[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Volunteering on the coast.

tbimm

As everybody is surely aware we have a major problem down here in SE Louisiana. This will also be directly effecting South Mississippi.

The residual effects from this will be felt nation wide and I am not sure everyone understands the scope of this.

In the coming days I will be adding links to this initial post to sites that can guide you to volunteer opportunities. I have to go to Fl in 3 weeks and when I get back I will be spending my 3 day weekends volunteering in the clean-up. Anyone looking for a working vacation this summer may think about joining in that clean-up. BP is overwhelmed with the coastal end of things and needs our help with that while they figure out how to shut the damn thing off.

As Rajn and I were talking about this morning this could be far worse for the coast than Katrina was.

I will be providing links starting tonight once I get a list together.

Here is a good site for further volunteer info.

They are looking for Dawn dishwashing soap and towels.

Here is another link thanks in part to Rajn.

Local news link.

Edited by tbimm

I might be heading down for a paying gig shortly. It's gonna really suck in those swamps.

If you have never been in the Louisiana swamps I think you may be underestimating the suckage.

Absolutely sickening. I don't know which bothers me more... the thought of what it's doing (and will continue to do for months) to the wildlife in that area, or the fact that most of the people posting comments on that Facebook relief page want to argue about whether or not the posted photos are current or not. Does it really matter? I get the point that people only want to see current photos, so they know that the information they're getting is accurate, but there's a 100 mile wide oil "spill" working it's way towards the coast, and it's continuing to grow in size. Arguing about whether or not there are any dead fish/birds... Are you kidding me? Wildlife has most certainly been affected, and will continue to be. They still have not yet been able to turn this thing off. Unbelievable. :wacko:

Absolutely sickening. I don't know which bothers me more... the thought of what it's doing (and will continue to do for months) to the wildlife in that area, or the fact that most of the people posting comments on that Facebook relief page want to argue about whether or not the posted photos are current or not. Does it really matter? I get the point that people only want to see current photos, so they know that the information they're getting is accurate, but there's a 100 mile wide oil "spill" working it's way towards the coast, and it's continuing to grow in size. Arguing about whether or not there are any dead fish/birds... Are you kidding me? Wildlife has most certainly been affected, and will continue to be. They still have not yet been able to turn this thing off. Unbelievable. :wacko:

Don't get caught up in the comments. I only posted the link for volunteer and donation info. The innerweb is full of idiots.

Don't get caught up in the comments. I only posted the link for volunteer and donation info. The innerweb is full of idiots.

Yeah, I know. Same reason I try to stay out of political threads here. :wacko:

Yeah, I know. Same reason I try to stay out of political threads here. :wacko:

NOLA.com taught me to ignore the comments section. Talk about a bunch of ass holes. Trolling for reaction has become some peoples whole lives.

NOLA.com taught me to ignore the comments section. Talk about a bunch of ass holes. Trolling for reaction has become some peoples whole lives.

Reminds me of some Huddlers here in the tailgate.

Best of luck to everybody involved and mad props to the volunteers. Its a tremendous undertaking and will have a greater impact than Hurricane Katrina to the area.

If you have never been in the Louisiana swamps I think you may be underestimating the suckage.

I spent several summers in swamps along the Miss. River. I'm expecting this to be worse.

I spent several summers in swamps along the Miss. River. I'm expecting this to be worse.

Get in touch while your here and I can show you around something other than swamps.

:wacko: Hey Tom, I'll kick it off BUT i'm too cheap ta pay shipping on Dishwashing liquid but i would PayPal 20 tacos ta hook them up down there if you could swing it ......howbout collectin huddle tacos and passin it on my brotha :tup:

:wacko: Hey Tom, I'll kick it off BUT i'm too cheap ta pay shipping on Dishwashing liquid but i would PayPal 20 tacos ta hook them up down there if you could swing it ......howbout collectin huddle tacos and passin it on my brotha :tup:

I could do something like that. Let me see if there is somewhere local that will take drop offs. If not I will take a ride down next weekend and deliver whatever i can get ahold of between now and then. I think that the Audubon Institute is taking the product donations right here in the city. I have several customers at the shop who work for them full time and will get in touch with them tomorrow.

I went with my family today to what I thought was going to be a clean-up seminar, but it turned out to be a safety & info meeting. I was impressed that they had a BP rep there who fielded some pretty tough questions from the crowd, myself included. What surprised me most was his saying that BP would be paying for every bit of cleanup and they would also reimburse anyone who was financially affected by this. They also said that they would be paying volunteers to help with the cleanup efforts. All this was said in front of an NBC news crew as well. Of course it's the right thing to do, but very surprising to hear it.

Unfortunately the biggest message they had was that once the oil comes ashore to keep away from it, which is understandable. They don't want every Joe Blow going down there and end up getting sick or hurt & then have to face law suits for that as well. First they want people to attend their safety training & then those who wish to get the hazmat & animal training will be set up for a course some time later. Right now they are negotiating with OSHA to modify the current 40 hour course into a 4 hour course for coastal cleanup. Govt restrictions otherwise would not allow them to use us.

Here are some of the numbers they handed out which are for the entire region as well as the web site our local coast residents have started for volunteers. In just two days they have already had almost 5000 volunteers sign up.

Community Information Hotline 1-866-448-5816

Wildlife Hotline 1-866-557-1401

Press Information 1-985-902-5231

Claims 1-800-440-0558

www.oilspillvolunteers.com