract, blah, blah, blah.....

That argument doesn't work. Next.

Yeah and comparing Barry Sanders to DeAngelo Williams does...Next..

Show me a season in Barry's career where he had less than 240 carries or less than 1000 yds . Thought so..ZERO.

If DeAngelo was any good Fox would have played him by now. Instead he has a whopping 265 carries 1218 yards and 5 tds in 2 years or 29 NFL games.

Barry's rookie season 280 carries, 1470 yds, and 14 tds. It will take DeAngelo 4+ years to get that done. LOL

DeAngelo SUCKS!!

The emphasis here IMO is the knock that DW has pass protect issues...if you question his skills at running the pigskin, then you are not considering him in your draft and the subject for those persons is moot...those who are considering DW should also consider that Carolina has the 3rd easist schedule for RB's this year...Delhomme is back...the box/blitz by D's will not be used against Carolina often after Smith (2 game susp.) and Hackett burn them....believe Carolina's "D" will be opportunistic and get more takeaways this year...all this adds up for DW to see plenty of action and some gaping holes...plus he is fast becoming a good 3rd down pass catching back....as a #2 you could do alot worse....Stewart will get carries and be big at the goaline...against the softer run "D"'s look for DW to get that 75 yarder!!

[

:wacko:

Yeah and comparing Barry Sanders to DeAngelo Williams does...Next..

Show me a season in Barry's career where he had less than 240 carries or less than 1000 yds . Thought so..ZERO.

If DeAngelo was any good Fox would have played him by now. Instead he has a whopping 265 carries 1218 yards and 5 tds in 2 years or 29 NFL games.

Barry's rookie season 280 carries, 1470 yds, and 14 tds. It will take DeAngelo 4+ years to get that done. LOL

DeAngelo SUCKS!!

:wacko:

So how many teams do you own Stewart on?

:D

Look at Deangelo's numbers. Every time he gets double digit carries, he goes off. He is one of those players where it is just a matter of touches before he busts a big one. I think he is a stud, but is a much, much different player than Westbrook. He is much more of a north/south slasher type than the true scatback that Westbrook and Washington are. He slips/shrugs tacklers rather than stopping and going around them.

• 2 months later...