[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Steven Jackson

hooknladder

You guys may want to check the in-season threads the last two years about Jackson. There will be another one this year I'm sure. All of you guys that reach for Jackson will be whining about how much of a girl he is, and how you will never ever own him again, and how he is killing your franchise. I have just had to read wayyyy to many of those threads to have any faith in him at all.

If you want to pile into the wagering, feel free to step up.

Edited by Seahawks21

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys may want to check the in-season threads the last two years about Jackson. There will be another one this year I'm sure. All of you guys that reach for Jackson will be whining about how much of a girl he is, and how you will never ever own him again, and how he is killing your franchise. I have just had to read wayyyy to many of those threads to have any faith in him at all.

If you want to pile into the wagering, feel free to step up.

1st you said how good he looked in pads...now your calling him a girl....i'm starting to pick up on a pretty serious bromance! :wacko:

Cool. Its a fun bet. It could afford a lot of drama and still end up being cheap. Good job Swami.

Thats what I thought and thats why I wouldn't mind including others. It will be more fun than anything.

Spagnuolo Sees Jackson As His Key Player

Posted by Mike Florio on July 1, 2009 10:57 PM

As Steve Spagnuolo prepares for his maiden voyage as head coach of a team that has won only five games over the past two years, he recently was asked to identify the one position on a depleted Rams team about which he is the most comfortable.

It's running back.

Specifically, it's Steven Jackson.

"I think he's one of the premier backs in the league," told Dennis Dillon of SportingNews.com. "A lot of guys showed tremendous commitment and leadership during the offseason workouts, but he stuck out."

Jackson turns 26 later this month. And that's smack dab in the middle of middle age, especially for a tailback who doesn't avoid contact but embraces contact.

So he's got four good years left, at the most.

And Spagnuolo will need to get the most out of Jackson that he can, if the Rams are going to get any better in 2009.

let's keep our fingers crossed. :wacko:

Of course Spag' sees SJax as his key player. I ask you- whom else would Spagnuolo see as his key player other than SJax? The guy is built like a Greek god and he has one of the better all around skill sets in professional football. There's never been any question about his abilty or potential it's all about him staying on the field. If he does that he's all but a lock to be a top 5 fantasy rb and he could even be the best player in all of fantasy again if a few things fall in line.

• 1 month later...

I was going to start a new thread, but I figured I would append to this one because so much information has already been written.

My topic is SJax vs. Chris Johnson

Recently, I drafted SJax 4th in a new keeper league. I told myself that I was going to draft Chris Johnson, but so many rankings had SJax rated higher, and I kind of let all those "experts" decide for me, but I was conflicted. The very next day, I see that The Huddle drops him to 5th in their rankings due to the poor offensive line performance. So, I have a bit of buyer's remorse, and I thought about proposing a trade for Chris Johnson, who went with the 6th pick because the owner said he was hoping that SJax would fall to him. Would you trade SJax for Chris Johnson? I'm certainly leaning towards it.

I've been reading a lot of discussions and here's a list of arguments for and against. While most folks will agree that SJax is a phenomenal RB, his fantasy value varies greatly (and I mean 1st or 2nd round, so not too greatly)

Reasons to pick SJax in the first round or early first round

• SJax's PPG is phenomenal in PPR because he is a dual threat. Using FBG's scoring with +1 for PPR for 2008, SJax scored 190.2 points, +40 points for his 40 receptions = 230.2 points, divided by 12 games = 19.18 ppg. Note: He only played 12 games. That's third place for PPG behind Brian Westbrook (19.41) and Matt Forte (19.22)
  • Spagnuolo Sees Jackson As His Key Player so he is Option #1.
  • His offensive line will be better with a new center Ex-Raven Jason Brown and top draft pick Jason Smith
  • He's back to running behind a fullback Mike Karney. The last time he ran behind a full back was his superstar year in 2006.
  • In spite injury, SJax has managed to run off four straight 1,000-yard rushing seasons with only Westbrook and LT gaining more yards from scrimmage in the same time span.
  • SJax looks like a STUD in pads. Have you seen him lately? This guy is a beast. http://i.tsn.com/i/photos/20090803/120492.jpg

Reasons not to pick SJax early in first round or until second

• SJax has been injured the last 2 years causing him to miss 8 games. Sure, no one can predict injury, but still it's the same reason folks shy away from Westbrook.
  • SJax is the only option for the Rams, so they will stack the box against him. Bulger is no longer elite. Avery is a second year receiver who isn't scaring anyone. Plus, he's hurt right now.
  • SJax's contact running style leads to injury more easily.
  • The offensive line is not better. Jason Smith is developing slower than expected for a first rounder.

Reasons to pick Chris Johnson

• Will be more involved in the passing game
  • C. Johnson---1228 yards rushing and 10 TD's in his rookie year - stats provided by Seahawks21's earlier post.
  • There are reasons to believe a little less of a time share and more of a featured role for Johnson. Not a lot more, but a little more.

Reasons not to pick Chris Johnson

• LenDale White will vulture his TDs - RBBC nightmare.
  • Sophmore slump - defenses won't be caught surprised this year

I see a lot less reasons not to like Chris Johnson, but is he better than SJax? Certainly, SJax is more proven. I say that PPG is overvalued and you have to look at the whole year including injuries. The Rams don't look like they are going to be significantly better this year, and if they are playing behind, then that means SJax will have less opportunities to run. Mind you, he will be thrown to. His PPG is incredible considering how bad they've been the last 2 years, but i think Chris Johnson is in a better situation and having White and maybe even Ringer to spell him, will keep him fresh. While some like the idea that SJax is the only true featured back, it also means that defenses can plan around defending him if no one else can step up consistently.

In sum, both players in my opinion are first rounders, but I'm starting to believe that SJax has been overvalued this year and he's a lower first rounder with a HUGE upside. Again, would you trade SJax for Chris Johnson? How about DeAngelo Williams? Food for thought.

Edited by electricrelish

I was going to start a new thread, but I figured I would append to this one because so much information has already been written.

Recently, I drafted SJax 4th in a new keeper league. I told myself that I was going to draft Chris Johnson, but so many rankings had SJax rated higher, and I kind of let all those "experts" decide for me, but I was conflicted. The very next day, I see that The Huddle drops him to 5th in their rankings due to the poor offensive line performance. So, I have a bit of buyer's remorse, and I thought about proposing a trade for Chris Johnson, who went with the 6th pick because the owner said he was hoping that SJax would fall to him. Would you trade SJax for Chris Johnson? I'm certainly leaning towards it.

I've been reading a lot of discussions and here's a list of arguments for and against. While most folks will agree that SJax is a phenomenal RB, his fantasy value varies greatly (and I mean 1st or 2nd round, so not too greatly)

• SJax's PPG is phenomenal in PPR because he is a dual threat. Using FBG's scoring with +1 for PPR for 2008, SJax scored 190.2 points, +40 points for his 40 receptions = 230.2 points, divided by 12 games = 19.18 ppg. Note: He only played 12 games. That's third place for PPG behind Brian Westbrook (19.41) and Matt Forte (19.22)

• His offensive line will be better with a new center Ex-Raven Jason Brown and top draft pick Jason Smith

• He's back to running behind a fullback Mike Karney. The last time he ran behind a full back was his superstar year in 2006.

• In spite injury, SJax has managed to run off four straight 1,000-yard rushing seasons with only Westbrook and LT gaining more yards from scrimmage in the same time span.

• SJax looks like a STUD in pads. Have you seen him lately? This guy is a beast. http://i.tsn.com/i/photos/20090803/120492.jpg

• SJax has been injured the last 2 years causing him to miss 8 games. Sure, no one can predict injury, but still it's the same reason folks shy away from Westbrook.

• SJax is the only option for the Rams, so they will stack the box against him. Bulger is no longer elite. Avery is a second year receiver who isn't scaring anyone. Plus, he's hurt right now.

• The offensive line is not better. Jason Smith is developing slower than expected for a first rounder.

• C. Johnson---1228 yards rushing and 10 TD's in his rookie year - stats provided by Seahawks21's earlier post.

• There are reasons to believe a little less of a time share and more of a featured role for Johnson. Not a lot more, but a little more.

I see a lot less reasons not to like Chris Johnson, but is he better than SJax? Certainly, SJax is more proven. I say that PPG is overvalued and you have to look at the whole year including injuries. The Rams don't look like they are going to be significantly better this year, and if they are playing behind, then that means SJax will have less opportunities to run. Mind you, he will be thrown to. His PPG is incredible considering how bad they've been the last 2 years, but i think Chris Johnson is in a better situation and having White and maybe even Ringer to spell him, will keep him fresh. While some like the idea that SJax is the only true featured back, it also means that defenses can plan around defending him if no one else can step up consistently.

In sum, both players in my opinion are first rounders, but I'm starting to believe that SJax has been overvalued this year and he's a lower first rounder with a HUGE upside. Again, would you trade SJax for Chris Johnson? How about DeAngelo Williams? Food for thought.

here's the thing....when you see advice from a site like The Huddle or any other site....the main thing you want to see is if their opinion coincides with yours and if not - then why?

and if it's only a difference of one draft position, you definitely should have stuck to your guns....because at the end of the day it's still an estimate...but The Huddle offers sound advice and you the reason why you should read the Rankings is for the later picks and see if you're missing out on any potential sleepers....

also...one of the murkiest draft positions for me is the spot around where Chris Johnson and Steven Jackson is...and the only reasons Steven Jackson might get the nod is that he's the only back they have that is worth playing and since they have only Donnie Avery to throw to who is already hurt - this means SJax is going to get a ton of looks in the passing game...

having said that...Chris Johnson sharing the load means he is more fresh late in the game where the opposing defense begins losing their cool...this allows for more big plays....

it really is a flip of the coin - I personally usually lean towards the RB who is not sharing.....but the Rams are just god awful...

this just feels like one of those things that you'll end up kicking yourself over no matter which way you go....so I just say to go after the player you want on your team the most....

:wacko: from a homer on SJax:

- Bulger is ALREADY hurt and the season hasn't started. He says he'll be back for week 1, we"ll see.

- The O-line may actually be worse than last year since our #2 overall pick apparently can't block yet.

- The TE's will basically have to be used as blockers (as usual) because of the last item.

- With the exception of Avery (who is returning from an injury) the WR's are all inexperienced, or new to the team.

- There is a new offense, new coach and new coordinator.

Because of these things, we know 2 things for sure:

#1 - OF COURSE SJax is Spag's Plan A, he has no other real options.

#2 - All of the things listed above are public knowledge, and everyone - especially Defensive Coordinators - knows all of them.

So that means that the Rams will see 8,9,10 and however many men in the box they need to stop Jackson. Every team is going to make the Rams beat them through the air. Jackson doesn't like traffic, especially for a big guy, so it will be extremely tough sledding for a historically fragile-ish kind of guy.

It pains me to say it, but I'm passing on him this year. :D

Edited by STL Fan

Wishful thinking is the one and only reason this guy still goes in the first round. My bet is that this is his last year as a first round pick. If your gut tells you that he is going to go off this year, you have to follow it. Just know that logic and history are not in his favor. He has had numbers worthy of a first round pick only once in his career. Every other year he is a waste of a first round pick for anybody that drafted him. I just can't roll those kind of dice with a first round pick. In a keeper league, Johnson 100 times out of 100 over Jackson.

I may only be this down on him because of the huge expectations I had for him for most of his career, but I've also had to listen to endless whining from the people that drafted over the past couple years. The guy is a fantasy team killer. Couple that with no receivers, a brittle QB, one of the worst OL's in history, and a bottom 5 defense in the league. They're going to be behind 14+ points by halftime in at least a handful of games, if not most. I see Stephen Jackson quitting a bit like he has done the past few years. He won't be in a hurry to play through injuries, and he won't mind being taken out down by 20. I just can't get myself to see the kind of upside that could make this guy a first round pick, let alone a high first round pick.

Edited by Seahawks21

Wishful thinking is the one and only reason this guy still goes in the first round. My bet is that this is his last year as a first round pick. If your gut tells you that he is going to go off this year, you have to follow it. Just know that logic and history are not in his favor. He has had numbers worthy of a first round pick only once in his career. Every other year he is a waste of a first round pick for anybody that drafted him. I just can't roll those kind of dice with a first round pick. In a keeper league, Johnson 100 times out of 100 over Jackson.

I may only be this down on him because of the huge expectations I had for him for most of his career, but I've also had to listen to endless whining from the people that drafted over the past couple years. The guy is a fantasy team killer. Couple that with no receivers, a brittle QB, one of the worst OL's in history, and a bottom 5 defense in the league. They're going to be behind 14+ points by halftime in at least a handful of games, if not most. I see Stephen Jackson quitting a bit like he has done the past few years. He won't be in a hurry to play through injuries, and he won't mind being taken out down by 20. I just can't get myself to see the kind of upside that could make this guy a first round pick, let alone a high first round pick.

fwiw, the "injury prone" Sjax over the past 3 years has missed an average of 2.7 games/year...the average games missed for a top 12 RB over the last 3 years sits at 2.6 games....and if you just want to look at SJax's last 2 years then he is missing just 1.4 games more then the average for games missed by TOP 12 RBs the last 3 years.

in another thread around here i posted that I think 65% of all Top 12 RBs the past 3 yrs miss games and 50% of those miss MULTIPLE games.

Edit: this thread http://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?show...p;#entry2908962

Edited by keggerz

Hey Electric! Great work! Can you do a Forte vs. LT at the 4th pick pretty pretty please??? I'm really thinkin LT...

Thanks a lot!

fwiw, the "injury prone" Sjax over the past 3 years has missed an average of 2.7 games/year...the average games missed for a top 12 RB over the last 3 years sits at 2.6 games....and if you just want to look at SJax's last 2 years then he is missing just 1.4 games more then the average for games missed by TOP 12 RBs the last 3 years.

in another thread around here i posted that I think 65% of all Top 12 RBs the past 3 yrs miss games and 50% of those miss MULTIPLE games.

Edit: this thread http://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?show...p;#entry2908962

I owned Sjax in a league last year and IIRC, it wasn't 100% about him missing games per se. Between games that the Rams sucked and couldn't put up any offense, the games that SJax missed, and then add in the games he either left early because he was hurt or he played hurt and couldn't put up real yards.. He just wasn't that useful for half the season. So yes, he has only missed the complete game a few times, but I don't know if any of the other factors have changed in STL. They still have a suspect O line, they still have a question mark at QB, they still have questionable WRs, and the health of Sjax is questionable (especially when he is the only real weapon).

So take him #5 and watch him put up #14 numbers for the 13 weeks he plays. SJax is a quality player, but there is a time to take him and a time to pass on him. For me, that high is too high to gamble on his health and the Rams magically finding another weapon around him.

Hey Electric! Great work! Can you do a Forte vs. LT at the 4th pick pretty pretty please??? I'm really thinkin LT...

Thanks a lot!

Tboogs, I just summarized all the things I read that other folks said about SJax and then listed what is well known about Chris Johnson. There is so much discussion about SJax, which is why I decided to make a list of all the arguments for and against. Here's what I know about LT and Forte.

Reasons for Forte

• PPR Stud in his rookie year, with Jay Cutler that could be even more.

• Gets lots of carries and is consistent.

• There should be more opportunities for longer runs because Cutler can keep the defenders honest for fear of his cannon arm.

Reasons not for Forte

• Yards Per Carry (YPC) is low for a top tier RB. He makes up for it because he has so many carries.

• He won't catch as many passes because Jay Cutler isn't a dink and dunk QB. Cutler has an arm and can extend the field, so he won't have to dump his passes off to Forte.

• Kevin Jones is healthy. Jones has looked good in camp, and is expected to get more carries and third down opportunities this year. They will want to keep Forte fresh, so he won't get nearly the number of carries he did last year.

• He will get less carries because with Cutler, they now have a legitimate passing game.

Reasons for LT

• Norv Turner says he plans to use LT a lot - does that mean 300 carries? Maybe.

• It's a do or die year for LT, and he knows it. He'll be going for it.

• He's on a really good team that is a Superbowl favorite. It makes a difference being on a good team.

• He's LT, arguably the greatest Fantasy Football player ever.

Reasons against LT

• He's 30 years old. RB's typically slow down considerably in year 30, although there are exceptions. Thomas Jones was awesome last year at age 30.

• His numbers have gone down the last 2 years, but they were still good years, just not extraordinary years.

• He's been slowed down as the season progresses by injuries the last two years.

• Darren Sproles will steal carries and goal line work from him.

• The Chargers are more of a passing team now with big time contract signer Philip Rivers at the helm.

If it's a redraft league, I'd go with LT. I love Forte, and he won a championship for me last year when Addai and Parker were injured. However, Forte's YPC needs to improve before I can say he is elite.

Edited by electricrelish

Tboogs, I just summarized all the things I read that other folks said about SJax and then listed what is well known about Chris Johnson. There is so much discussion about SJax, which is why I decided to make a list of all the arguments for and against. Here's what I know about LT and Forte.

Reasons for Forte

• PPR Stud in his rookie year, with Jay Cutler that could be even more.

• Gets lots of carries and is consistent.

• There should be more opportunities for longer runs because Cutler can keep the defenders honest for fear of his cannon arm.

Reasons not for Forte

• Yards Per Carry (YPC) is low for a top tier RB. He makes up for it because he has so many carries.

• He won't catch as many passes because Jay Cutler isn't a dink and dunk QB. Cutler has an arm and can extend the field, so he won't have to dump his passes off to Forte.

• Kevin Jones is healthy. Jones has looked good in camp, and is expected to get more carries and third down opportunities this year. They will want to keep Forte fresh, so he won't get nearly the number of carries he did last year.

• He will get less carries because with Cutler, they now have a legitimate passing game.

Reasons for LT

• Norv Turner says he plans to use LT a lot - does that mean 300 carries? Maybe.

• It's a do or die year for LT, and he knows it. He'll be going for it.

• He's on a really good team that is a Superbowl favorite. It makes a difference being on a good team.

• He's LT, arguably the greatest Fantasy Football player ever.

Reasons against LT

• He's 30 years old. RB's typically slow down considerably in year 30, although there are exceptions. Thomas Jones was awesome last year at age 30.

• His numbers have gone down the last 2 years, but they were still good years, just not extraordinary years.

• He's been slowed down as the season progresses by injuries the last two years.

• Darren Sproles will steal carries and goal line work from him.

• The Chargers are more of a passing team now with big time contract signer Philip Rivers at the helm.

If it's a redraft league, I'd go with LT. I love Forte, and he won a championship for me last year when Addai and Parker were injured. However, Forte's YPC needs to improve before I can say he is elite.

Thanks man! I am leaning towards LT...I just have a feeling that at the end of the year he will be the #1 back.

Great insight, here. Yours and STL Fan and many other posters made some great points in this thread. The line that I kept thinking about was, "In a keeper league, Johnson 100 times out of 100 over Jackson." I've taken it to heart and pulled the trigger. I made the trade. I offered Steven Jackson for Chris Johnson late last night and the owner jumped all over it immediately. I was scared he might have read this thread and changed his mind.

I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders. I like Steven Jackson, but I don't like his situation, and not as an early first rounder. Not every first round pick is going to work out, but you want to draft a player that you truly believe in; especially in a keeper league.

Thanks everyone.

....you must have really enjoyed Electrics link.....-I know how good you think he looks in pads :wacko:

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, SJax showed up in Week 2. He ran for 102 yards on 17 attempts, yielding a 6.1 average. He also netted 4 catches for 15 yards. No TDs, but all-in-all a pretty nice day.

In Week 1 against Seattle, Jackson ran for 67 yards on 16 attempts, yielding a 4.2 average, which isn't too bad. He had no catches.

The difference was that the Washington game was close the entire time, and they only lost by 2, with a final score of 9-7. The Seattle game was never close, and they lost 28-0, so they had to go away from the running game. Lots of folks argued that because SJax catches a lot of passes that he would still be involved but that was not the case in the Seattle game since he had no catches.

I admire SJax because he still finds a way to produce an excellent YPC average on a very, very bad team. For that alone, SJax is a stud, and if he were on a team with a good offensive line, then he would be scary good. However, he's not on a good team, so he's a super talented player that's fighting the good fight. His talent is round 1 worthy, but his team is so bad that it weighs him down. That's the reason that I regretted picking him in one league at 1.04 and quickly traded him for Chris Johnson before the season started. Of course, now I look smart since CJ just blew up in Week 2, but the season is long, and I'm afraid it's going to be the longest for SJax owners.

Week Two's game may be the best numbers we can expect to see from SJax, and hopefully he can add TD or two as well. I doubt we're going to see too many games like that. SJax played well against Seattle, but the team had to abandoned the run because they were so far down.

One thing, I will say is that the Rams defense is getting better. It's still going to take some time, but they are already better. However, unless that offensive line gets better, Jackson's 2009 fantasy season outlook looks bleak. Hopefully, you read this thread like I did, and you didn't draft him. If you did. then he will be a good RB2. Or maybe you can still trade first round talent for him from another SJax believer, and hopefully they aren't wanting to trade you Matt Forte or Steve Slaton. And that's the point of my post. Are SJax owners going to ride him and expect RB1 production? I think you may be hoping against hope.

Edited by electricrelish