[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sidebets and Loser Punishments

srowe

Hi everyone!

I am a sports journalist based out of LA currently doing a piece on the wild world of loser punishments and side bets in fantasy sports, predominantly football. I am hoping to hear as many stories from you all as possible sharing and recounting the worst bets and punishments that owners in your league or leagues you know about have had to do. If you are based in LA as well, please let me know and I would love to do an interview with you for TV! Thank you all so much I look forward to hearing all the stories you have! 

P.S. Losing in my league has caused me to piece my ears for the season so I am (unfortunately) well versed in this area.

10 minutes ago, srowe said:

It was rough! What is the loser of your league punishment? 

They lose, and don't win money. They get the first pick in the following years draft. It will be my second consecutive last place finish. 

We don't have a league punishment, sounds like something from an episode of The League. Maybe we're just old men (mostly in our 50s). 

It's probably a normal league and better off that way! Maybe that's just my ears talking though haha. The League definitely has inspired my league and I'm sure that there are several others out there similar to what we have seen in the show. 

OMG, this concept never occurred to me.  By this time a handful of guys are racing to the bottom.  Sadly, my opponent this week played some second stringers and Gabriel, who didn't even play, and is still slated to beat me by 30 points.  

Having a punishment would keep people a little more honest.  I know I won't get the tattoo option through but I'll need to come up with something...  

1 minute ago, 1fastdoc said:

OMG, this concept never occurred to me.  By this time a handful of guys are racing to the bottom.  Sadly, my opponent this week played some second stringers and Gabriel, who didn't even play, and is still slated to beat me by 30 points.  

Having a punishment would keep people a little more honest.  I know I won't get the tattoo option through but I'll need to come up with something...  

We have a cash prize for weekly high score, that keeps most players from submitting garbage line-ups. We don't need to make somebody wear a dress at the next draft of get a piercing or tatoo. 

Just now, 1fastdoc said:

Punishments are great for keeping people honest and encouraging engagement from what I have gathered and experienced! Tattoo is a lot (and permanent) but then again so are these earrings...

1 minute ago, Finn5033 said:

Nothing crazy but in my 12 team standard league I run the bottom 2 finishers for the regular season have to supply beer for next years draft. This past year it cost about $120

This is great! Keeping everyone active to avoid the beer run! Are you located in LA by chance?

My local league holds its draft at a  pub/bar and on draft night they've always got karaoke going(always the Friday night of Labor Day weekend). So we instituted a rule where the loser of our our Toilet Bowl has to sing a tune of league members choosing at the following years draft in front of whole bar. AC/DC's "Big Balls" has been chosen a few times

Edited by slambo

1 minute ago, League_Champion said:

I like that one a lot. 

This was our 10th season, besides pride it works well. Once guys are out of the playoff picture they openly admit that their next goal is to not finish in the bottom so they don’t have to buy beer next season.

5 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

My Buddy is paying off his last years last place finish by wearing a Dallas Cowboys jersey that says "Eagles Suck" on the back to the Eagles Home game vs Dallas on Dec. 22

He'll be lucky to get out alive. That will learn him to not suck at Fantasy Football. I'll be flying in for that one for sure! 

Sorry just seeing this one! I see by your Eagles logo that it is probably extra enjoyable for you haha! Where will you by flying to Philly from? 

2 minutes ago, slambo said:

My local league holds its draft at a  pub/bar and on draft night they've always got karaoke going(always the Friday night of Labor Day weekend). So we instituted a rule where the loser of our our Toilet Bowl has to sing a tune of league members choosing at the following years draft in front of whole bar. AC/DC's "Big Balls" has been chosen a few times

This. This is amazing. That song is the ultimate punishment.

Are you by chance located in the LA area?