[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Convince me to buy a big green egg

chester

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I own a large BGE. It is plenty for what I need and the only time I have wished for larger is when I cook ribs since I can only cram five racks into mine and my ribs are typically the most called for when we have family get-togethers or parties. But that is also using a rib rack that stands them up on their side. Otherwise maybe only two racks of ribs.

It has no problem with pork butts for pulled pork and I always cook two 8 lb shoulders at a time. Or one big beef brisket. Unless you often cook for more than ten or twelve people, I would think the large BGE would be plenty.

I own a large BGE. It is plenty for what I need and the only time I have wished for larger is when I cook ribs since I can only cram five racks into mine and my ribs are typically the most called for when we have family get-togethers or parties. But that is also using a rib rack that stands them up on their side. Otherwise maybe only two racks of ribs.

It has no problem with pork butts for pulled pork and I always cook two 8 lb shoulders at a time. Or one big beef brisket. Unless you often cook for more than ten or twelve people, I would think the large BGE would be plenty.

Like I said, large BGE here, and I do the same thing with pork shoulders -- I've cooked 20 pounds of it, easily fed about 15 adults and we had leftovers for a few days afterward. I've had mine for two years and we have large dinner parties all the time where I've used the Egg, and I've never thought I needed an XL.

How would a BGE be for doing simpler fare like burgers and dogs o chicken breasts?

Gotta admit I do like that I can fire up the weber gas grill and throw something simple on it in 10-15 minutes if need. I'm guessing the BGE is not suitable for those situations?

How would a BGE be for doing simpler fare like burgers and dogs o chicken breasts?

Gotta admit I do like that I can fire up the weber gas grill and throw something simple on it in 10-15 minutes if need. I'm guessing the BGE is not suitable for those situations?

I do burgers and chicken breasts in the Egg all the time. Yes, it does take a bit longer to get the coals hot and at the desired temperature. I used to have a Weber charcoal grill, and the improvement in taste when I switched to the Egg was well worth the extra time.

I use my BGE for burgers all the time. I use lump charcoal (mainly oak I think) and I'll get it up to 400 or 500 degrees before I throw on some slightly wetted wood chips like mesquite, apple or cherry. Add on the burgers and they come out with the grill marks and slight crispness to the outside with the smoky flavor and the inside remains moist and juicy because you cook it faster on the hot grill.

I have a gas grill too and I will use it for a burger only if I am in a really big hurry but the results are never as good. It just cooks the meat, it does no smoky magic. McDonalds is fast too.

These are the type of posts that make me sad.

These are the type of posts that make me sad.

You can only bring a horse to water.

You cannot keep its head under until the bubbles stop.

will the lump charcoal last long enough for a real whole briskett (12-16 lb'er)? My fear is that I will have to remove the meat to add charcoal for a 12+ hour smoke. Please advise ...

will the lump charcoal last long enough for a real whole briskett (12-16 lb'er)? My fear is that I will have to remove the meat to add charcoal for a 12+ hour smoke. Please advise ...

I once smoked a pork butt for 24 hours without adding more lump charcoal. Yes--24 hours.

If you load it up, there is no problem with the charcoal lasting. You do not use that Kingsford crap that is half sand and binders. Lump charcoal will last long enough for anything if you set the temperature right.

I once smoked a pork butt for 24 hours without adding more lump charcoal. Yes--24 hours.

Questions...

Do you tend the meat at all while you're smoking it or just leave it in there? I'd be tempted to check on it. If you're going at a slow smoke, does it screw up your temperature if you open the Egg? Do you turn the meat very often?

For most meats, if you keep smoking even after it's "done", it just keeps getting more and more tender, right? Or can you overdo it?

Questions...

Do you tend the meat at all while you're smoking it or just leave it in there? I'd be tempted to check on it. If you're going at a slow smoke, does it screw up your temperature if you open the Egg? Do you turn the meat very often?

For most meats, if you keep smoking even after it's "done", it just keeps getting more and more tender, right? Or can you overdo it?

Last month, I put 18 pounds of pork shoulder in the Egg at 5:40 pm. I closed the lid and didn't open it until about 11 am the next morning. Dome temperature stayed between about 200 and 250 degrees, depending on the wind. Internal temperature of the meat was higher than recommended (probably about 200 degrees or so) but it was tender as could be. I typically put in more coal than needed, and when I took the meat off, I still had about half of the coal left. When I do long smokes, I typically clean the whole Egg and arrange the coals so that the biggest pieces are at the bottom. You want to make sure there's air flow to keep those coals lighted. If you do it correctly, you don't have to worry about anything. I've done it wrong and have had the fire die in the middle of the night. That's a pain.

Questions...

I tended to check and re-check temps all through the nite--that's just my personality. Then my wife bought me one of these:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/productreviews/digiq2/digiq1.htm

for The Egg and it maintains a very constant temp with no effort at all.

If you open The Egg, it will briefly drop the temp inside the dome. However, I don't open the dome very much and have no need to turn the meat during a slow smoke.

Some meats must be cooked for a very long time (e.g., pork butt) to achieve tenderness. I would imagine if you smoked a pork butt past much past 200 degrees internal temp, it could dry out rather than become more tender.

+1

I am cooking sausages on mine this evening. I will open the grill 30 mins before I am ready to eat, stir the existing coals around and add a few if needed (usually not), light a couple of starters in various places, come back in 20 mins to grill them up. When done close both vents and all remaining coals will be there and available for the next cook.

I have never once wished I had a gas grill. All a gas grill gets you is 10 less minutes from wanting to cook to cooking time and 90% less flavor.

+1

I am cooking sausages on mine this evening. I will open the grill 30 mins before I am ready to eat, stir the existing coals around and add a few if needed (usually not), light a couple of starters in various places, come back in 20 mins to grill them up. When done close both vents and all remaining coals will be there and available for the next cook.

I have never once wished I had a gas grill. All a gas grill gets you is 10 less minutes from wanting to cook to cooking time and 90% less flavor.

Given this, it appears the egg can get up to temp rather quickly. :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...