[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Week 14 Game of the Week.....

Rovers

The NY Daily News had an opening line of 5, and it's moved to Pitt by 6 already, with an over under of 36. Even with Abraham out, with his 9 1/2 sacks, the Jets D has been very stingy lately, although it has been against some of the weaker teams. Some numbers to crunch....

Defenses---yds/gm----pts/gm---Take aways---sacks

Pittsburgh---253.8-------15.3--------24-----------39

NY Jets-------290.8-------14.6--------25-----------27

Offenses----yds/gm----pts/gm------TOP--------yds/play

Pittsburgh---315.6-------22.8--------34.1--------5.0

NY Jets-------338.1-------21.2--------32.0--------5.6

Across the board, on paper these two teams look evenly matched, discounting strength of schedule, with the exception of sacks. The Jets are 4-2 on the road, while the Steelers are 6-0 at home. I think six points is a bit much. The opening line made more sense, but I guess all the early money is going on the Steelers. Both teams protect the ball well, so I did not include any more numbers, they are very close across the board between these two.

Pitt comes off a close last minute win on the road at Jacksonville, and the Jets had a relatively easy win over Houston, giving up only 7 points to an offense that averages 19.7 points per game.

Pitt has the #2 rushing offense, and the Jets are #3...... the run/pass ratio is different, the Steelers are 38.6/22.0 rush/pass, while the Jets are 33.1/30.0. The Jets outgain the Steelers in avg/rush, 4.0 to 4.6, and the Jets passing offense is ranked a few teams higher that the Steelers.

My head tells me, Pitt, 17-13, but my heart says NY, 24-23 in an exciting game. :D I think the Jets will use Jordan more in this game, trying to use his size against the Pitt front to wear them down. Then, a lot of play action short slants and outs. Surely, Cowher will give the Jets front a heavy dose of Staley and Bettis, trying to do the same thing to the Jets D. I think the game will stay close throughout, and I expect Pennington to throw a lot more in the second half. With Abraham out, I expect more blitzing from the Jets, and I'm sure the safeties will cheat up until Big Ben throws some. Vilma and Ellis will have to have big games and make some big plays. Predictions, anyone?

I will be in the stands for this one, so that will help the Steelers tremendously. :D

I expect a great game in this one. Should be similar to the PIT-JAX game, except that the Steelers are at home for this one. I expect this to be a relatively close game, with the Jets doing a good job holding back the Steeler running game just as the Jags did. However, I expect Burress to be back, making the passing game much more dangerous and I look for Ben to have another nice game as the Steelers take this one at home.

Steelers 24

Jets 17

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe I started this a little too early.... wondering where the Steeler fans are. This has even the Pitt fans set up for a trap week! I have a feeling about this game..... "Big Ben Barfs Berger at Heinz, Menudo is Blamed".

598143[/snapback]

Every game now is a trap for Pittsburgh to lose but they keep escaping the trap...the only trap game is the one in your little brains.

Close enough on paper. Game will probably swing one way or the other on a Defensive or a Special Teams play. Hopefully the Steelers will control S.Moss on punt returns, and the big play will be by Farrior or Polamalu as usual. :D

Steelers 24-13 (game played closer than the final score would indicate)

Sorry, didn;t see this thread so I started a different one here with my take on things.

I think the loss of Abraham might hurt the Jets run defense - not that Abraham is all that against the run, but his backup Bryan Thomas is undersized so I'm afraid Steelers will run at him alot.

Bottom line to me is this - if a team can run the ball, defend the run, and avoid turnovers, then more often than not that team is at least in the game in the fourth quarter. Both the Steelers and the Jets can do all 3 of these things, although it remains to be seen if they can do it against one another. I think the Jets will do OK keeping the Steelers run game in check, but I'm not sure CuMar or Jordan can get off against Pittsburgh. I think the way to beat Pittsburgh is with a vertical passing game, something noticeably lacking in Jetsville this year so far.

I do think it will be settled in the 4th quarter, and I like the Jets getting those points, but I'm reluctant to predict an outright victory for the Jets, as much for karma reasons as anything else. I am very pumped for this one.

Man, this is going to be a game that says a lot. I'm going to say J-E-T-S. I like the way they are playing right now a little better than the way Pitts is playing currently.

Final Score Prediction: Jets 27-Pitts 23

That would be a lot of points for this matchup of two ball control teams.

601291[/snapback]

My reaction too. I said it before - two teams that run the ball well, defend the run well, and tend not to commit many turnovers = a tight game where the outcome is not likely to be settled until the latter half of the fourth quarter. Points will be at a premium, especially touchdowns. This is why I really like the Jets getting 6 points, I see this being a very close game.