[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I'm not a fan of this woman

SEC=UGA

Washington (CNN) – Lanny Davis joined Ari Fleischer Sunday in calling for Hearst Corporation to take quick action against legendary White House correspondent Helen Thomas for recently saying that Israel should “get the hell out of Palestine,” and that the Jewish people should go home to “Poland, Germany … and America and everywhere else.”

Thomas was also dropped by her agent Nine Speakers, Inc. Sunday, CNN has learned, and Craig Crawford, who coauthored “Listen Up, Mr. President” with Thomas, said in a blog post that he “will no longer be working with Helen on our book projects.”

Thomas has apologized for her comments that she made to Rabbilive.com about Israel.

Specifically, she was asked, “Any comments on Israel?”

“Tell them to get the hell out of Palestine,” she responded.

The interviewer then asked “Any better comments on Israel?” To which Thomas said, “Remember, these people are occupied and it’s their land. It’s not German’s. It’s not Poland’s.”

Thomas was then asked where the Jews in Israel should go and what they should do? Thomas responded, “They should go home” which the White House reporter identified as “Poland, Germany . . . and America and everywhere else.”

Thomas is considered the “dean” of the White House press corps after decades covering the presidency. The syndicated columnist for Hearst Corporation’s newspapers holds a privileged seat in the front row of the White House press briefing room where she regularly fires sharp questions on the major issues of the day at White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs.

In the apology posted on her website Friday, Thomas said she “deeply” regretted her comments. “They do not reflect my heart-felt belief that peace will come to the Middle East only when all parties recognize the need for mutual respect and tolerance. May that day come soon.”

But her apology was not enough for Davis, who served as special counsel to former President Bill Clinton.

“Helen Thomas, who I used to consider a close friend and who I used to respect, has showed herself to be an anti-Semitic bigot,” said Davis. “This is not about her disagreement about her criticisms of Israel. She has a right to criticize Israel and that is not the same as being an anti-Semite.”

Davis added, “If she had asked all Blacks to go back to Africa, what would White House Correspondents Association position be as to whether she deserved White House press room credentials - much less a privileged honorary seat?”

Previously Fleischer, who served as press secretary for former President George W. Bush, said Thomas should be fired because of her remarks. And in a statement provided to CNN Sunday he reiterated that demand.

“Helen's statement calling for the religious cleansing of Israel is reprehensible,” Fleischer said. “If this isn't bigotry, what is? What she said is as bad as someone saying all blacks should leave America and go back to Africa.

“Hearst Newspapers should do the right thing and let Helen go,” Fleischer added in the statement.

Update, 8:33 p.m.: The Anti-Defamation League has provided CNN with a written statement regarding Thomas' remark and apology. "Helen Thomas’s statement of regret does not go far enough. Her remarks were outrageous, offensive and inappropriate," ADL national director Abraham H. Foxman said in the statement. Foxman added, "Her suggestion that Israelis should go back to Poland and Germany is bigoted and shows a profound ignorance of history. We believe Thomas needs to make a more forceful and sincere apology for the pain her remarks have caused."

I understand that this is not the most politically correct thing to say, but racist, anti-semitic and bigoted? Believe me, I believe this woman is a self rigteous bitch, but, I just don't see these comments as being grounds for dismissal from her jobs.

I understand that this is not the most politically correct thing to say, but racist, anti-semitic and bigoted? Believe me, I believe this woman is a self rigteous bitch, but, I just don't see these comments as being grounds for dismissal from her jobs.

That's what I love about old people, they speak their minds and don't care what anything thinks. I don't think she's a bigot based on these remarks, but it was not the best judgement and it is probably about time she retire.

She needs to change her title from journalist to entertainer, then she can make stupid comments all the time.

Then she'd lose her place in the Whitehouse Press Corps, and she'd still catch hell from some anyway.

Then she'd lose her place in the Whitehouse Press Corps, and she'd still catch hell from some anyway.

Old age is a dangerous weapon.

As long as she doesn't say send the illegal Mexicans back to Mexico, it's all good in today's society.

True.

she gone

Longtime White House correspondent Helen Thomas, who recently made controversial comments about Israel and the Palestinians, has retired, Hearst

Corporation said Monday.

"I deeply regret my comments I made last week regarding the Israelis and the Palestinians," Thomas said in a statement. "They do not reflect my heart-felt belief that peace will come to the Middle East only when all parties recognize the need for mutual respect and tolerance. May that day come soon.’’

Will there be some kind of comment forthcoming from The Hearst Corporation?

She's an idiot and had to go, imo.

I guess it's a good thing she wasn't standing by the Ark of the Covenant in Raiders of the Lost Ark!

ZAPPO!!!!

I think she had spent so long in the WH Press Corps, she had contracted the disease that afflicts politicians - arrogant and completely out of touch. She wasn't so much a journalist as a relic that no-one dared touch, like e.g. Strom Thurmond

I think she had spent so long in the WH Press Corps, she had contracted the disease that afflicts politicians - arrogant and completely out of touch. She wasn't so much a journalist as a relic that no-one dared touch, like e.g. Strom Thurmond

What he said.