[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Song of Ice and Fire HBO pilot set to start filming this weekend

giggity

The cast for the pilot of George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series has been completed and filming is starting this weekend. I cannot wait for this series and I think HBO will do an awesome job with it. The cast is spot on and virtually every character matches up with what I envisioned when reading the books.

Some of the cast highlights:

Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister

Sean Bean as Ned Stark

Lena Heady as Cersei Lannister

Mark Addy as Robert Baratheon

Jason Momoa (Stargate TV series) as Khal Drogo

On a cool side note, the castle that was used as "Castle Anthrax" for Monty Python and the Holy Grail will serve as the courtyard of Winterfell

More info if you are interested:

Winter is Coming - Blog about the TV series

Westeros.org - For all things Song of Ice and Fire

George R.R. Martin's website (the author)

Edited by giggity

• 4 months later...

Nice. I am about 150 pages into the first book (A game of thrones). So far it's pretty awesome. A bit like Lord of the Rings. I don't know if I'll get HBO but I'm sure I'll torrent the heck out of the series once it's released. I just hope they start with the first book so I don't have to worry about spoilers. I really don't read (for fun) very often but this book is a page turner.

At least they won't do what TV did to Goodkind's Legend of the Seeker bookline. Seeker is like Zena the Warrior Princes and Hercules. Roaming around fighting cheesy graphic opponents each week. Good guy gets captured about 4 times in the first season and yet they just don't kill him. Bad guy isn't really shown as overly bad, you just have to assume he's really, really bad.

Still looking forward to this series, but really wonder if they can pull off each book in one season each. Especially if the first book season is only 9 episodes long. Hoping for the best though.

So when is Dance of Dragons finally coming out??? I think I will need to reread the series to just catch back up as if you have read the books there are a ton of characters!!

At least they won't do what TV did to Goodkind's Legend of the Seeker bookline. Seeker is like Zena the Warrior Princes and Hercules. Roaming around fighting cheesy graphic opponents each week. Good guy gets captured about 4 times in the first season and yet they just don't kill him. Bad guy isn't really shown as overly bad, you just have to assume he's really, really bad.

Still looking forward to this series, but really wonder if they can pull off each book in one season each. Especially if the first book season is only 9 episodes long. Hoping for the best though.

That is too bad..... Loved the series did not even realize this was out there, might have to set my DVR as it is shown after midnight on weekdays in my area (which is why I probably did not even realize it was on!)

This is my fear. I still remember what was done to Dune (albeit over 20 years ago). This is a complicated story with a great deal of character study. Bringing these books alive on HBO will be an extremely difficult task.

• 2 months later...
Nice. I am about 150 pages into the first book (A game of thrones). So far it's pretty awesome. A bit like Lord of the Rings. I don't know if I'll get HBO but I'm sure I'll torrent the heck out of the series once it's released. I just hope they start with the first book so I don't have to worry about spoilers. I really don't read (for fun) very often but this book is a page turner.

Um, yea. :wacko: So I've read all 4 books by now and I'm a little pissed off that ADWD isn't finished. I know people have had to wait much longer than me, but I'm greedy damn it and the last book was finished several years ago. Amazon in the uk says that it will be released at the end of september this year but Amazon's US website doesn't say anything so it's far from sure.

So my question is, for someone who enjoyed the first 3 books immensely and still considers the 4th good (although I understand how some people don't like it as much. The story follows less likeable, side characters and the people you are most interested in are kind of sidelined as new stories/characters are developed), what do you suggest to read? Are there any other series out there that are pretty solid and worth the time? I've had some fun reading non-work/non-serious stuff with these books and now it feels like I may be in a holding pattern for awhile. Any of you who read this series suggest another book to get into? I think I'm going to have to get my nerd on ( :tup:) with something new as it will probably be awhile before I can read A dance with dragons. Any suggestions are appreciated.

• 1 month later...
HBO aired a "teaser trailer" in front of True Blood's season premiere last night for Game of Thrones. Keep in mind this is only a 20 second trailer but wow, i can't wait!!!!

Looks Epic

+1 I already stole Sean Bean playing Eddard Stark as my avatar. Hope they do this book justice.

• 8 months later...

Series is supposed to be out in less than two months. :wacko: I think I'm going to go reread A Game of Thrones though (I have a .pdf in my work computer that I'd read over lunch). Besides I've kind of taken a pause on the Wheel of Time series (that seems to go forever) so it might be a good time to brush up on the finer nuances of Westeros.

• 2 weeks later...

According to GRRMartin's live journal website, A Dance With Dragons will be done July 12th. He says this is a real date

Barring tsunamis, general strikes, world wars, or asteroid strikes, you will have the novel in your hands on July 12.

:wacko:

about fraken time

:wacko: IT'S ABOUT FREAKIN' TIME!!!!

And :tup:

Agreed and :lol:. I just read his books a year or so ago and it pissed me off, so I'm sure its worse for people who actually read them when they came out. I was afraid that old turd was going to pass away before he got a chance to finish the book. Hopefully he got his timeline straightened out so he can finish the last couple as well.