[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cliff Lee a PHILLY again!

keggerz

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, it's my Negadelphia outlook :wacko:

again, you're bringing up stats which only tell half the story...there's been a significant change in players like Howard, Utley, Rollins and Victorino the past 2 years

well last year they all have one thing in common...they all were injured...yet the TEAM still won 99 games, sure sign Lee to that Team (less Werth) and then start to blow it up :tup:

Edit: and I think it was right before he got injured but Howard was right at or around .300...and yes he strikes out a lot but that isn't anything new.

Edited by keggerz

well last year they all have one thing in common...they all were injured...yet the TEAM still won 99 games, sure sign Lee to that Team (less Werth) and then start to blow it up :wacko:

Edit: and I think it was right before he got injured but Howard was right at or around .300...and yes he strikes out a lot but that isn't anything new.

who said anything about blowing it up?....you still have Polanco, Rollins, Utley, Ruiz and the pitching staff...

I am just saying to move 2 pieces and Rollins is in a contract year so I expect him to try and be in the best shape of his career for the big payday...and I wouldn't expect to get a couple of bums in return, but rather strengthen the outfield with those moves and bring up the kid for 1st base.....

as for Howard....of course he strikes out, but he's hit less homers while getting more doubles and such.....but he is such a sucker out when the other team needs it.....it's frustrating to watch...

We have 4 #1 pitchers on our team.

C'mon man. For any that thinks Oswalt is still a #1 ace,sorry. a solid #3, yes. and Congrats on the Lee signing, as I didn't want him in NY.

So I am assuming anything but a WS title in Philly would be considered fair game for bust or chokes for the next 3 years or so.

Hell why even play the season just let the sox and phillies play a best of 80 series.

Edited by SLAYER

C'mon man. For any that thinks Oswalt is still a #1 ace,sorry. a solid #3, yes. and Congrats on the Lee signing, as I didn't want him in NY.

So I am assuming anything but a WS title in Philly would be considered fair game for bust or chokes for the next 3 years or so.

Hell why even play the season just let the sox and phillies play a best of 80 series.

Oswalt is a great #2...not a solid #3....the rest are straight up #1's...

trade Howard and bring up the young kid who is a 1st baseman and apparently good and trade Victorino who might be the best CF in the game, but his offense has been killing me....

Singleton is 19 years old. He still has a good 3-4 years before he is MLB ready from what I have read. And you can't expect every player in your line-up to produce monster numbers. Victorino is a very good defensive player and will contribute a little on the offensive side, especially with his speed. I would rather see them move Ibanez and give Brown a shot full time. Maybe sign a right handed right fielder. I also hope they can get at least something for Blanton.

I am also not buying that fans of these other teams didn' want Lee...concerns about the contract he would have signed is understandable but not wanting him :wacko:

yea that too, but really didn't want him. I'm not coocoo over Lee, he's good but not top 10 IMO.

More likely he was afraid of bombing in the Big City(as so many have done).

Which is why you will never see Grienke in Pinstripes.

Really - I think his wife might have had a say.

Lee and his family liked Philadelphia. Plus, his wife had complained that New York fans were rude and spat at the Rangers' wives during the American League championship series this fall when Lee was pitching for Texas, his other big suitor this offseason.

From the strib...

Really - I think his wife might have had a say.

Lee and his family liked Philadelphia. Plus, his wife had complained that New York fans were rude and spat at the Rangers' wives during the American League championship series this fall when Lee was pitching for Texas, his other big suitor this offseason.

From the strib...

I heard they poured beer on Lee's wife.....

In two more weeks, Philadelphia will become the 1st city IN HISTORY to have every baseball and every football game completely sold out in the same calendar year. This from a blue collar town that is feeling the effects of today's economy as much as anywhere. THink about that...every single baseball game and football game sold out.

The Flyers attact top free agents...the Eagles do the same...Halladay and Lee took discounts to play here. Outsiders consider the fans boorish, but the actions of the players that want to be here speaks volumes. They know playing in front of us is as good as it gets in terms of feeling our passion.

Man you are funny. :wacko:

But hey...If Cliff Lee didnt wanna play for my team I would say I didnt want him either.

well, I guess in some sense it's nice to see some NL teams (besides the incompetent mets) trying to get in on buying championships like the yankees and red sox.

helluva rotation, but you know what, I still think the giants rotation might be better. lotta mileage on those phils arms.

halladay 33

lee 32

oswalt 33

hamels 27

lincecum 26

cain 26

sanchez 28

bumgarner 21

well, I guess in some sense it's nice to see some NL teams (besides the incompetent mets) trying to get in on buying championships like the yankees and red sox.

:wacko:

You do know we let Werth walk, right? At the one spot the team is weak (righthanded bat)?

Buying a championship, huh? The Phils fans pay through the nose for tickets, and sell out the stadium for every game. In return, the team re-invests that money to put a good squad on the field (instead of lining their pockets). So in an age when everyone complains that sports is about greed, here is an ownership that is spending, and players that are willing to take less to play here...and they get labled as "buying a championship".

Go figure.

I dont buy into the buying a Championship. Players want the right to move around and take the best deal they can get. So teams offer what it will take to get players. Are the Phils the favorites to win the WS, who knows. They were pretty good the last 3 years without this much excess in quality starting pitching. But the Rays were suppose to be the arms in the AL, and they didnt make it past the Rangers in the opening round. If Philly doesnt hit, it doesnt matter how good all that starting pitching is. Look at Texas in the WS. They didnt hit and the Giants got timely hits, and they won the whole thing. Texas had 3 very capable pitchers in the series to shut it down and most of the experts thought they would win in 6, and they didnt, because they couldnt hit. If Im the Phils, i unload Oswalt for a big bat, as he wont be used in the post season most likely, and Blanton isnt a bad 4th option if needed. I also think better money would be for Philly to sign Adrian beltre. the dude looks back in a big way, now that he is out of Seattle and that pitchers park.

As for my Rangers, I hope we sign Beltre, shift Young to 1st base, and resign Vlad at a reasonable rate, even give him 2 yrs, something like 2 yrs 10 mil total. Shift Neftali Feliz to the rotatation like CJ did last yr, Feliz was always a starter in the minors. Then I spend money on the Tampa Closer to shut it down. Will this be better than having Cliff Lee. probably not. But the lineup adds another bat, and IMO a better closer, with Soriano, and if Neftali is anything close to CJ, we wont be far behind where we were last yr. Texas had the West before they got Lee, and this team is built for the future. It would be nice having Lee in the front of our rotation no doubt, but AS great at Cliff Lee was the past few years, he simply wasnt that great at home here in Texas. And they do play half their games at home. Use the farm system if another opportunity like Lee presents itself. No way part ways with Scheppers and Perez for Greinke or Garza, that is just too much. Perez alone maybe better than Garza in a year.

Long story short, Philly got a helluva pitcher, they are a bigger market with more revenue and they can afford him. Texas was way out of its comfort zone with the offer it had for Lee, and it could have cost us big if he got injured. To say Im glad he didnt sign here, isnt accurate. but I am relieved we didnt commit those kinds of dollars to a 32 pitcher who didnt pitch great here in Texas at home. And one who has had back problems in the past. Am I saying he is a bad value for Philly. Hell No. but I just think he isnt a great value for us. So as much as I hate seeing him go, a move to the NL took alot of sting out of the blow for sure.

Edited by Brent

Man you are funny. :wacko:

But hey...If Cliff Lee didnt wanna play for my team I would say I didnt want him either.

Fluckface go back and look I said all along They needed Crawford and not Lee, but hey glad you got him.