[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Oklahoma City Thunder

Seahawks21

The knock on baseball is that there are a handful of teams that are nothing more than farm systems for NY, Boston & LA.

That's funny, after the Kazmir trade I assumed the Mets were Tampa Bay's farm team.

:wacko:

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The knock on baseball is that there are a handful of teams that are nothing more than farm systems for NY, Boston & LA. What it must be like to be a fan of the Pittsburgh Pirates or Kansas City Royals.

Or how about the Oakland A's or Tampa Rays who are also small revenue teams that somehow compete and retool annually? Don't mistake poorly run organizations for issues with economics.

If you're really quiet, you can already hear the crickets in OKC.....shhhh.....

The graphic on sportscenter last night read "Jokelahoma". :wacko:

The graphic on sportscenter last night read "Jokelahoma". :D

Yeah, meanwhile they had no problem giving Phoenix a good game 2 nights ago and easily covering.

Not that I bet the game or anything. . .

:wacko:

Or how about the Oakland A's or Tampa Rays who are also small revenue teams that somehow compete and retool annually? Don't mistake poorly run organizations for issues with economics.

The graphic on sportscenter last night read "Jokelahoma". :wacko:

Oakland is great, but they have the guy that most people consider the best GM in sports running their franchise. The Tampa Bay Rays have had one decent season in their history, I'm not sure how that equates to retooling annually. They are a great example though. Take a picture of this Tampa Bay Roster. Within three years, 9 out of their 10 best players will be playing for big market teams. That is just the way baseball works.

New question. Is this OKC team ultimately going to end up as the worst team ever?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Oakland is great, but they have the guy that most people consider the best GM in sports running their franchise. The Tampa Bay Rays have had one decent season in their history, I'm not sure how that equates to retooling annually. They are a great example though. Take a picture of this Tampa Bay Roster. Within three years, 9 out of their 10 best players will be playing for big market teams. That is just the way baseball works.

He should have said As and Marlins. The Marlins have a pretty effective system. Before your top guys can bail via free agency, trade them for tons of promising minor leaguers which will end up maturing into top guys themselves. This means you can put a pretty good run together every several years. They've managed to close the deal more often than most teams have over the last 15 years or so.

Would you have nailed Philadelphia and Tampa? Colorado in '07? Detroit in '06? White Sox and Astros in '05? Try it again on May 1st '09 and you might do it, but there's a distinct degree of crapshoot that exists in baseball that just doesn't exist in basketball.

Would you bet me that Utah, Orlando, or Atlanta would make the Finals over each of the six teams I listed above?

Didn't think so. :D

Don't bother, the perception that salary cap = more competitive will always trump the fact that it simply doesn't automatically work out that way. A further indictment of the situation is that the cap has failed to level the playing field in the NBA despite the fact that over half the teams in the league make the play-offs.

So, on top of the salary cap, over half the teams are put into a tourney where, playing hot for several weeks can trump the entire season, and yet 5 teams have won all but 4 of the titles in the last 29 years.

Yep, sounds like the NBA has it all figured out. :wacko:

• 4 weeks later...
After starting 4-30, they've reeled off 5 wins in 10 games, now only a half-game behind Washington for the second-worst record in the NBA, and a game behind Sacramento for the third-worst.

Thanks for bumping this... I forgot to come find this thread and link this story from USA Today about the Thunder and OKC as an NBA city. Looks like they're doing better than many imagined.

After starting 4-30, they've reeled off 5 wins in 10 games, now only a half-game behind Washington for the second-worst record in the NBA, and a game behind Sacramento for the third-worst.

:wacko: I've got friends back home that are Warrior and Clippers fans. Your whole statement sounds exactly like the kind of thing I'm sure I've heard them say a bunch of times over the years.

Thanks for bumping this... I forgot to come find this thread and link this story from USA Today about the Thunder and OKC as an NBA city. Looks like they're doing better than many imagined.

It's been six-weeks since they had half-empty houses and sub-1.0 TV ratings. And that coincides with the end of football season. They do have Zorgon.

:wacko: I've got friends back home that are Warrior and Clippers fans. Your whole statement sounds exactly like the kind of thing I'm sure I've heard them say a bunch of times over the years.

Leave us Warrior fans out of this. We just had a rash of losses by one point all happening in the last few seconds of games (OKC, SAC, CLE) in the most recent homestand.

And the best NBA record in January belongs to...................the Timberwolves. :wacko:

10-2 in January and 12-4 since coming off a 13 game losing streak. Should have won two, maybe 3 of those 4 too. He may have been the worst GM in sports but Kevin McHale sure can coach.

And the best NBA record in January belongs to...................the Timberwolves. :wacko:

10-2 in January and 12-4 since coming off a 13 game losing streak. Should have won two, maybe 3 of those 4 too. He may have been the worst GM in sports but Kevin McHale sure can coach.

Al Jefferson is sick. Kevin Love isn't hitting any kind of rookie wall.

I have not had time to catch much NBA action this season, just bits and pieces here and there. Basically enough to see how bad the Warriors are, how good the Lakers are and the occassional late night replay on ESPN. Hopefully that will change in the next 6 weeks or so.

Al Jefferson is sick. Kevin Love isn't hitting any kind of rookie wall.

Al Jeff didn't make the All-Star team!! Pau made it instead. That is absolute travesty.

Wow, these young Thunder are getting fun! I miss them so much now. Durant is ridiculous. Jeff Green is Scottie Pippen in the making. Westbrook reminds me of Baron Davis. These guys are going to be really really good at some point. I was hoping it wouldn't happen for a few years so Clay-Clay couldn't profit off of them, but it looks like they'll be around a while. Still just makes me sick.

Al Jeff didn't make the All-Star team!! Pau made it instead. That is absolute travesty.

Wow, these young Thunder are getting fun! I miss them so much now. Durant is ridiculous. Jeff Green is Scottie Pippen in the making. Westbrook reminds me of Baron Davis. These guys are going to be really really good at some point. I was hoping it wouldn't happen for a few years so Clay-Clay couldn't profit off of them, but it looks like they'll be around a while. Still just makes me sick.

I feel your pain, or at least I try to... only teams I've ever really "lost" were the Rams and Raiders. :wacko:

Durant is a scoring machine. Don't know much about Jeff Green but he's been filling up the box score a la Pippen. Westbrook is looking great. They'll obviously be in the lottery this year. If they somehow get the #1, getting Blake Griffin will be absolutely HUGH for them. Give 'em 2-3 years and maybe they'll make some noise as the San Antonios and Phoenixes drop off after their players file for Social Security.

It's expected here. Went to the Lakers game at Minny last night and though Big Al did everything he could (34 points), it wasn't even close. Bynum is a total beast.

• 2 weeks later...
Sweet. Now if that happened more than once every few seasons. . .you know, like once a period. . .I'd watch.

Its called Minor League Hockey. Perhaps the best sport to watch live and I'm no Hockey fan by any margin. If you have a local Minor league team, I strongly suggest you pick a night and go be truly entertained.

Now as far as Oklahoma City Thunder? lmao!! Where the HELL have I been?????? They have an NBA team? Seriously? When did this happen???

Until they raise the basket at least a foot (cause you know those white guys that played the game when it was invented were averaging 6"7' lol) the game will always be nothing but a joke.

Until they raise the basket at least a foot (cause you know those white guys that played the game when it was invented were averaging 6"7' lol) the game will always be nothing but a joke.

The average height of an NBA player right now is a little under 6' 7".

At the professional level, most male players are above 6 ft 3 in (1.90 m) and most women above 5 ft 7 in (1.70 m). Guards, for whom physical coordination and ball-handling skills are crucial, tend to be the smallest players. Almost all forwards in the men's pro leagues are 6 ft 6 in (2 m) or taller. Most centers are over 6 ft 10 in (2.1 m) tall. According to a survey given to all NBA teams, the average height of all NBA players is just under 6 ft 7 in (2.01 m), with the average weight being close to 222 lb (101 kg). The tallest players ever in the NBA were Manute Bol and Gheorghe Mureşan, who were both 7 ft 7 in (2.31 m) tall. The tallest current NBA player is Yao Ming, who stands at 7 ft 6 in (2.29 m).

Basket is ten feet high - it probably should be moved up at least six inches. I also think the 3 point line should go back a foot too.

Basket is ten feet high - it probably should be moved up at least six inches. I also think the 3 point line should go back a foot too.

When was the last time you stepped on a basketball court? Have you ever?

Both of these recommendations are downright blasphemous. :wacko: