[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Holiday decorations

i_am_the_swammi

Sooo....while the wife and I are getting ready to have a bunch of people over for Thanksgiving this week, my pesky neighbor was out last weekend putting up all his Christmas decorations. Lights, bows, garland, etc. all over his house. So I'm thinking "OK, maybe he wants to just get it up while the weather is nice, but not turn the stuff on until early December".

Wrong...guys house looks like missile launch....I'm sure it can be seen from aircraft at 10,000 feet.

So I saw him last night while getting my mail, and yelled over "Merry Christmas, Scott!"...he looked at me kinda funny. While I'm all for the Christmas spirit, when is "too early"? I don't put my lights up until early-to-mid December, about two weeks before the holiday.

Is this one more pet peeve of just me? When do most Huddlers get their decor up and running?

Discuss.

It's less about when you put them up and more about when you take them down to me.

That being said, the day after Thanksgiving is the official start of X-Mas season for me, so anytime after that I'm cool with....

My thoughts exactly. We don't do much of anything outside the house at all and don't even get a tree every year (no kids, so it's not as big a deal). Basically, if we're planning on hosting a holiday party, we get a tree, otherwise, we don't. None the less, we'll bust out the decorations on some Sunday in early December, make a nice stew and drink some wine.

Then, if they make it to New Years, they don't make it to the week after.

i will be out there this Friday like Chevy chase

:D

usually after thanksgiving. but if the weather is nice before, will put the lights up but wont turn them on til after turkey day.

:wacko:

if you start making exceptions, some of these retards will ride that slippery slope all the way back to august.

my fear realized....I saw one house nearby with its lights on just after Halloween.

I think everyone is pretty much agreed that Thanksgiving marks the acceptable change in season to Christmas when it comes to decorating. One of the things that has already been lost by our continual expansion of the Christmas season back this far, is the proper celebration of the season of Advent (for Christians anyway).

I remember as a kid being excited to have our Advent wreath with the different colored candles, and just getting into the anticipation of Christmas each week. We fought over who would light and blow out the candles each day. And then of course there was the Advent calendar. It was always SOOOOO tempting to want to open up each window right away. It was a kind of slow torture, but in a really good way. :wacko:

I think everyone is pretty much agreed that Thanksgiving marks the acceptable change in season to Christmas when it comes to decorating. One of the things that has already been lost by our continual expansion of the Christmas season back this far, is the proper celebration of the season of Advent (for Christians anyway).

I remember as a kid being excited to have our Advent wreath with the different colored candles, and just getting into the anticipation of Christmas each week. We fought over who would light and blow out the candles each day. And then of course there was the Advent calendar. It was always SOOOOO tempting to want to open up each window right away. It was a kind of slow torture, but in a really good way. :D

so you don't practice these things with your family anymore? :wacko:

so you don't practice these things with your family anymore? :wacko:

We do... I just think that the early Christmas decoration people (which seems to grow each passing year) are missing out (assuming they are Christian to begin with).

We do... I just think that the early Christmas decoration people (which seems to grow each passing year) are missing out (assuming they are Christian to begin with).

oh, okay. I see what you mean... and glad to here you keep your tradition alive. Maybe one reason people are decorating earlier is that the holiday is starting to not be recognized as "Christmas" but rather as some other name. Thereby, less traditional values are placed on it?

okay...I'm reaching, but what can I say? I'm bored right now.

I don't think any Christmas decorations should be put up (inside or outside) until at least the 1st of December. Halloween decorations don't go up in September, Thanksgiving isn't even discussed until November (well, us Canadians had our Thanksgiving over a month ago) so why should Christmas be any different?

I imagine that on Christmas Eve, sky will be flipping a coin to Tiny Tim and telling him to hurry to market and get the largest Christmas Goose he can find! :wacko:

LOL Close.

We usually get the tree about a week and a half before Christmas and make a pretty big day out of that with the kids (and now grandkids instead). And Christmas is a big thing too.

But what with the stores putting out Christmas stuff before halloween it takes a bit of ooomph to get me in the spirit anymore. Pretty soon the Christmas stuff will be out by the 4th of July.....and then before Easter. *sigh*

As far as putting stuff out in the yard and decorating the outside of the house. Probably never have, don't now, and probably won't ever. You just have to put it away after Christmas is over. My way....you don't ever have to put it away 'cuz it was never out.

So.... it is ALWAYS to early to decorate for Christmas outside.

As far as putting stuff out in the yard and decorating the outside of the house. Probably never have, don't now, and probably won't ever. You just have to put it away after Christmas is over. My way....you don't ever have to put it away 'cuz it was never out.

So.... it is ALWAYS to early to decorate for Christmas outside.

I change my regular 2 white lightbulbs outside my front door to red ones. That's my exterior Christmas decorating.

But what with the stores putting out Christmas stuff before halloween it takes a bit of ooomph to get me in the spirit anymore. Pretty soon the Christmas stuff will be out by the 4th of July.....and then before Easter. *sigh*

Even the old Peanuts Easter special showed Christmas sales prior to Easter.

I change my regular 2 white lightbulbs outside my front door to red ones. That's my exterior Christmas decorating.

I like it. :wacko: And if you are a frugal person.... you can use them from year to year. :D

Even the old Peanuts Easter special showed Christmas sales prior to Easter.

Well, there ya go. Leave the displays up year 'round and the decorations up year 'round. Save wear and tear on everyone. :D