[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

like groundhog day every time I see this headline

Azazello1313

it depends... do I get to decide how to use the money or am I going to have incorporate a ton of useless tax-cuts into the mix to appease the GOP?

I trust you to spend it on alternative energy solutions and shovel-ready construction. And then when that fails (again) you can ask for another Trillion. This is fun!

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Per Bloomberg:

The trade deficit unexpectedly worsened in May and sharply. Higher oil prices that month played a key role in the increased red ink. The May trade gap ballooned to $50.2 billion from a revised $43.6 billion in April (originally $46.7 billion). The May deficit was much larger than analysts' estimate for $42.7 billion. Exports slipped 0.5 percent after improving 1.4 percent in April. Imports jumped 2.6 percent after edging down 0.3 percent the month before.

The widening in the trade deficit was led by the petroleum gap which expanded to $30.4 billion from $26.1 billion in April. For May, the price of imported oil jumped $5.52 per barrel to $108.70-the highest level since August 2008. Also, the physical quantity of oil imports jumped 9.1 percent to 275.3 million barrels for the month after plunging 14.5 percent in April. The prior month's imports were atypically soft. The nonpetroleum goods shortfall worsened to $33.3 billion from $31.1 billion the prior month. The services surplus advanced to $14.7 billion from $14.5 billion in April.

Looking at end use categories for goods, exports fell 1.1 percent while imports jumped 2.9 percent in the latest month. The dip in exports was led by a $1.8 billion decrease in industrial supplies, with a decline also seen in consumer goods (down $0.4 billion). Foods, feeds & beverages were down fractionally. On the plus side were capital goods excluding autos (up $0.4 billion) and automotive (up $0.6 billion).

The surge in imports by end use categories was led by a $4.3 billion jump in industrial supplies (mostly crude oil) with gains also seen in capital goods excluding autos (up $1.2 billion), and automotive (up $0.6 billion). The foods, feeds & beverages component was up marginally.

On a not seasonally adjusted basis, the May figures show surpluses, in billions of dollars, with Hong Kong $2.1 ($2.6 for April), and Australia $1.2 ($1.1). Deficits were recorded, in billions of dollars, with China $25.0 ($21.6), OPEC $11.3 ($9.6), European Union $8.8 ($7.5), Mexico $6.3 ($5.5), Germany $3.8 ($3.8), Venezuela $3.1 ($2.8), Canada $2.7 ($2.4), and Japan $2.6 ($3.6).

The trade deficit is draining funds from the U.S. economy faster than earlier believed. This will lead most economists to lower their forecast for second quarter GDP. However, oil prices have come down significantly since May and we likely will see improvement in at least the petroleum gap next month. Looking for the silver lining, the boost in capital equipment imports may be a subtraction in GDP accounting, but it suggests some optimism on the part of businesses. The dip in consumer goods imports is disappointing but not so much after a $2.1 billion jump in April. The decline in goods exports also is disappointing but follows a jump in April and combined with a still low (though not as low as some weeks ago) dollar, exports likely are still on an uptrend.

Are you serious? If not for Obama unemployment could be higher.

in all fairness, it probably is....they even managed to come with a statistic for how many jobs were "saved".....

really?, so they had all the businesses out there list all the people they almost fired, but didn't? :wacko:

• 11 months later...

WOOOOOOOMUTHERFAKINGHOOOOOOO!!!!!

(AP) WASHINGTON - U.S. employers added only 80,000 jobs in June, a third straight month of weak hiring that shows the economy is struggling.

The Labor Department says the unemployment rate was unchanged at 8.2 percent.

The economy has added just 75,000 jobs a month in the April-June quarter. That's one-third of 226,000 a month created in the first quarter. Job creation is also trailing last year's pace through the first six months of 2012.

A weaker job market has made consumers less confident. They have pulled back on spending, even though gas prices have plunged.

High unemployment could shift momentum to Mitt Romney, the presumptive GOP presidential nominee. An Associated Press-GfK poll released last month found that more than half of those surveyed disapproved of President Barack Obama's handling of the economy.

WOOOOOOOMUTHERFAKINGHOOOOOOO!!!!!

(AP) WASHINGTON - U.S. employers added only 80,000 jobs in June, a third straight month of weak hiring that shows the economy is struggling.

The Labor Department says the unemployment rate was unchanged at 8.2 percent.

The economy has added just 75,000 jobs a month in the April-June quarter. That's one-third of 226,000 a month created in the first quarter. Job creation is also trailing last year's pace through the first six months of 2012.

A weaker job market has made consumers less confident. They have pulled back on spending, even though gas prices have plunged.

High unemployment could shift momentum to Mitt Romney, the presumptive GOP presidential nominee. An Associated Press-GfK poll released last month found that more than half of those surveyed disapproved of President Barack Obama's handling of the economy.

If Romney keeps his focus on the economy then he's got this. He nor anyone else in the GOP should mention health care again till after the election. Oh wait....the house plans on voting again to repeal the ACA so it will remain in the news a little longer. What's thay saying again about snatching defeat.....? Forget health care GOP.

I've been wondering this lately. Does it count as an added job if a person switches jobs?

For instance in my case. I put in my two weeks notice with my current employer because I got hired on by someone else. Does that count as 1 added job? My guess is yes and it's obviously a misleading stat since 1 job was not really added.

If Romney keeps his focus on the economy then he's got this. He nor anyone else in the GOP should mention health care again till after the election. Oh wait....the house plans on voting again to repeal the ACA so it will remain in the news a little longer. What's thay saying again about snatching defeat.....? Forget health care GOP.

It'll be interesting for sure. The guy to possibly defeat Obamacare is one of the few politicians who instituted a similar version of the law in his state prior to running for President.

in all fairness, it probably is....they even managed to come with a statistic for how many jobs were "saved".....

really?, so they had all the businesses out there list all the people they almost fired, but didn't? :wacko:

No, but the feds did step in and gave a bunch of funds to the states and without those funds a lot more teachers, police, firefighters, etc would have been let go. So yes, jobs were saved.

I've been wondering this lately. Does it count as an added job if a person switches jobs?

For instance in my case. I put in my two weeks notice with my current employer because I got hired on by someone else. Does that count as 1 added job? My guess is yes and it's obviously a misleading stat since 1 job was not really added.

All these job stats are very confusing. In your case, is it a new position or are you replacing another that left. Are you being replaced. It all should come into play in determining net jobs gained/lost.

I can't wait for mitts plan for miraculously creating all these jobs

Please post when he actually comes up with one.

He's going to teach business owners how to hide all their wealth in offshore accounts to avoid paying taxes. With their savings I'm sure they'll spread the wealth and start hiring again.

The limping job numbers definitely give Romney a shot, but he's a long way from a slam dunk even if he's smart enough to drop the repeal and focus on the economy. As Square said, it will be interesting to see what happens after he went on an aggressive counter attack on ObamaRomenycare after the supreme court ruling. Romney is stuck in a plethora of conundrums and for the first time in my adult life the Dems have effectively outmaneuvered the Republicans in a game of federal policy hijinks during an election year (even with the less than "expected" job numbers).

So no plan at all besides pithy talking points? :lol:

His track record at Bain is the opposite of job growth. I am sure he has an awesome plan that will be revealed someday that actually creates jobs.

I think the most surprising thing of the last 20 years is the tenacity with which the Republicans have hung on to their supply side trickle down job creation drivel, surely the most discredited theory ever to appear in economics. At the same time, they want to keep driving down as many lower end income people as possible, probably because they are mostly Dem voters, even though those people will spend every cent they have.

It doesn't make any sense unless you believe they are simply interested in maximizing the wealth of their own plutocratic oligarchical puppet masters and to hell with everyone else.

I think the most surprising thing of the last 20 years is the tenacity with which the Republicans have hung on to their supply side trickle down job creation drivel, surely the most discredited theory ever to appear in economics. At the same time, they want to keep driving down as many lower end income people as possible, probably because they are mostly Dem voters, even though those people will spend every cent they have.

It doesn't make any sense unless you believe they are simply interested in maximizing the wealth of their own plutocratic oligarchical puppet masters and to hell with everyone else.

Agreed. The last complaint was all the "uncertainty" about health care. Now that is settled, businesses will start hiring , right? :rolleyes: especially since they will all now drop health care coverage for employees and have all this extra cash lying around!

Recession ovah! (until the next reason that the puppet masters need to hoard cash)

I think the most surprising thing of the last 20 years is the tenacity with which the Republicans have hung on to their supply side trickle down job creation drivel, surely the most discredited theory ever to appear in economics. At the same time, they want to keep driving down as many lower end income people as possible, probably because they are mostly Dem voters, even though those people will spend every cent they have people have given them.

So no plan at all besides pithy talking points? :lol:

His track record at Bain is the opposite of job growth. I am sure he has an awesome plan that will be revealed someday that actually creates jobs.

I am no fan of Romney.

You asked for his plan and I sent you a link.

Show me a politician that does not speak in pure talking points and you may have a very rare find.

I am no fan of Romney.

You asked for his plan and I sent you a link.

Show me a politician that does not speak in pure talking points and you may have a very rare find.

Hitler, Hugo Chavez, Fidel Castro, Augusto Pinochet, Slobadan Milosovic, Stalin, Mussolini, Chairman Mao, Pol Pot, Tojo, Francisco Franco, Tito, Suharto, Chiang kai Shek, Strom Thurmond, William Henry Harrison...