[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What a Hamm

Kansas State 2000

Hamm becomes first U.S. man to win all-around gold

ATHENS, Greece -- Paul Hamm of the United States won the gold medal Wednesday in all-around gymnastics with a score of 57.823.

The silver went to Dea Eun Kim of South Korea. The bronze medal went to Pae Young Wang, also of South Korea.

The wife wanted to see the tumbling last night so we watched the second half of the performances. Hamm fell and was in 12th place at which time the tumble by tumble guy said "He has lost any chance for the Gold now." B) Boy was he dead wrong.

Anyway, Hamm came back from 12th to win the Gold on the last exercise of the night. He needed a 9.825 to get the Gold and he got a 9.837.

It was an amazing comeback, Frank Reich would be proud. :D:D

I never miss a minute of any of it..... no matter what country is competing in whatever sport including gymnastics...... since 1972. :bigshock:

Paul Hamm's comeback was incredible.... but didn't happen without some help from his comp. They all choked like him to allow him to get back on top. Nevertheless.... his parallel & high bar routines after he fell on the vault... were outstanding.

Freak'in love gymnastics.... love the olympics as a whole.

Carly Patterson goes for the gold in the woman's all-around today. And a BIG day in the pool with some hugh races both mens & womens.

woman 4 x 200 freestyle relay sets a world record last night winning the gold.

Jennie Finch tosses another shutout for Team USA in a 7-0 ass-whoop'in of Canada in softball.

I could go on & on......... :D

On a somewhat related note, both of my grandfathers (both deceased) won Olympic medals for Switzerland.

My dad's dad won bronze in 1924 in Paris and gold in 1928 in Amsterdam in gymnastics.

My mom's dad won silver in 1936 in Berlin in rowing, the 4-man with coxswain.

Pretty cool stuff.

On a somewhat related note, both of my grandfathers (both deceased) won Olympic medals for Switzerland.

My dad's dad won bronze in 1924 in Paris and gold in 1928 in Amsterdam in gymnastics.

Pretty cool stuff.

355686[/snapback]

very cool stuff. Love the verbage.... coxswain...lol.

Amazing your mom's dad in '36 Berlin....in front of Hitler as he prepared ( or already did ?) to take over their homeland in war.... whoa.

Amazing your mom's dad in '36 Berlin....in front of Hitler as he prepared ( or already did ?) to take over their homeland in war.... whoa.

355705[/snapback]

Yep, and 1928 was the first time Germany was allowed back. THey had been banned for their aggression in WWI.

Some day I will proudly be inhereting the medals my dad's dad won. :D

355705[/snapback]

verbiage

Pretty cool stuff.

355686[/snapback]

That is very cool stuff--I'll have to tell this to my wife. (I've been having fun ribbing her a little bit about the Olympics when she asks questions like, "How many medals does Switzerland have now?" so I think hearing this might make her happy).

Yep, and 1928 was the first time Germany was allowed back. THey had been banned for their aggression in WWI.

Some day I will proudly be inhereting the medals my dad's dad won. :D

355865[/snapback]

Sweet! I don't know anyone personally that owns an Olympic medal and you have family that does. Very cool.

... and it was a most impressive come back. Drop to 12th ... get a little help from your opponents ... 2 great performances ... and come from behind to win it all.

Moving 12 places in gymnastics with only 2 exercises left is phenominal.

Of course the Koreans have filed a complaint and there is some issue about a judging error :D

These gymanst impress me with their strength and flexibility as well, with those physical attributes, they should play a sport.

The judges were already suspended, Hamm didn't really earn the gold, but as was stated earlier, he's not the first to get an underserved gold, and he won't be the last. I'm not suggesting (like some) that he should give it back, however.

355705[/snapback]

They were from Switzerland, so Hitler never went to war against them.

Yours sincerely

Mr Pedantic Bassturd :D