[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

My take on Dak vs. Romo

Cowboyz1

NEVERMIND...... :whistle:

DAK and ZEKE :bow:

Ok, here it is. Conventional wisdom says Dak is winning and looking good doin it. Sure he's done everything and more. Protect the football, make good decisions, be accurate and find the open receiver. More importantly he's moved the chains with his legs and handed the ball off the Zeke who's been nothing short of amazing coming out of college to lead the Pro game. Ok, I get it. The team has rallied around him, and above all he's winning. 7 in a row kind of winning.

That's all well and good. Believe me, I couldn't be happier. BUT.......

He is still a Rookie QB. Any of you veteran footballers know as well as I do, this game that's the NFL changes as the games get bigger. It just does. The game goes to another level. One where Defensive Coordinators have a half a year of tape to figure you out kind of level. What works the first half of the year suddenly and for explained reasons, stops.

We've all seen it. Wentz coming out of the gates red hot then..........not so much. He's one of a long list of rookie signal callers that took a year or so to understand this NFL game and the long season that allows special defensive minds to decipher and mine for your early flaws.

Now, imagine for a moment. Tony Romo has been watching all this transpire. He's got a front row seat to his end as a Dallas Cowboy. One thing I know about Romo is that he is one competitive son of a b..tch. As you know I love the guy. He's won when he shouldn't have, played, bruised, battered broken and scared for us on Sunday when the line wasn't the greatest. We've rarely had the best running back in the league and when we did, Romo was nothing short of awesome.

Back to my thought. Tony has never had anyone challenge him on this team. Not while he's been a Cowboy. Now he's laid eyes on the future. Suddenly, he's become the past.

I get all that.....But let me tell you this. Jones isn't scared at all to put Romo in. Because if Romo ever, I mean EVER, gets under center, behind this offensive line, with Zeke in the backfield and all those healthy wide receivers........

It will rain Cowboys Touchdowns!

When I say Rain Cowboys touchdowns, I mean he will Reign as the Cowboys touchdowns maker. Not a defense in the league would stop him. People seem to forget that a healthy Tony Romo, that can throw from a rocking chair as they said today, will kill defenses.

Oh yes, health. Can he make it through a series let alone, half a season. Is he too old. Can his rickety bones manage to stay upright and unbroken for a Super Bowl run?

All I know is that I have seen this guy play with a punctured lung, broken back, busted bones and all, while throwing touchdowns.

Bottom line for me is this. IF they EVER let Romo see the field, and I pray they do, he's going to stack up Cowboy points like cord wood. He's the only QB on this roster that I have complete confidence can and will beat the Patriots juggernaut or anyone else for that matter. This defense is no 85 Bears. Not even the 92 Cowboys. We are going to need his experience, I believe he will be that good in this offense.

We'll see but remember, I was the one that told you I saw a magical season this year! :wink:

Edited by Cowboyz1

When you just graduate from college with your nice, crisp degree fresh off the Epson printer and you go out looking for a job it's really hard to get hired a lot of places. Why? Because you don't have experience and they want the guy who's been doing this forever. You get pissed off and complain to your friends, drinking buddy or girlfriend "how the hell am I supposed to get experience if no one will hire me?" Everyone in the modern world has been there, felt that.

So, Dak carries us to the playoffs, then the keys to the hot rod that he has restored get flipped to Romo. "Sorry kid he has more experience driving". How is he supposed to get playoff experience if they won't let him play?

So he loses the game? Big deal, Cowboys and Cowboys fans are used to losing. At least we had a hell of a lot of fun watching us get there. The best part though, Dak breaks his playoff cherry and gets that coveted experience for next year. Now he's stronger, faster, smarter, maybe they draft another young receiver. Boom, scary awesome Cowboys team. Oh ya, Zeke has a year of experience too.

That's how I view this whole thing.

Edited by Apothus

You have to get past your hard on for Romo. Romo hasn't played in a regular season NFL game in a year. You keep touting the experience Romo has ... remind me again, with Romo as the QB how many playoff wins, conference wins, super bowl wins do the Cowboys have?

The team plays differently with Romo under center than they do with Dak under center.

What exactly is the advantage to benching Dak for Romo? Do wins count more if Romo is the QB? Do we get 3 extra points going into the game if Romo is the QB?

• Like 1

If Romo EVER and I mean EVER got to play behind this line (wait he already has) heres what would happen. Romo would drop back, scramble unnecessarily, and then suffer some type of season ending injury. Most likely being a broken bone in his back or collar bone. He needs to retire dude. He was good, but that was like 5 yrs ago.

• Like 1

Ok, here it is.

<snip>

As you know I love the guy.

<snip>

That is really all that needs to be said, you love him and think he'll be Favre and Staubach combined, and the Cowboys will win 5 consecutive SB behind a sack of bones throwing the ball around by sheer will.

And for all this talk about how Dak (and most rookies) will cave under pressure, just how great is Romo in clutch games? How many SB and NFC title games has he won? How bad has

Like Grits said, time to get over your manlove. You can still love and respect the guy while acknowledging there's a new sheriff is in town and he is in charge.

I wouldn't doubt Jones has as big a hardon for Romo and forces Garrett to bench Dak. Egomaniacs do things like that.

We're also forgetting about Romo's infamous and yet annual December collapse. And his record in the playoffs when games matter the most. Dak may not be as productive passing as Romo has in some games, but his mobility brings a whole new facet to the offense that has been very effective.

I've been a Cowboys fan all of my life. And when the game is on the line, I honestly cringe with Romo in there because I expect that something is going to go wrong. With Prescott, I don't feel as anxious. He is a rookie and has a long way to go, but his learning curve is 7-1 and tied for the best record in the NFL and it was not all Elliott.

I'd keep Prescott in. DAL is off to the best start in franchise history and you want to play around with that? For a QB that lasted all of 3 plays in the offseason? The Cowboys hit gold with Elliott and Prescott and it was some luck. Stupid to mess with a great thing.

We're also forgetting about Romo's infamous and yet annual December collapse. And his record in the playoffs when games matter the most. Dak may not be as productive passing as Romo has in some games, but his mobility brings a whole new facet to the offense that has been very effective.

I've been a Cowboys fan all of my life. And when the game is on the line, I honestly cringe with Romo in there because I expect that something is going to go wrong. With Prescott, I don't feel as anxious. He is a rookie and has a long way to go, but his learning curve is 7-1 and tied for the best record in the NFL and it was not all Elliott.

I'd keep Prescott in. DAL is off to the best start in franchise history and you want to play around with that? For a QB that lasted all of 3 plays in the offseason? The Cowboys hit gold with Elliott and Prescott and it was some luck. Stupid to mess with a great thing.

In his defense, I don't know of any QB that could win with the defenses we fielded in his tenure. 2014 was that best chance and the refs took it away. No I don't believe he collapsed all by himself. He knew if he didn't take every single chance they had no chance to win. See NE, NO, DEN, and countless other games that he put up 38 to 49 points and still lost. I don't blame Romo for December I blame the defense that could never hold the leads he created and left him hanging out to dry on countless last minute drives.

If you look at Romo's 4th quarter stats, games with him down by 6 or less with the last possession and come backs you will be very very surprised.

Edited by Cowboyz1

19, 18, 11, 28, 21, 7, 6, 32

These are the rankings so far for the defenses Dallas has faced.

I'm as thrilled as anyone with how Dak has played. What a find in the draft for where they got him!

But let's see how the games play out when it really matters before we crown his ass

Edited by HowboutthemCowboys

19, 18, 11, 28, 21, 7, 6, 32

These are the rankings so far for the defenses Dallas has faced.

I'm as thrilled as anyone with how Dak has played. What a find in the draft for where they got him!

But let's see how the games play out when it really matters before we crown his ass

19 (Giants) - First "real" game and showed some jitters, and refused to throw the ball downfield (5.04ypc) but looked poised and patient in the pocket.

18 (Redskins) - 73.3% completion and a 103.7 rating.

11 (Bears) - 79% completion with a 10.33 average per catch, got his 1st TD, 123.6 rating

28 (49ers) - 72% completion 115 rating, but it's the 49ers

21 (Bengals) - 75% completion 118 rating, by the way still no Interceptions

7 (Packers) 67% completion 117.4 rating, did not look like a rookie in prime time vs Aaron Rodgers

6 (Eagles) - 48.7% completion 79.8 rating, I watched this game the entire time thinking he really needs to stop forcing it to Bryant. He looked horrible in the 2nd and 3rd, but boy did he rally the troops, got the defense some time to rest and came from behind and won the game in overtime, not a pick 6 to lose it (i.e. Romo)

32 (Browns) - .....142 rating but it's the Browns

Cowboys fans haven't had to use the excuse "if he had Bryant" or "he's missing weapons" all season. This team is built around protecting the QB and the run game. Prescott has played better without the teams superstar. I also read the other day the Prescott gets on Bryant about not running routes hard. You don't have to light up the box score and wow at all times, you have to manage the game and not force yourself into bad situations. Prescott is still a rookie an has a hell of a learning curve, but he does a lot better job of managing the game and keeping the entire team involved than Romo did, and the way he runs the offense at the line you would never know he's a rookie.

Just my $.02, as a Browns fan I have to be excited about something right?

In his defense, I don't know of any QB that could win with the defenses we fielded in his tenure. 2014 was that best chance and the refs took it away. No I don't believe he collapsed all by himself. He knew if he didn't take every single chance they had no chance to win. See NE, NO, DEN, and countless other games that he put up 38 to 49 points and still lost. I don't blame Romo for December I blame the defense that could never hold the leads he created and left him hanging out to dry on countless last minute drives.

If you look at Romo's 4th quarter stats, games with him down by 6 or less with the last possession and come backs you will be very very surprised.

I agree with you 100 percent and I'm not even a Cowboys fan. Tony Romo opens up the options for the Cowboys offense whereas the are limited with a rookie QB; however, I don't know if the coaching staff will make the change. If they wait until they are trailing in a game in the playoffs, it may be too late.

I agree with you 100 percent and I'm not even a Cowboys fan. Tony Romo opens up the options for the Cowboys offense whereas the are limited with a rookie QB; however, I don't know if the coaching staff will make the change. If they wait until they are trailing in a game in the playoffs, it may be too late.

BUT THEYRE WINNING GAMES OOMMGG!!!!!!

:lol:

Question, for any capologists out there. IF they wanted to keep Romo AND Romo wanted to stay as a backup to Dak to finish out his career in Dallas, could they do anything with the current contract with Romo's approval? I mean if Romo agreed to lower his contract could they do that? Or would they have to release him, then resign him to a new contract.

I really don't think Romo wants to play anywhere else if at all if he's not in Dallas. Not sure how they could keep him though with the cap the way it is. Any info would be appreciated.

Nobody is crowning Dak. I have yet to hear a single Romo supporter tell me what advantage Dallas gains by benching Dak for Romo. Dak is already leading the team to wins. I keep hearing about the ability to 'open up the playbook' ... why exactly do we need to do that if we are winning games? I keep hearing about the experience Romo brings to the table ... are you really telling me that Romo's record in December and his record in the post season is the reason to bench Dak for Romo? Really?

Are you really trying to tell me that Romo doesn't play scared now because he is afraid to take another debilitating hit? Are you really telling me that offense under Dak isn't a bit more dynamic because the O-Line isn't always in max-protect making sure that their fragile QB doesn't take another hit?

Nobody is crowning Dak. I have yet to hear a single Romo supporter tell me what advantage Dallas gains by benching Dak for Romo. Dak is already leading the team to wins. I keep hearing about the ability to 'open up the playbook' ... why exactly do we need to do that if we are winning games? I keep hearing about the experience Romo brings to the table ... are you really telling me that Romo's record in December and his record in the post season is the reason to bench Dak for Romo? Really?

Are you really trying to tell me that Romo doesn't play scared now because he is afraid to take another debilitating hit? Are you really telling me that offense under Dak isn't a bit more dynamic because the O-Line isn't always in max-protect making sure that their fragile QB doesn't take another hit?

You make all good points. I just believe Romo has the ability to do things that Dak can't because he is being taught to do things a certain way and that's it. He's told what to do and how to do it. He does it, and wins. However, when the game comes down to doing everything right and still everyone's covered, experience gets you into a route they haven't seen yet, gives you and edge that Romo and Dez have that Dak and Dez don't yet.

Romo can see things that Dak just can't see yet. Romo makes things happen that only a veteran can. If you put Romo behind this offensive line, with Zeke in the backfield and the combo of Dez, Beas, TW and Witten, the offense is simply unstoppable because of what Romo can do with his experience. His command of this offense is so far above what Dak could imagine it could do right now.

All I am saying is Romo is a great option down the stretch and I think Jerry is going to make the move and allow this offense to go to another level of explosive. I just fear that Dak will end up meeting a defense that will take away his 1 2 3 reads and his legs and force him to do something he's not capable of yet. Maybe I am totally wrong but I know what Romo can do in this offense and I don't know yet what Dak can do when the games get really really big. I would rather find out next year when Dak takes over but this year, I want to see Romo take the team to the promised land. I think it will do Dak a lot of good and spare him the hurt of losing in a big game because of his inexperience and hurt his confidence.

Cowboyz,

You seem like a decent guy. You are a true Cowboy fan and I can respect that. You don't sling crap in your posts and your posts are very well thought out and articulate. As I have said every year at the beginning of the NFL season, football does not start until I read Cowboyz rose tinted outlook of the Cowboys upcoming season.

I am finding it hard to understand your loyalty to Romo. It almost seems like your loyalty is to him first and then the Cowboys. With the exception of Dez Bryant, there has to be no one on that team that wants to make a change at QB now. If he keeps playing this well, as much as it pains me to say this, the Cowboys COULD run the schedule. Who is left who scare them? The Steelers? Ravens? Vikings? Giants? Lions? They are better than all of them. I am sure they will lose a game or two, but if it is not due to Dak, how do you ever bring Romo back?

The Cowboys caught lightning in a bottle. It was like the Patriots with Brady (and no I do not put Prescott and Brady in the same category). Once they turned the team over to Brady, there was no looking back. The Cowboys should do this with Prescott. Even if they lose in the first or second round this is invaluable experience for him to build on for years to come.

As a Giants fan, I hope they go back to Romo and it causes a huge rift in that team because that is the only thing that is going to slow this team down.

• Like 2

You make all good points. I just believe Romo has the ability to do things that Dak can't because he is being taught to do things a certain way and that's it. He's told what to do and how to do it. He does it, and wins. However, when the game comes down to doing everything right and still everyone's covered, experience gets you into a route they haven't seen yet, gives you and edge that Romo and Dez have that Dak and Dez don't yet.

Romo can see things that Dak just can't see yet. Romo makes things happen that only a veteran can. If you put Romo behind this offensive line, with Zeke in the backfield and the combo of Dez, Beas, TW and Witten, the offense is simply unstoppable because of what Romo can do with his experience. His command of this offense is so far above what Dak could imagine it could do right now.

All I am saying is Romo is a great option down the stretch and I think Jerry is going to make the move and allow this offense to go to another level of explosive. I just fear that Dak will end up meeting a defense that will take away his 1 2 3 reads and his legs and force him to do something he's not capable of yet. Maybe I am totally wrong but I know what Romo can do in this offense and I don't know yet what Dak can do when the games get really really big. I would rather find out next year when Dak takes over but this year, I want to see Romo take the team to the promised land. I think it will do Dak a lot of good and spare him the hurt of losing in a big game because of his inexperience and hurt his confidence.

You mean like all those other great performances of Romo's "down the stretch" in Decembers past?

Cowboyz,

You seem like a decent guy. You are a true Cowboy fan and I can respect that. You don't sling crap in your posts and your posts are very well thought out and articulate. As I have said every year at the beginning of the NFL season, football does not start until I read Cowboyz rose tinted outlook of the Cowboys upcoming season.

I am finding it hard to understand your loyalty to Romo. It almost seems like your loyalty is to him first and then the Cowboys. With the exception of Dez Bryant, there has to be no one on that team that wants to make a change at QB now. If he keeps playing this well, as much as it pains me to say this, the Cowboys COULD run the schedule. Who is left who scare them? The Steelers? Ravens? Vikings? Giants? Lions? They are better than all of them. I am sure they will lose a game or two, but if it is not due to Dak, how do you ever bring Romo back?

The Cowboys caught lightning in a bottle. It was like the Patriots with Brady (and no I do not put Prescott and Brady in the same category). Once they turned the team over to Brady, there was no looking back. The Cowboys should do this with Prescott. Even if they lose in the first or second round this is invaluable experience for him to build on for years to come.

As a Giants fan, I hope they go back to Romo and it causes a huge rift in that team because that is the only thing that is going to slow this team down.

Fair enough, maybe you're right. Maybe I'm just scared of Dak failing in the playoffs and feeling cheated because I believe Romo would have been able to win. Or maybe I just don't have a lot of faith in a Rookie winning it all. Or maybe I just appreciate Romo for what he has done and feel it's somehow an injustice that he doesn't get to play with this offense even after paying so many dues to get here. It could be that my sense of justice is overwhelming my eyes just like Jerry Jones feels the same sense of loyalty to Tony. I do see what is happening. I do see what Dak is doing and can hardly believe it.

I don't know. I am so happy with my Cowboys I can hardly stand it. On the othe hand, I am conflicted because I want to win it all. My gut tells me Romo is the one that can do it.

I suppose the best thing to do is to take it a game at a time and enjoy the ride no matter what happens. So that's what I am going to do. Enjoy the winning and stop second guessing. What will happen will happen and I can't control who starts. I will pull for Dak will all my Cowboy heart and we'll see what happens.

Go Cowboys. I am lovin this. :tup:

Edited by Cowboyz1
  • Like 1

I suppose the best thing to do is to take it a game at a time and enjoy the ride no matter what happens. So that's what I am going to do. Enjoy the winning and stop second guessing. What will happen will happen and I can't control who starts. I will pull for Dak will all my Cowboy heart and we'll see what happens.

That's the best you can do. Enjoy the ride and take it a game at a time. Seasons like this happen so infrequently. I can only hope the Giants get this lucky when they draft a replacement for Eli.

im confused

why isnt anyone checking in for duty on romos performance in win or go home games 2-11

or when he came in on thanksgiving with the best o line in football and threw 4 picks last year

better yet the thanksgiving before that

Mark Sanchez out played him in EVERY FASHION

Check in for duty on my dak post before the season tho