[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Winston to sign with Saints

Shaft

1 hour ago, purplemonster said:

I am still surprised Jameis isn't a starter somewhere.  He's still young.  But maybe the Saints want to coach him up and see if he can replace Brees eventually.  Not necessarily a bad plan if there are no other takers

Totally agree.

Nice move by the Saints.

2 hours ago, purplemonster said:

I am still surprised Jameis isn't a starter somewhere.  He's still young.  But maybe the Saints want to coach him up and see if he can replace Brees eventually.  Not necessarily a bad plan if there are no other takers

This makes the most sense. He's going into an established system and it's a low risk-high reward move for the Saints.

4 minutes ago, Gourdeau said:

I was hoping the Steelers would get him. According to reports they offered him a slightly more lucrative deal, but Winstom chose to go learn from Payton and Brees. I can respect that decision.

Look at what it did for Teddy Bridgewater. Bridgewater had a chance to sign with Miami last offseason and compete to be the starter and chose to stay as a backup with the Saints. Jameis has way more physical talent than Bridgewater, if he can get better upstairs he could be really good.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Finn5033 said:

Look at what it did for Teddy Bridgewater. Bridgewater had a chance to sign with Miami last offseason and compete to be the starter and chose to stay as a backup with the Saints. Jameis has way more physical talent than Bridgewater, if he can get better upstairs he could be really good.

Yup and its more likely that Brees is going to retire before Ben so less time to wait.

15 hours ago, purplemonster said:

I thought it was just a 1 year deal, but apparently it's 2 years for $21M, with $16M guaranteed. 

Great move by the Saints.  See what the guy does as a backup for a year.  See if Brees is done after this year..... if he is, sign Winston for a longer deal if he looked to be "gettin' it".  He could be the Saints starter for 5-6 years and that offense would still be pretty good.