[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Josh Gordon suspened indefinitely, again

Big John

25 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

It's sad, he'll probably be dead in 5 years. 

Agree.

He doesn't seem like a bad guy or anything, at least what I know of him.

Poor dude just can't control his demons.

19 minutes ago, purplemonster said:

Yeah here you go.  Xanax in 7th grade and escalated from there.  That many drugs when the brain is developing can't  be good.  I probably couldn't stay sober myself 

https://www.boston.com/sports/new-england-patriots/2018/09/18/josh-gordon-drugs-suspension-timeline

I didn't know that. 

Xanax in seventh grade. :blink:

3 hours ago, purplemonster said:

Yeah here you go.  Xanax in 7th grade and escalated from there.  That many drugs when the brain is developing can't  be good.  I probably couldn't stay sober myself 

https://www.boston.com/sports/new-england-patriots/2018/09/18/josh-gordon-drugs-suspension-timeline

Thanks for sharing. I think this is the saddest part of it all: 

“I’ve been enabled most of my life honestly,” Gordon said. “I’ve been enabled by coaches, teachers, professors — everybody pretty much gave me a second chance just because of my ability.”

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, DMD said:

Wow. Poor guy just cannot get it controlled even with the best of resources available.

Yes poor guy :rolleyes: I'm thinking he just has no will power, this isn't heroin or meth with a physical addiction. Apparently he cannot function without being high, and that is against the rules for his profession, and against the law in many places. He better adapt. 

Hopefully he saved some of the approx $5.4M he was paid in his short NFL career, and can find a career that is less stressful or more tolerant of his support system. 

Sorry I really have no sympathy for this guy, plenty of people struggling with more serious addiction without all the benefits he's been afforded. 

YES I know that sounds kind of harsh, possibly because of the wasted resources my team spent on him and the many times he disappointed us. It is sad he was enabled by so many all along, and had no good influences or family that could help him be more normal before it got this bad. 

But he also just seems kind of dumb. He had a suspension one time that prohibited drinking during the season. Few days after the last game he flies (to Vegas?) with some other guys, including teammate Joe Haden. They're drinking on the plane and posting to social media. Upon landing he is informed he'll be tested, and did was shown to have been drinking, which wasn't allowed, until the NFL season (not the Browns regular season) was over. He was unaware of when the NFL season actually ended (usually a day or two after the SB), apparently he didn't care to find out before drinking, didn't have an agent who kept him informed, etc.  Not just enabled, but entitled and clueless. I don't wish ill on him but I'm not going to be praying for him either. 

Edited by stevegrab

3 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

I hear ya Steve but sometimes it's not that cut & dry. Factor depression into the mix and you have a whole other set of issues. 

See my revised post. I've followed this saga closely thru his time with the Browns. He may have real issues, but I think a large part of it is not being willing to change, or tying hard enough. 

16 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

See my revised post. I've followed this saga closely thru his time with the Browns. He may have real issues, but I think a large part of it is not being willing to change, or tying hard enough. 

Ohh, I agree. Any way you slice it he has no excuse. He HAD all the resources in the world. Like you I'm afraid that now he'll never get the help he needs.