[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hockey Playoff Predictions

Hugh 0ne

OK, let's here what y'all think.

THE EAST (6 teams over 100 points, unbelievable)

Tampa Bay vs. New York - Although Tampa may not be sure who the starting goalie will be, they are just way too much for a mediocre Islander team. Lightning in 5

Boston vs. Montreal - Classic matchup. Both teams made some great moves at the deadline to improve their squads. Thornton's injury will be a key here as well. Another key will be how Raycroft handles the pressure of his first playof experience. Tough call here, but I'll go with the home ice and Bruins in 7

Devils vs. Philly - This is going to be nasty. The Devils lose home ice by losing to the Bruins, and will take the show to Philly. I don't think this hurts New Jersey. They are built for playoff hockey on the road. Once again, Philadelphia's goaltending will be there downfall, as Robert Esche is just not the answer imo. Devils in 6

Toronto vs. Ottawa - Wow, this should be a classic. Two Canadian teams that just don't like each other. With the additions of veterans Leetch and Francis, this Toronto team has a lot of playoff experience, and will be real tough to beat. They're nasty to play against, and they will wear opponents down, especially potentially soft ones like Ottawa. Toronto in 6

THE WEST

Detroit vs. Nashville - A team making their first playoff appearance against the President's Trophy winner. Nashville has allowed the most goals out of any playoff team. Wings are just way too much for the Predators, and it will be a short playoff experience for Nashville. Detroit in 4

San Jose vs. St. Louis - San Jose reminds me of the Lightning in the east, they've very quietly put together a heck of a season. They are alos the hottest team over the last 10 games heading into the playoffs. I'll take San Jose in 6

Vancouver vs. Calgary - The loss of Bertuzzi will be too much to overcome throughout an entire playoff series imo. I like the Flames in this one. Flames in 7.

Colorado vs. Dallas - Dallas is 26-7-8 at home, and only 15-19-5 on the road, and they do not have the home ice in this series. Bad news. Colorado is struggling going into the playoffs, only 2-5-1-2 in their last 10. However, Kariya, Selanne, Forsberg, Hedjuk, Blake and company will be too much for Dallas. Aebischer's in-experience won't hurt them in this round. Colorado in 6

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, yeah, I've got to take a crack at this. I'm still smarting from the drubbing that Trojan gave me in the finals. By the way, who the sh*t is that guy behind Dan Cloutier's mask? Cuz it sure wasn't the guy who was there all year! Goaltending was my strength all year until the last two weeks! Anyway, here are my thoughts on Hugh's predictions:

Tampa Bay vs. New York -  Lightning in 5

I agree - the Bolts goaltending will be exposed later, but not in this series.

Boston vs. Montreal - Bruins in 7 
I don't think it's going to be that close if Thorton is healthy, but maybe they go 6, not a big difference. B's are playing well and Razor will be fine in net. Bruins in 6

Devils vs. Philly - Devils in 6 
I'm going to lean against recent history here and take the Flyers. The Stanley Cup hangover is terminal for the Stevens-less Devils, although it's tough to bet against Brodeur. Flyers in 7

Toronto vs. Ottawa - Toronto in 6 
I really want to pick the Sens here, but I just can't. There's something wrong in Ottawa and I don't think it's just Lalime. Prusek's been chased, too. I agree with Hugh here - the Leafs will be too physical and take it in 6.

Detroit vs. Nashville -  Detroit in 4

If the Preds were playing like earlier in the year and the Wings were overconfident, I'd say it would go longer, but I'm taking my boys here. The paranoia in me says it'll go 5 games, but so what?

San Jose vs. St. Louis -  I'll take San Jose in 6 
Here's my against-all-reason, upset pick. The experience of the Blues and the playoff-type atmosphere in which they've played lately will put them over the top against the Sharks. Blues in 7

Vancouver vs. Calgary -  Flames in 7.
Agreed. Despite my recent experience, Kipper is better than Cloutier and the Canucks will miss Bertuzzi even more in the playoffs.

Colorado vs. Dallas -  Colorado in 6 
The Avs may have not wanted home-ice after their problems in the Pepsi Center this year. Despite the firepower of the Avs, I think a fired-up and rested Turco steals this series for the Stars. Stars in 6

Stole some of the original formatting.

THE EAST (6 teams over 100 points, unbelievable)

Tampa Bay vs. New York - Lightning in 6 Living down here, theres a weird feeling about this Lightening team - almost like people aren't sure they should believe they are a top team

Boston vs. Montreal - Canadians in 6 Think Boston got a bad draw here, and goes out early.

Devils vs. Philly - man, being a huge flyers fan, wanted to see us matched up with Montreal first round - think we could have gotten by them pretty easy. Gonna be rough, but I think taht last game tie helps us Flyers in 7

Toronto vs. Ottawa - "Wow, this should be a classic. Two Canadian teams that just don't like each other." stealing your line and prediction Toronto in 6

THE WEST

Detroit vs. Nashville - may be the only blowout Detroit in 4

San Jose vs. St. Louis - Lot of people like St. Louis as they've been kindof hot lately - think I'll ride that for now St Louis in 6

Vancouver vs. Calgary - I like the Canucks to come together here Vancouver in 5.

Colorado vs. Dallas - Could turn on Kariya's injury - think it may end up the bet series Colorado in 7

Thorne, Clemente & Panger check'in in here.......

Lightning / Isles-

too much firepower in TB for the Islanders to survive. 5 or 6 20-goal scorers & a bazillion helpers..... with the best netminding "tandem" (sorry for the quote abuse H-1 wink )..... in the league. They got a taste of what it's like in the playoffs last year... I like TB in 5.

Bruins / Habs -

Raycroft vs. Theodore. gimme #60 in red. smash

Canadians in 6.

Flyers/Devils-

gonna be some blood on the ice here. eek! I rode Philly all year on the puddle so I ain't gonna jump off the bandwagon now. Esche is better than some think when healthy.... Philly in 7.

Maple Leafs / Senators-

wow is right. firepower city here. Still like the addition of Leetch more than anything Ottawa did @ the deadline including Bondra who may be hurt. And the way Belfour is playing heading into the dance I gotta give the edge to toronto. Lalime has been a sieve @ times because he's used to so much goal support, IMHO. Prusek has actually played better when given the chance.

Toronto in 6.

RedWings / Preds-

Detroit in 4....... done. coach

Sharks / Blues-

love San Jose. they're gonna suprise. thinking St. Louis back doors into the dance & are shaky at best IMO. Osgood is gonna get peppered. eek!

San Jose is 5.

Canucks / Flames-

Vancouver has somewhat righted the ship after the Bertuzzi incident. They finished strong..... made some good moves especially adding Rucinsky.... but goaltending is a concern. Kiprusoff is hell & gone from Cloutier / Hedberg.... but I still like the Canuckleheads to advance in 6.

Avs / Stars-

Avs, Avs, Avs..... even without Kariya. Dallas scares me... but I hate the Stars with everything I got angry ..... kinda like H-1 & his friendly neighbors to the north. It's a deep embedded hatred that stems from my beloved Northstars being moved to Dallas in the 80's. We will never forget. Colorado in 6.

Habs over Bruins? Please. Even if Raycroft falters, they have a solid #2 in Felix, plus more offensive firepower than the Canadiens as well; IMO the worst luck in the East is the Flyers getting stuck playing the Devils - Brodeur is a playoff god. Buh-bye, Philly.

Whatever happened to redwings.cup?

I'm a Red Wings homer, but I cannot rival his homerism.

I think that the Wings will go as far as Legace will take them, which should be pretty far.

Furd:

That guy used to kill me. He was actually a pretty cool guy, but his blinding Red Wing homerism would drive you nuts. It was like wall_bas

He was around during football season, but haven's seen him since.

Big John, whatcha got? computer

Doctor H-1:

Furd:

That guy used to kill me. He was actually a pretty cool guy, but his blinding Red Wing homerism would drive you nuts. It was like wall_bas

He was around during football season, but haven's seen him since.

Big John, whatcha got? computer

computer He was not around during football season, as he did not renew his membership.

Since this forum was not purged, here is his last post on Feb. 2003.

Interesting action in Vegas on the hockey playoffs:

Money has been moving towards both Dallas (+160 open to +150 current) and Calgary (+170 to +160) for tonight. For tomorrow, looks like the move is in favor of Ottawa (+140 to +130) and NJ (same as OTT). Money is all moving to the underdogs - gotta be tough to handicap the first games!

Most interesting is that SJ is only -160 vs. the Blues. Hmmm...

RWings:

Money has been moving towards both Dallas (+160 open to +150 current) and Calgary (+170 to +160) for tonight.  For tomorrow, looks like the move is in favor of Ottawa (+140 to +130) and NJ (same as OTT).  Money is all moving to the underdogs - gotta be tough to handicap the first games!

Most interesting is that SJ is only -160 vs. the Blues.  Hmmm...

Not a gambler, so that makes about as much sense as one of moneymakers posts.

Can you explain this to a layman such as myself?

Any other puckhead prognosticators out there before the first faceoff?

Here are the current picks from the 5 experts:

East

Bolts 4-1

Bruins 3-2

Flyers 4-1

Leafs 5-0 No love for Lalime!

West

Wings 5-0

Blues 3-2 Wow!

Flames 3-2

Avs 4-1

Can't wait for 7pm EST! jump jump

King H-1:

RWings:

Money has been moving towards both Dallas (+160 open to +150 current) and Calgary (+170 to +160) for tonight.  For tomorrow, looks like the move is in favor of Ottawa (+140 to +130) and NJ (same as OTT).  Money is all moving to the underdogs - gotta be tough to handicap the first games!

Most interesting is that SJ is only -160 vs. the Blues.  Hmmm...

Not a gambler, so that makes about as much sense as one of moneymakers posts.

Can you explain this to a layman such as myself?

I've never bet on hockey myself (can't imagine a more frustrating gig!), but I think the Vegas angle is always interesting to understand.

The line is just the amount you'd have to bet to win $100. So with the Sharks at -160, you'd have to bet $160 to win $100. There is no differential that they would have to win by. The do have over/unders, but it seems like they are always 4.5 to 5.5 - but it gives you some idea if Vegas forecasts a high or low scoring affair.

Thanks for playing, justin. Now it's:

East

Bolts 5-1

Bruins 4-2

Flyers 4-2

Leafs 6-0

West

Wings 6-0

SJ/StL 3-3

Flames 4-2

Avs 5-1

The only thing I can garner outta this is it's time to put money on the Preds and the Sens!

And, yes, as a diehard Wings fan, that first goal last night put me facedown on the floor with feverish nightmares of Anaheim!

Also, who's more money in the playoffs than Forsberg? Man, is he tough...

Down Goes Frazia:

Originally posted by RWings:

too bad he only plays 30 games during the puddle season. angry

when healthy.... he is the finest hockey player on the planet, IMHO. thumbs_u

...And you'll draft him again in the first round next year, right Frazia? :D

RWings:

Down Goes Frazia:

Originally posted by RWings:

too bad he only plays 30 games during the puddle season. angry

when healthy.... he is the finest hockey player on the planet, IMHO. thumbs_u

...And you'll draft him again in the first round next year, right Frazia? :D
he may be go'in home to Stockholm to play in the swedish premier league... from what I've heard. shrug

Sensai H1:

Down Goes Frazia:

he may be go'in home to Stockholm to play in the swedish premier league... from what I've heard.    shrug

I would assume that depends on the impending lockout. yeah probably so. He sure looked good last night..... so strong in front of the net..... and a frigg'in magician in open ice.

Down Goes Frazia:

Sensai H1:

Down Goes Frazia:

he may be go'in home to Stockholm to play in the swedish premier league... from what I've heard.  shrug   

I would assume that depends on the impending lockout.
yeah probably so. He sure looked good last night..... so strong in front of the net..... and a frigg'in magician in open ice. applause Atta boy Fraz, I'm proud of you, you used the quote feature correctly. jump wink

How many of you guys think an NHL strike/lockout is just unbelievable to consider - they shot themselves in the foot in 95, when if they had figured it out, may have really risen as a sport after the Rangers win. Instead, lose the beginning of the season and sink the sport to sub 1.0 ratings for a decade.

If they have some classic playoff series, and then do it again....I just can't imagine it. And I know the economics - figure it out, but do it on your time, not the fans...

How many of you guys think an NHL strike/lockout is just unbelievable to consider
I'm not happy about the possibility, but I'd be very surprised if there wasn't a work stoppage. I'm not saying the NHL can afford to have one, I wonder if they can afford not to have one. The percentage of revenues that goes to salaries is out of hand, the players union isn't as strong as baseball's union, I wonder if they are as weak as football's. I'd love it if they got everything settled, but I'd be surprised.