[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Electronic Cigarettes

Rovers

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since part of the habit is holding the cigarette and inhaling, I bet it would help in conjunction with the gum or patches. Supposedly the group support sessions really help too. I'd suggest doing all of it if you've had a lot of trouble quitting.

My aunt Cathy went in to her doctors office for the flu back on the Wed before Thanksgiving. They did all of the test but everything looked normal. She then got really sick a week later and she went to urgent care. They did all of the test and a chest x-ray but this time they found a mass the size of plum in her right lung. She went to have all of the normal cancer tests performed and was diagnosed with stage 4 small cell lung carcinoma. By this time it had spread to her stomach, both ovaries, liver, right kidney, small intestine, her aorta, her left lung and i believe somewhere in either her head or neck.

It was 53 days from diagnosis to death for my Aunt Cathy who passed January 17th at 6:02 AM EST at the age of 63 and weighing less than 100lbs.

She was a smoker. She left behind 4 children, 4 grandchildren and a husband as well as all of the rest of my family. It happened so fast that we didn't even have time to comprehend the diagnosis let alone prepare for her passing.

That story should help you quit.

I've heard all the stories before. Frankly, if I could afford it, I probably would not quit. I can't afford it. $10 a pack in NY. I am long divorced (twice) and never had any kids. There is no one who has to depend on me, (cepting my doggie) and I am not afraid of death.

However, having this addiction has detrimental effects on the quality of my life, another reason I have for wanting to quit. I hate having to leave a restaurant for a smoke. (Yes, I can't go longer than 30 or 40 minutes without one or I start twitching). I hate the smoke, the dirty windows, the ashtrays and the burn holes in my clothes from falling ashes. That is not to mention the hacking I go through every morning.

I have desperately tried to quit many times. It seems that people who tried these E-Cigs have had great success with them, and BTW they are MUCH cheaper. They are smokeless. There are quite a few options out there now for these things, so I am looking for some advice on which ones to buy.

I've heard all the stories before. Frankly, if I could afford it, I probably would not quit. I can't afford it. $10 a pack in NY. I am long divorced (twice) and never had any kids. There is no one who has to depend on me, (cepting my doggie) and I am not afraid of death.

However, having this addiction has detrimental effects on the quality of my life, another reason I have for wanting to quit. I hate having to leave a restaurant for a smoke. (Yes, I can't go longer than 30 or 40 minutes without one or I start twitching). I hate the smoke, the dirty windows, the ashtrays and the burn holes in my clothes from falling ashes. That is not to mention the hacking I go through every morning.

I have desperately tried to quit many times. It seems that people who tried these E-Cigs have had great success with them, and BTW they are MUCH cheaper. They are smokeless. There are quite a few options out there now for these things, so I am looking for some advice on which ones to buy.

I hear ya. It is so incredibly hard to quit smoking because it is both physically & mentally addictive. I've heard my friends who tried to quit saying that their days are so much longer now because they don't take that break & that almost everything they do triggers the feeming for a smoke. I read somewhere that nicotine is 5 times more addictive than heroin. It is such an uphill challenge to quit. If you want to continue smoking, can't you buy them cheaper from a native american reservation? My logistic coordinator does this.

I do know that 2 of my friends tried the e-cigarettes (E-smoke brand) and they hated it. Katie said it simply doesn't help her curb her cravings and it taste like crap.

The key is a good nicotine replacement product (like the patch) to step down the nicotine dosage. Then if you still feel the need to fiddle with something in your hand...let me rephrase...if the act of holding the cigaratte, putting it to your mouth, etc, is a craving, then maybe the electronic cigarette could help with that. But they are not in themselves considered an effective nicotine replacement. Also if you have a support group pulling for you, you might be less likely to want to light up and let them all down in addition to yourself. You may need all three (patch, fake cigarettes, support group) to tackle the problem.

I hear ya. It is so incredibly hard to quit smoking because it is both physically & mentally addictive. I've heard my friends who tried to quit saying that their days are so much longer now because they don't take that break & that almost everything they do triggers the feeming for a smoke. I read somewhere that nicotine is 5 times more addictive than heroin. It is such an uphill challenge to quit. If you want to continue smoking, can't you buy them cheaper from a native american reservation? My logistic coordinator does this.

I do know that 2 of my friends tried the e-cigarettes (E-smoke brand) and they hated it. Katie said it simply doesn't help her curb her cravings and it taste like crap.

I have read that there are big differences in which E-Cigs one tries. There is another MB that has a two page thread on it at an "unamed site" where people went through several different ones before finding one that they liked and worked for them. These do in fact deliver nicotine. You buy these empty cartridges and buy what theycall "juice" and dose the cartridge with it. There are even all sorts of whacky 'flavors' available. You can pretty much add as much "juice" as you want. These folks even talk about things like "throat hit" and stuff...LOL.

I will probably go with the consensus best brand they mentioned, but I thought maybe some Huddlers also had experience with them. I've done the patches, the gum, a pipe, none of those things worked for me. Thanks for the replies.

I have read that there are big differences in which E-Cigs one tries. There is another MB that has a two page thread on it at an "unamed site" where people went through several different ones before finding one that they liked and worked for them. These do in fact deliver nicotine. You buy these empty cartridges and buy what theycall "juice" and dose the cartridge with it. There are even all sorts of whacky 'flavors' available. You can pretty much add as much "juice" as you want. These folks even talk about things like "throat hit" and stuff...LOL.

I will probably go with the consensus best brand they mentioned, but I thought maybe some Huddlers also had experience with them. I've done the patches, the gum, a pipe, none of those things worked for me. Thanks for the replies.

Man I remember back in the early 80s my step-father had a massive pipe collection and he would smoke this cherry tobacco that smelled so freaking good. I can't stand cigarette or cigar smoke but I LOVE the smell of pipe tobacco. My old company commander always had a pipe hanging out of his mouth and he smoked this Amsterdam blended that smelled so good - it smelled like a mix of vanilla & cedar almost.

Man I remember back in the early 80s my step-father had a massive pipe collection and he would smoke this cherry tobacco that smelled so freaking good. I can't stand cigarette or cigar smoke but I LOVE the smell of pipe tobacco. My old company commander always had a pipe hanging out of his mouth and he smoked this Amsterdam blended that smelled so good - it smelled like a mix of vanilla & cedar almost.

Same here, my grandfather was a pipe smoker. Had a little pipe rack with all different ones, but had his favorite that he kept on him at all times. And he kept the tobacco in a little homemade leather pouch that he carried in his pocket. On Sundays, he'd switch to cigars. Definitely a less pleasant smell than the pipe.

Then one day the cigars, pipes and tobacco all went in the trash. He decided to quit, just like that. Never touched tobacco ever again, after smoking for 50+ years.

I went ahead and ordered these things. The starter kit with 10 blanks and some juice was about what it costs for a carton here in NY. If it works for me... it should work for anyone. I'll update on my progress. I should get them the middle to end of next week.

I quit about 10 years ago. I hate to say it but when I think about it now it didn't seem that hard. But I was convinced that if I didn't quit I'd be dead within 5 years. Don't know why I thought this, but it stayed in my thoughts and drove me to quit.

The day I quit I bought one box of that gum, and use that to help calm the cravings. Went thru about a half a box. But even now, every once and a great while I get a sudden urge for one. I'll be sitting there and think, man a smoke would be great right now. But as fast as the urge hits, it goes away.

My wife quit on the same day, and several more times. What finally made her quit was Cancer. Diagnosed almost 2 years now, the surgery but her in the hospital for a week, and unable to work for 3 months. Se hasn't smoked since.

Good luck.....

It's up to 10 bucks a freakin pack now?

I went ahead and ordered these things. The starter kit with 10 blanks and some juice was about what it costs for a carton here in NY. If it works for me... it should work for anyone. I'll update on my progress. I should get them the middle to end of next week.

Good luck Rovers!!!

Good luck Rovers!!!

Thanks. I've tried everything, but I am getting stoked about these things. You get the nicotine, the "throat hit", the flavor, you puff and exhale vapor and you can lower the dose as you go along. I smoke about 2 1/2 packs a day. On occassion it pushes 3. Been smoking for well over 40 years. I was an addict at conception. My mom smoked during her pregnancy, and both parents smoked, so I can almost say I have been smoking my entire life, including womb time. I did manage to quit for 3 months when I was around 21 once, that's about 35 years ago.

BTW, it is now illegal to smoke anything in NYC parks and beaches. :wacko:

whatever gets you to stop is great ... I have a friend who smoked a pack/day for 20 years. One day he put them down and started jogging. He has never picked them up again and he lost 40 pounds. You will need something to replace the boredom and if you drive long distances it is harder. I suggest one of those stress squeeze balls and alot of gum. The electric cigs won't really save you money but anything is better than real smoke.

Another alternative is to keep using tobacco, but use a vaporizer. That is 95% safer b/c you never "burn" tobacco over 450 degrees (more like 360 degrees). THe idea here is that there are absolutley no carcinogens, no bi-products (smoke), because there is no combustion. Yet, you get the nicotine and you blow out "smoke".

http://www.marijuanavaporizer.org/vaporization-vs-smoking/

Having a heart attack at 41 will do it. Had my last cig after driving myself to the hospital instead of work outside the ER having chest pains. Figured it was nothing but turned out to be a heart attack. Got a stent put in to clear the blockage and quitting was really easy after that.

First thing I noticed was the amount of money I had soon afterwards. I smoked less than a pack a day and cigs here are nowhere near as expensive as in NY. I think I was spending around $30 every 10 days for a carton. Although a carton of cigs is now at least $10 more than it was back then. I see poor people smoking and just shake my head. Even the off-brands are as expensive as the Marlboro Lights I used to smoke.

I don't preach to anyone about their choices, but if they ask for help, this is what I tell them: If you want an incentive to quit....close your eyes, relax and let Mike Tyson punch you in the chest as hard as he can and blame it on the smokes. When you're laying in the ER alone with your thoughts, hopefully you'll regret every single cigarette you ever smoked and realize how ridiculous it was. I know I did. Quitting after that was a piece of cake. The breathing improved quickly...no more coughing/hacking. Felt like a million bucks quitting. I read somewhere your body heals itself from the cigs quickly. I believe that to be true after I quit. Good luck, man.

Edited by TimC

Actually, these E-Cigs are far less expensive than smoking real cigs. My addiction costs almost $25 a DAY. These will run about $4, if that much. These things don't have any of the 4000 other carcinogens toacco has. I won't say that using them is healthy, but they certainly are safer than real cigs. Almost no risk of emphazema and no tar buildup in the lungs. It sems like it just may be the right solution for me on the way to some day being entirely nicotine free. I'm looking forward to the challenge.

Of course, the idiots in Albany just wrote a law for vote in the state senate and assembly to make them illegal. They claim they are aimed at kids for cryin out loud. No kid could ever hide this stuff, it's far too involved with batteries and rechargers, etc. I actually believe they just want the $60 per carton tax they have on real cigarettes. I hate NY.

I was surprised to see the E-Cigs arrive today, I was thinking more like Wednesday. I'm going to stick with Wednesday because that was my target and I want to get even more pumped up about quitting. In addition, I recieved two battery units, and both need an 8 hour initial charge, so tomorrow would be the earliest I could shoot for. I also have a half carton of butts to kill first. I don't want any in the house when I make my move.

I also ordered a USB "bypass" unit... this just plugs into a USB port and replaces the battery. I vaped for the first time today. I wanted to try it out.

No doubt it isn't like smoking a butt, however it does mimic the experience pretty well. It almost seems like a menthol cigarette because there is no flame involved, no heat. The vapor comes through cool temperatrure wise. I will have to experiment some as others have told me to expect for what works best for me. More vapor and throat hit is what I think I want. Exhaling the preloaded cartridges I bought produces little vapor. Adding glycerin to the cartridges supposedly creates more vapor.

Many have told me how after vaping for only a few days, real butts will taste terrible, like licking an ashtray. There will still be some withdrawal symptoms, the tobacco companies have loaded up cigarettes with other toxic, addictive additives, but nicotine is the big magilla, and that is what these things provide, just a better delivery system than a patch or gum. More on demand, more like a cigarette.

You drink some coffee, you get an urge. Gum and coffee don't work for me... this will, I firmly believe. On demand. Better yet, you light up a butt, you have to finish it, and puff like a madman to keep it lit with the flame retardant additives they introduced in NY a few years ago. With this, if all you want is two puffs, that's all you take.

My first impression has done nothing but make me more confident this is gonna work for me. I have been a slave to big tobacco far too long. Let the idiots in Albany make these illegal too, they just want the $65 in taxes they get on a carton here. Albany doesn't want people to quit smoking. I'd like to go Egyptian on them. Different topic.

Anyway, I'm stoked. Wednesday... quit. Something I never thought possible. :wacko:

Good luck. Just remember that no gimmick in the world is going to make you quit - your will to quit has to be stronger than your irrational addiction's compulsion not to. The first three months or so are the worst - take them one day at at time. After that, you'll start to get some wind back into your lungs and its time for a little regular exercise. I hope the vapor things help, though.

Good luck. Just remember that no gimmick in the world is going to make you quit - your will to quit has to be stronger than your irrational addiction's compulsion not to. The first three months or so are the worst - take them one day at at time. After that, you'll start to get some wind back into your lungs and its time for a little regular exercise. I hope the vapor things help, though.

I would not call these a gimmick. There is nothing irrational about addiction either. It's all very real and tangable. It's physical, emotional, behavioral and psychological. Many studies have claimed after the initial withdrawal symptoms, kicking nicotine (and all he other addictive carcinogens in cigarettes) is more difficult than kicking heroin. It isn't about one's will. That is an irrational judgement based on predjudice. Now consider the above, and realize that heroin addicts have detox, rehabs, and meth programs to help them beat an addiction, yet studies show cigarettes are more difficult to quit.

I was a major coke head back in the 80's. BIG time. Made a ton of money, fast cars, hugh income, life in the fast lane, all that crap. . Kicking a cocaine addiction was child's play compared to this.

Aside from that, people like to project their own experiences onto others, and it does not work when it comes to cigarettes. It is very different for each individual. As I said earlier... I was a nicotine addict in the womb. To dismiss it as matter of will power is ignorant. Walk a mile in my shoes, as the old saying goes.

Will power got me through sorting debris looking for body parts at ground zero. I have will power to spare. Yes, it gets me torqued off when someone dismisses this issue as a character flaw. It isn't.

I would not call these a gimmick. There is nothing irrational about addiction either. It's all very real and tangable. It's physical, emotional, behavioral and psychological. Many studies have claimed after the initial withdrawal symptoms, kicking nicotine (and all he other addictive carcinogens in cigarettes) is more difficult than kicking heroin. It isn't about one's will. That is an irrational judgement based on predjudice. Now consider the above, and realize that heroin addicts have detox, rehabs, and meth programs to help them beat an addiction, yet studies show cigarettes are more difficult to quit.

I was a major coke head back in the 80's. BIG time. Made a ton of money, fast cars, hugh income, life in the fast lane, all that crap. . Kicking a cocaine addiction was child's play compared to this.

Aside from that, people like to project their own experiences onto others, and it does not work when it comes to cigarettes. It is very different for each individual. As I said earlier... I was a nicotine addict in the womb. To dismiss it as matter of will power is ignorant. Walk a mile in my shoes, as the old saying goes.

Will power got me through sorting debris looking for body parts at ground zero. I have will power to spare. Yes, it gets me torqued off when someone dismisses this issue as a character flaw. It isn't.

Easy there, Rovers. I started smoking when I was 12. *Finally* quit around 31ish. Took me for-evah, and I was only successful after having been unsuccessful countless time. Believe me - I get that the addition is real. But the "decision" to keep smoking even when you don't want to, that's the part that is irrational. You know its bad for you, its expensive, and you want to quit. And yet most people who try the first time fail, because its really, really hard. I know because I've been there. I tried the patch. I tried tobacco-less smokes. I tried hypnosis. None of them worked because, down deep, I still wanted to smoke. (I always like the ritual more than anything). It wasn't until my desire to quit became more powerful than my addiction that I was able to put it down for good - and when I did, it was cold turkey without any product-related assistance.

Like I said, I certainly wish you luck. Because quitting is easy - not smoking after that is the hard part. And I'll reiterate my suggestion for regular exercise when you're ready. Once my body started feeling "good" again I never looked back.

Sorry, I got pretty annoyed (at another site just prior to my last post) where some toolbag told me I was just weak willed. I have done things very few others could have done in my life time, and my will is as strong as any.

This isn't a gimmick. It's a nicotine delivery system, like the patch or the gum. It just isn't backed by the big American drug companies, so people like to think of it as a gimmick. My old man could stop at will for a month. My mom could never stop. It's different for everyone. I am much more like my mom than my old man.

OK, you want a story about cigarettes? I'll give you one.

My mom smoked Chesterfield non filters. The last 15 years of her life was filled with coughing up lungers at any time, any place. She got emphazema, the last 3 years of which I was her primary care taker involving oxygen tanks and difficulty breathing, bed pans and trying to find something to cook that she would eat. Still she smoked away from the tank in her bedroom. Slowly her body just could not process oxygen into her bloodstream anymore.

One night we knew she was going to leave us. We took turns sitting in the bedroom with her. I saw the moment coming. I was alone with her. I held her in my arms. She coughed up blood. I cried silently. My sisters were in the kitchen as she breathed her last breath and finally exhaled as life left her body. I cleaned her up, wiped the blood away and then cried out for the family. She was gone. Cigarettes had killed her. Death is very ugly. One can actually feel the life leave the body.

Having gone through that, paying $10 a pack, I still could not quit. I wanted to. Desperately. I just could not get it done. I don't want to die a slow miserable death. My sinus problems, the congestion, the coughing, my lungs and most of the health risks associated with smoking don't exist with these things. Only narrowing of blood vessles remain, but the anti depressantand stimulant properties of some nicotine will still be there helping me in the process of being nicotine free completely some day in the near future.

Support rather than wet rag comments are far more helpful. In fact, encouragement is very helpful.

Sorry, I got pretty annoyed (at another site just prior to my last post) where some toolbag told me I was just weak willed. I have done things very few others could have done in my life time, and my will is as strong as any.

This isn't a gimmick. It's a nicotine delivery system, like the patch or the gum. It just isn't backed by the big American drug companies, so people like to think of it as a gimmick. My old man could stop at will for a month. My mom could never stop. It's different for everyone. I am much more like my mom than my old man.

OK, you want a story about cigarettes? I'll give you one.

My mom smoked Chesterfield non filters. The last 15 years of her life was filled with coughing up lungers at any time, any place. She got emphazema, the last 3 years of which I was her primary care taker involving oxygen tanks and difficulty breathing, bed pans and trying to find something to cook that she would eat. Still she smoked away from the tank in her bedroom. Slowly her body just could not process oxygen into her bloodstream anymore.

One night we knew she was going to leave us. We took turns sitting in the bedroom with her. I saw the moment coming. I was alone with her. I held her in my arms. She coughed up blood. I cried silently. My sisters were in the kitchen as she breathed her last breath and finally exhaled as life left her body. I cleaned her up, wiped the blood away and then cried out for the family. She was gone. Cigarettes had killed her. Death is very ugly. One can actually feel the life leave the body.

Having gone through that, paying $10 a pack, I still could not quit. I wanted to. Desperately. I just could not get it done. I don't want to die a slow miserable death. My sinus problems, the congestion, the coughing, my lungs and most of the health risks associated with smoking don't exist with these things. Only narrowing of blood vessles remain, but the anti depressantand stimulant properties of some nicotine will still be there helping me in the process of being nicotine free completely some day in the near future.

Support rather than wet rag comments are far more helpful. In fact, encouragement is very helpful.

Bah, don't worry about my feelings. You are quitting smoking: by definition, you are going to be a cranky, irritable, testy SOB. And believe me, I'm trying to encourage you - I'm living proof you can quit even after many years of smoking. In my experience you need: (1) a good enough reason to quit (for me, it was becoming a father); and (2) a reason not to smoke anymore (for me, I like the "runners high" more than the nicotine high). The trick is finding what works for you - if that's your vapor thing, more power to ya.