[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A little beer shopping tonight

Puddy

The haul:

Sam Adams Light for when I'm having a couple on my own

Founders Breakfast Stout

Ommegang Abbey Ale

Some IPA's:

Short's Huma Lupa Licious

Dogfish Head 60 Minute

Dark Horse Crooked Tree

I haven't had the Crooked Tree, the Breakfast Stout or the Ommegang yet. I'll report back at some point on those.

I really like the Huma Lupa Licious and the 60 Minute.

The haul:

Founders Breakfast Stout

Ommegang Abbey Ale

Some IPA's:

Dogfish Head 60 Minute

Dark Horse Crooked Tree

I haven't had the Crooked Tree, the Breakfast Stout or the Ommegang yet. I'll report back at some point on those.

I really like the Huma Lupa Licious and the 60 Minute.

I picked up some Ommegang Abbey, found it disappointing. I expected more. Usually when I go trappist/abbey ale I will just nut up and purchase some Chimay so I'm a bit spoiled.

I had some of DH's 90 Minute IPA last night, damn, that's good stuff. I've had the 60 and that's really f'in good too. I don't think you can go wrong with Dogfish Head.

If you are a fan of IPA's I can easily recommend the Crooked Tree. True to the style with a hint of spice to it. Really tasty.

I'm 3 oz. into the Ommegang Abbey. It really reminds of the Westmalle Dubbel I had in Amsterdam a couple of years ago. And that's a good thing.

tonight i brought home a little:

duchusse du bourgogne

hoegaarden

new belgian tripple

grimbergen double ale

franziskaner dunkel-weisse

delerium tremens

one one i hadn't tried was the grimbergen... very good duppel

Tasted through the Great Divide and Victory line-ups the other day to put together some menus. Not everything made the cut because I only do 5 beers for each dinner.

Favorites over all were the Titan, Hoss, Yeti, Hop Wallop, Whirlwind, and Yakima. Others I tried that night included the Oak-aged Espresso Yeti (too gnarly right now, but would likely be better with a bit of time), Hop Devil (nice enough but sort of stuck inbetween the Wallop and Yakima and not as good as either) and whatever Farmhouse deal Victory came out with this season, I forget the name but it just didn't fit in with the rest for a dinner. Cool thing about the Victory dinner is that we're going to offer an optional side by side tasting of a year old v-12 vs a current release.

Here's what I came up with:

Great Divide

Bunelo de Camarones con rabanos , puerros, y salsa habenero (Dried shrimp fritters with roasted radishes and leeks and habenero salsa)

-Titan IPA

Sopa de Chipilin con Bolitas (Masa soup with Mexican greens and cheese dumplings)

-Colette Farmhouse Ale

Gallena con flan de calabaza (Orange, ancho chili, and cola marinated hen with savory zucchini and oregano flan)

-Hoss Rye Lager

Almendrado con Lomo a las Bugambilias (Pork loin in almond sauce a la Restaurante Bugambilia)

-Hercules Double IPA

Vientre de Puerco con chocolate (Mexican chocolate and chipotle-braised pork belly)

-Yeti Imperial Stout

Victory

Salpicon de Jaiba (spicy crab tostadas)

-Hop Wallop IPA

Cordenices a la rosa (Quail with rose petal sauce)

-Prima Pilsner

Lengua en escebeche (Poached Cane Creek cow’s tongue with pickled vegetables)

-Whirlwind Witbier

Torta de masa a la tapatia (pork and masa casserole)

-Golden Monkey Ale

Enchiladas Ocotzingo (shredded beef enchiladas in simple mole)

-Yakima Twilight Ale

The haul:

Founders Breakfast Stout

Ommegang Abbey Ale

Some IPA's:

Dogfish Head 60 Minute

Dark Horse Crooked Tree

Had a couple of the 60 minute tonight. It's been a while and I can still say this is a mighty good IPA. Right up there with Bell's Two Hearted. I really enjoyed the Short's and the Dark Horse as well. All three of these are great examples of the style and if you get Short's and Dark Horse in your area I recommend giving them a try.

On Monday, we tried the Allagash Confluence and Ommegang Tripel Perfection. Both stunning brews. The Confluence is a wild Ale, meaning it is innoculated with bretanomyces bacteria (which is a dangerous thing for a brewery because if that stuff will ruin beers not designed to use it). It inspires a sour nature in the beer and is known for it's use in Flemmish-style beers. This had really bright and apparent fruit on the nose and enough body so as not to allow the sour nature to overwhelm it. Really among the more impressive beers I've had.

The Tripel was just a big slut (and I mean that in a good way). Tons of banana and walnut on the nose and rich caramelly malt on the palette. Hemmed in just enough so it wasn't too sweet or unbalanced. Certainly not a session beer and if you tried, you'd catch a buzz pretty quick as it weighs in around 9%.

Last night's Great Divide dinner really went well. I think the best pairing was the masa soup and Saison Ale, even if neither was my favorite dish or beer singularly.

I'm getting a 4 pack of the Founder's Kentucky Breakfast Stout on Saturday. $20 is going to rank this as my second most expensive beer. Dogfish 120 was more

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1199/19960

However, it is worth every penny. The DFH 120 Minute is good but not worth the money IMO.

I'm getting a 4 pack of the Founder's Kentucky Breakfast Stout on Saturday. $20 is going to rank this as my second most expensive beer. Dogfish 120 was more

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1199/19960

KBS blew through here about a month ago. About the same time the NCB Rasputin Oak Aged ($15 each for 500ml wholesale). I had to scratch and claw to get my case. Which brings up a rather annoying point. Why is it that all these guys release their coveted bad-ass stouts, right in time for spring? Of course, I have an answer to my somewhat rhetorical question: Because they're nowhere near ready to drink upon release and likely wont be so until next winter anyway. Seriously, brace yourself. I fired one of those effers up a few weeks ago and it was boozy as hell. The whiskey elements completely dominated the beer and I hope that mellows out into a more seductive and satisfying brew with a little time in the bottle.

My buddy that ran the beer tastings is holding 6 bottles of KBS for me. I plan on trying one (or two) now and storing the rest away for a year.

I have had the 120 now for two years or so...

Edited by loaf

My buddy that ran the beer tastings is holding 6 bottles of KBS for me. I plan on trying one (or two) now and storing the rest away for a year.

I have had the 120 now for two years or so...

Well done

Alternating tonight between the Dogfish 60 and the Dogfish 90. Both are quite enjoyable, but neither are going to supplant Founder's Centennial IPA as my favorite beer.

I was 'thiiis' close to picking up the Centennial tonight but didn't. I didn't realize you were a hophead.

I did end up picking up 4 different 12 packs.

Goose Island Summertime - Very easy drinking beer that I am enjoying right now. Not very complex but a nice beer.

Sam Adams Light - My new light beer whenever I feel like cutting back on the calories.

Sierra Nevada Summerfest - I don't remember if I tried the 2009 but I'm looking forward to the 2010 as I normally enjoy their offerings.

Southern Tier Pale Variety pack - 4 different types of pale ales (IPA, Wheat Pale, Regular Pale, and Extraordinary Pale).