[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jersey Court Appearance

frenzal rhomb

Im from PA - I got caught outside the Stone Pony last week with an open containe. The cop who wrote my ticket stated I didnt have to appear in court nor did he check the box on my ticket that I had to appear.

So I went online to pay my fine and I read my summons is not payable. So I contact the court and find out the cop was wrong and its a mandatory appearance. This is a two hour ride for me.

Now per the letter of the law Im guilty and have no problem paying the fine, but why would I have to appear in court for a summons?? Doesnt that seem a little excessive for a simple open container.

If I hadnt called the court - I wouldnt know to appear

Edited by frenzal rhomb

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well - I guess this gives me a shot. If the cop doesnt know I have to appear, maybe he doesnt know he has to appear.

Very, Very, irresponsible to drive around with an open container... You gotta finish those things more quickly!!

I was stopped - engine off - in the parking lot waiting to go in to the club. I had four total beers in the car and was on my first one

IIRC this is one of those laws that if your keys are locked in the glove compartment, then you're good to go, but if you have them within reach, you're busted.

If it were me, I'd believe the court papers over what the cop told me and plan a day in court. You're right...maybe he won't show and you can get off on that technicallity since you are supposed to be allowed to face your accuser.

Seems lame you have to go to court just to pay a fine. I got a speeding ticket last year here in town. I was like 11 over the speed limit (one of those busy streets that suddenly drop to 35) and the ticket was like 90 bucks. Of course I also had to pay $47 court fee on top of that. Even if I didn't go to court and just paid the ticket or took the class. It just annoys me how retarded some of this crap is. If I go online and pay a fee with my debit card, i still have to pay court fees? Why not just up the cost of the speeding ticket if you want more money. Anyway, I'll stop my blathering / rant. My guess is that it is a way for them to screw you for more money. Good luck

Edited by Square

Can you snail mail payment in with your summons and a letter saying "I'm guilty, here's your money, I can't appear due to work"?

there is no amount shown - I have no idea what to pay. I wouldnt appear at all and just stay put of NJ altogether, but I frequesnt the Stone Pony and the Starland Ballroom - for the life of me I cant figure out why they want me to appear in person. Im 41, a scolding isnt gonna affect or scare me -

there is no amount shown - I have no idea what to pay. I wouldnt appear at all and just stay put of NJ altogether, but I frequesnt the Stone Pony and the Starland Ballroom - for the life of me I cant figure out why they want me to appear in person. Im 41, a scolding isnt gonna affect or scare me -

Do it again and I will kick the POOP out of you!

Pay me $55 and move on

Pay me $55 and move on

I wish - I just looked up the statute I was charged under - $200.00 fine and I have to go to court so they can advise me the next time I do it, it will cost me $250 and some community service.

The best part is - its a 2 hour ride one way for me to write the check, get a lecture and then turn around and drive 2 hours home.

Nope, 41 college educated and good job. You get old, Im glad Im still out there hitting the punk rock shows and having fun. Despite this issue, I'll keep at it - next tailgate is Dropkick Murphys in Philly - however, their they allow you to have a good time.

:wacko:

I'm 43, and attend multitudes of concerts and sporting events....and don't feel the need to pound four beers before heading into any of them to have a good time :tup: I have a good job too with educated and well-read clients, and would never risk my name potentially appearing in a police blotter for consumption-related fines so I could "catch a buzz early". Google your name, and it will now likely bring up the Asbury Park Press with your name being listed as someone who got busted drinking illegally. In my line of work, there is no way that buzz is worth it.

regardless, enjoy Dropkick at the EF...one of my favorite places to enjoy a show!

:wacko:

I'm 43, and attend multitudes of concerts and sporting events....and don't feel the need to pound four beers before heading into any of them to have a good time :tup: I have a good job too with educated and well-read clients, and would never risk my name potentially appearing in a police blotter for consumption-related fines so I could "catch a buzz early". Google your name, and it will now likely bring up the Asbury Park Press with your name being listed as someone who got busted drinking illegally. In my line of work, there is no way that buzz is worth it.

regardless, enjoy Dropkick at the EF...one of my favorite places to enjoy a show!

when in Philly - I enjoy the Troc much more - however, pounding down four beers and then going into a show and sweating in the pit isnt going to affect me - and honestly, Im not really concerned about my name appearing in the paper for an open container. Its not a big deal and Im not embarrased by it. Its just Asbury is apparently real uptight - Im certain multiple people in management and VPs of major companies like to go to events like football and hang out and have a few beers outside the stadium.

Now if I were found passed out drunk in a bathroom stall like some of PA's fine electorate have been found - then I might be embarrassed

Edited by frenzal rhomb

And by the way - I googled my name in the Asbury Press and Im not there - but when looking at their paper I note they cited someone for Reckless Driving because they hit a road sign while avoiding a deer - apparently they like their excessive fines and high property taxes to keep that armpit of a state going