[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I always fear asking this sort of thing...

detlef

Just my two cents, but the solution seems fairly simple to me. You include Vegetarian somewhere in the description, such as been mentioned above, "Vegetarian Soy "Chicken", or something like that. I don't see how anyone would be confused or turned off by that, and it might even make vegetarians feel like you're catering towards them, rather than them having to hunt to find an acceptable dish.

Those other descriptions seem far too ambiguous to where it could be easily misunderstood, or potentially even turn someone off (just think about how unappetizing the word "meat-substitute" is). But having "chicken" in quotations without adding the word vegetarian almost makes it sound like it's primarily a meat dish, just not quite "chicken".

Haha, and especially considering the stereotype of the "exotic" meat that some Asians have been known to eat, I might definitely shy away from using ambiguous quotes to describe your "chicken" options. :wacko:

You know, this is a thought. When we started out, we had a larger menu and it was broken down into smaller categories (meat, poultry, seafood, vegetarian). When we shortened it, I got rid of the categories because I thought it looked sort of lame since some categories had like one or two things in it. I suppose I could just add "Vegetarian Entrees" category even though every other entree is lumped together.

I think you should put the categories back in. On some days, because of the cholesterol meds I'm on, I'll want a nice veggie meal since meat sometimes upsets my stomach and don't want to have to jump through hoops with a waiter that may or may not know what he is talking about. I don't have time to vet a waiter on whether he knows what he's talking about or not and I end up trusting the menu. I think adding a Vegetarian Entree section is a great idea.

Edited by TimC

Just my two cents, but the solution seems fairly simple to me. You include Vegetarian somewhere in the description, such as been mentioned above, "Vegetarian Soy "Chicken", or something like that. I don't see how anyone would be confused or turned off by that, and it might even make vegetarians feel like you're catering towards them, rather than them having to hunt to find an acceptable dish.

Those other descriptions seem far too ambiguous to where it could be easily misunderstood, or potentially even turn someone off (just think about how unappetizing the word "meat-substitute" is). But having "chicken" in quotations without adding the word vegetarian almost makes it sound like it's primarily a meat dish, just not quite "chicken".

Haha, and especially considering the stereotype of the "exotic" meat that some Asians have been known to eat, I might definitely shy away from using ambiguous quotes to describe your "chicken" options. :wacko:

I'm on board with this. Vegitarian soy "chicken". The veggies will know exactly what the dish is. You don't have to say fake chicken. You don't need to seperate it from the other entrees. I would suggest that any and all veggie dishes use "Vegitarian" as the first word. The veggies will consider it, the meat eaters immediately know to skip it.

Keep it simple and concise, no ambiguity. Don't over think this. DoG has it right IMO. In this case does not need a cutesy name for marketing. Just say what the heck it is, up front.

The name of your establishment, Jujube is not descriptive. That's fine, but what is the trailer? Something like "An asian fusion cafe" or some such? Somehwere, you tell the customer what it is, and they know or at least have a good idea what the cuisine is, right?

I think that same idea should be carried over to the names of the entrees. KISS. Communicate as simply as possible with no ambiguity right from the start. This is especially true with any kind of marketing.

[Posted by Rovers Jan. 28, 2011 at 12:13pm] Your Huddle member name, Rovers, is not descriptive. That's fine, but what is the trailer? Something like "Drunk Semi-Crippled Jets Homer" or some such? Somewhere, you tell the readers what you are, and they know or at least have a good idea what the scoop is, right?

I think that same idea should be carried over to the names of the entrees. KISS ME. Communicate as simply as possible with no ambiguity right from the start. This is especially true with any kind of marketing.

+1

Edited by FWmaker

I say you just ditch the item from the menu and add a disclaimer to the front "We serve no vegetarian items." :wacko:

Seriously though, is this a popular menu item? I guess you are in the crunchy part of NC but shouldn't your main concern be pissing off a meat eater since they are much more common?

As a meat eater myself, if I see something with "chicken" in the title I think it means it has chicken in it. Even if the waiter tells me this is a vegitarian item I would still think it has chicken since some vegs eat chicken or fish or eggs or really just that I don't have a clue what a vegetarian thinks is ok or not. Plus going this route you insult the vegetarians as well.

To me the simplest thing, if you can't just ditch this item for meatballs or something, would be to have a vegetarian section on the menu. Then I wouldn't accidentally order it and force you into the position of asking me what else you could bring me.

Calling something chicken when it isn't chicken is wrong. Putting it in quotes is . . . undesirable (IMO.)

I'd just call it what it is. Something like - textured soy protein or soy protein or vegetable protein (contains soy). If you're a veggie, you know what that sh*t is. And if you want chicken, you ain't going to order it anyway.

The name of your establishment, Jujube is not descriptive. That's fine, but what is the trailer? Something like "An asian fusion cafe" or some such? Somehwere, you tell the customer what it is, and they know or at least have a good idea what the cuisine is, right?

I think that same idea should be carried over to the names of the entrees. KISS. Communicate as simply as possible with no ambiguity right from the start. This is especially true with any kind of marketing.

We actually have two subtitles used at different times one is "Almost Asian", the other is "Food of Harmony" which is what Jujube means in Chinese. It's a Chinese date eaten medicinally to sooth your stomach and calm your nerves.

I think, ultimately, I'm just going with "Vegetarian Soy 'Chicken'". The major problem with the vegetarian section is there are a bunch of vegetarian dishes in the dumpling and appetizer section as well, so I'd need to break these out as well. Further, on the lunch menu, it's an option as filling for the Vietnamese Sammys as well as a topping for the noodle salad. The menu would just end up being a cluster-cufk if I broke all these dishes out. It would be one thing if it was just the entrees, but it's not. And here's another reason that may be a bit strange but I can't get it out of my mind. Not only do we have a lot of vegetarians in my market, but they're a damned proud batch of people. I can honestly imagine actually taking grief for putting these all in their own section because some d-bag will think that they're being singled out.

"You don't have a seafood section, why do you have a vegetarian section?" Lame? Yes, but I can already hear the whining.

As for any confusion about "Vegetarian Soy 'Chicken'" do to the fact that some people consider it a vegetarian diet even if you eat chicken, I think I'll take that chance. Mostly because that just seems like too bizarre a connection. I mean, why would you say Vegetarian Soy "Chicken" if you simply meant "Chicken". On that subject, Why the hell does anyone consider a diet that includes chicken "vegetarian"? They're animals. Same with fish. I've never understood that. None the less, whenever anyone calls about our vegetarian options, I always have to ask them to define what they're version of vegetarian includes.

Edited by detlef