[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Drafting for multiple leagues

ebartender

I am in 3 leagues and was wondering what other owners think about taking the same players in different leagues. Example: I have Shaun Alexander in a keeper league. I don't know if I would want him in another league. The reasoning is that if Alexander gets hurt I am screwed in both leagues.

I don't try to get/avoid players simply to keep my rosters consistent ... I'd rather have the best player avaialble at that time, in that league's draft. Sometimes it sux to be needing (say) DD to score for me to win in one league, where a DD score will hurt me in a different league, but I'd never go after a player a few rounds earlier than he can be had, just to be sure I have the same rosters across leagues.

I don't actively try to avoid it.

If, in the rare circumstance, I see a choice between two players as a coinflip, I'll take the other side of the coin the second time around.

If the players available are in the same tier, I take a different player. For instance, if I have the third pick in two drafts, I may take Priest in one and Edge in another.

I think that's one of the advantages of using tiers. For maximum return with minimal risk, one should always diversify.

Although I don't actively seek it, if at the end of all of my drafts I had many of the same players on my various rosters I would be happy.

Diversification is fine for my retirement portfolio where I don't want to have any excitement, but the reason I play fantasy football is for the thrill of winning or losing. If I am hedged across my leagues, then the thrill is not really there.

Additionally, I dislike situations where I have to both root for and against a player at the same time because of what that player means in my various leagues.

Your teams are separate.  I see no problems with having the same players.  Don't skip over a better player under any circumstances!

903570[/snapback]

My thoughts exactly. If I have a chance to have someone like LT or Alexander in three leagues, I wouldn't hesitate. Yeah, it would hurt if the player got injured, but I would hope I was smart enough to draft some servicable backups that can fill the void.

Your teams are separate.  I see no problems with having the same players.  Don't skip over a better player under any circumstances!

903570[/snapback]

I agree if he was the right guy on saturday he should be the right guy the following saturday.

What I do is this. If the guy on the board is the highest rated (head and shoulder)player on my board on my turn and I have him on another team I still take him. Now if I have 2 or 3 other players of equal rating I would take one of them instead. Just to switch it up.

I don't avoid it nor do I seek it out but if it happens, I generally take the same player. Mostly because of my gut feeling. and so I can keep the number of players I need to root for down.

Last year I had one "must have" on all my teams-Chad Pennington.  I had him on three of my four teams.  :D  Other than that, I draft based on what the team I'm drafting for needs.  I try not to even think about my other teams while drafting.

903882[/snapback]

I too got burned by overvaluing Pennington last year as I had him in two leagues. I agree with what everyone else has said - if the player is best available - carry him on multiple rosters.