[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

San Francisco

Brentastic

Going to No Cal this weekend for the first time (ever in CA). Flying into San Fran Friday, arriving around 11AM. Our plan is to do some sight-seeing, eat lunch and then drive to our final desintation about 90 miles north. I'm trying to find the biggest, juiciest lobster tail in San Fran. I've been recommended 2 places - Fisherman's Grotto and Sam's Cafe. Can anyone advise on which is best for lobster tail (looking for big tails, 24+ oz) OR fabulous king crab.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McCormick and Kuleto's is probably my favorite seafood restaurant...great views/right on the water and they generally serve Dungeness crab and lobster.

Scott's is another nice seafood restaurant and they have several different locations throughout the bay area.

Do yourself a huge favor and take the wife across the bay into Sausalito (by ferry or car) and hit Guaymas...spectacular view of San Francisco and the Mexican food is incredible.

i'd say save your lobster for the east coast and go for the dungeness. abear has listed some of my favorites. for someone who hasn't been to sf and only has 1 meal (in your case lunch) i'd suggest: dungeness; dim sum; or in your case...as you are heading north anyway...... the girl and the fig in sonoma (great rustic french, with a napa twist....great flights of wine).

dungeness .... from yelp

- crab house

- scoma's

- franciscan

- tarintino's

dim sum

the girl and the fig

Edited by Bier Meister

i'd say save your lobster for the east coast and go for the dungeness. abear has listed some of my favorites. for someone who hasn't been to sf and only has 1 meal (in your case lunch) i'd suggest: dungeness; dim sum; or in your case...as you are heading north anyway...... the girl and the fig in sonoma (great rustic french, with a napa twist....great flights of wine).

Beat me to it. It's peak season for Crab right now as well. God I miss dungeoness crab. I realize the purists say the blue crab you get out here is better and sweeter, but it's also a freaking hassle and I miss the big chunks you get from the big girls. If you're buying lobster tail in SF, you may as well be in Des Moines for all that matters. It's been frozen at some point.

Yeah, pretty much what Bier said...if you are heading up North into Clear Lake I'd recommend taking 101 up to Sausalito for an early lunch and then head up into Sonoma (hwy 37 out of Novato from 101 and then take 121 up to Sonoma) and hit a few of the wineries on hwy 12 and head over to Calistoga (hwy 29/hwy 175)...that will take you right in Cobb...

What I'd recommend not doing is going into the East Bay and heading up through Richmond/Vallejo/Napa...very congested and the views just aren't worth it IMHO. The Sonoma to Calistoga section is way more scenic, especially if you can stop at Sterling Vineyards or Far Niente (hwy 29 around Calistoga)...somewhere up in there and do a few wine tastings...very nice drive.

Oh, and bring lot's and lot's of money...

Edited by ABearWithFurniture

One other thing and just a suggestion...if you only have a couple of hours I'd recommend just getting out of San Francisco...it's someplace that really needs a few days of exploring to take it all in and get a feel for it. Parking almost anywhere is atrocious, especially in the more tourista areas like Pier 39 and China Town...and just driving around can be a pain from all the one-way streets...

First off, I agree that it is far nicer to go up 101 cut over 37 to 121/12 and take that to 29. Depending on the time of day you can either stop in the Carneros (along 121 before you get to 29). If you like bubbles, Domaine Carneros is right on the way and is freaking amazing. Tons of other options. If Chard and Pinot are your thing, then time it so you can stop there. If you're more of a Cab guy, then blow through Carneros and time your wine stops in Napa proper (which you can't really help but go through) You can either take the 29 or Silverado Trail up. Regardless, you're going to end up on that side anyway.

There's actually a burgeoning wine country up by clear lake. I've got a friend Jed Steele who owns Steele winery up in Kelseyville and there's a bunch of others as well. So, it might make even more sense to just get up there and save the wine tasting for when you get to where you're headed. At least for the most part.

First off, I agree that it is far nicer to go up 101 cut over 37 to 121/12 and take that to 29. Depending on the time of day you can either stop in the Carneros (along 121 before you get to 29). If you like bubbles, Domaine Carneros is right on the way and is freaking amazing. Tons of other options. If Chard and Pinot are your thing, then time it so you can stop there. If you're more of a Cab guy, then blow through Carneros and time your wine stops in Napa proper (which you can't really help but go through) You can either take the 29 or Silverado Trail up. Regardless, you're going to end up on that side anyway.

There's actually a burgeoning wine country up by clear lake. I've got a friend Jed Steele who owns Steele winery up in Kelseyville and there's a bunch of others as well. So, it might make even more sense to just get up there and save the wine tasting for when you get to where you're headed. At least for the most part.

........... my favorite area. it's a little further away from where i start (sf or marin), so i often go to sonoma to save time...but less populated and GREAT wineries along that trail.

Lot's of good info in here. Will read it more thoroughly tonight. So is dungeness the same as king crab? My only complaint with crab is the time it takes to get the meat etc... I like king crab because of the ease - is dungeness also easy and plenty meaty?

king and dungeness are different. (red) king often come from alaska, are much bigger, and are known for their legs. dungeness come from further south (washington), more work is involved but a lot of that crab is edible.

Beat me to it. It's peak season for Crab right now as well. God I miss dungeoness crab. I realize the purists say the blue crab you get out here is better and sweeter, but it's also a freaking hassle and I miss the big chunks you get from the big girls. If you're buying lobster tail in SF, you may as well be in Des Moines for all that matters. It's been frozen at some point.

detlef likes chunky girls. Who knew? :wacko:

detlef likes chunky girls. Who knew? :wacko:

No, re-read it. He likes big girls with chunks. :D

I realize the purists say the blue crab you get out here is better and sweeter, but it's also a freaking hassle

While dungeness crab is my single favorite food on the planet, I LOVE to get a dozen #1 sized Maryland blues, cook em up with old bay and garlic, cut a few paper shopping bags flat and lay them out on the table, dump out the blues, put on a football game and go to work for an hour or two. That's a perfect afternoon right there.

So, without discussing with the wife yet (she's hell-bent on driving the gg bridge), I've decided to get out of SF first, then finding somewhere to eat. Since my wife is 6 months preggers and she LOVES wine, I'm not sure how feasible it will be to hit some wineries - if she's fine with the temptation, I will definitely try either Silverado Trail or Detlef's friend in Clear Lake.

Are there any places to get fabulous dungeness if I get out of SF immediately? Looking for suggestions.

E2A: Does anyone think it will be a problem driving up Cobb mountain after dark? I'm trying to decide if I should plan on getting to Cobb before it gets dark.

Also, a co-worker of my wife mentioned Sam's cafe and Fisherman's Grotto. Anyone know anything, good or bad, on these 2 places?

Edited by Brentastic

So, without discussing with the wife yet (she's hell-bent on driving the gg bridge), I've decided to get out of SF first, then finding somewhere to eat. Since my wife is 6 months preggers and she LOVES wine, I'm not sure how feasible it will be to hit some wineries - if she's fine with the temptation, I will definitely try either Silverado Trail or Detlef's friend in Clear Lake.

Are there any places to get fabulous dungeness if I get out of SF immediately? Looking for suggestions.

in sausalito there is scoma's, spinnaker, horizons, and fish. cute harbor town, just not sure who over there serves whole crab (which i am assuming you are looking for).