[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

T.O's contract

Swiss Cheezhead

T.O. signed a contract for millions of dollars. That's all we normal people see or care about. Whining over a few more million, no matter how "fair" it isn't to T.O., will get him nowhere in the public eye.

Well, I wouldn't call the Eagles "bad guys", but it would have been a cool thing to do if they rewarded a player for risking his own health and playing his ass off in the SuperBowl. Of course, they're certainly not obligated to do so. And, in terms of the contract, they were definitely "smart". I just don't like the Eagles pretending that they're just another team with another dissatisfied player. They know what's really going on and they probably considered giving T.O. more money -- until they realized the public's backlash allowed them to take the hard line.[/url].

911628[/snapback]

I would think a $9 million bonus is bonus enough for a player "riskign his own health".

The Eagles have always taken the hard line on contract renogiations, long before GB decided to hold the line against Walker. They're just treating Owens like they treat every other player they have under contract.

2 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)

2 Members: Hitman, The Vatican Hitsquad

:D

Like I heard one Philly caller on ESPN radio say not too long ago:

"I bust my azz and hope to be able to afford to go to 1 game a year.....TO can bite me." :D

Edited by Hitman

Here's the breakdown of his current deal:

Terrell Owens-Owens signed a 7 year, 48.91 million dollar deal after being traded to the eagles in the 2004 offseason.  The deal included a 2.3 mil signing bonus prorated over 6 years and a 6.2 mil roster bonus in 2004, and a 2.5 mil option bonus prorated over 4 years and a 5 mil roster bonus in 2006.  His cap numbers are as follows:

2004: $7,243,333 (660K base salary+383,333 proration+6.2 mil roster bonus)

2005: $3,633,333 (3.25 mil base salary+383,333 proration; $1,916,666 dead money if cut)

2006: $7,008,333 (770K base salary+383,333 proration+625K proration+5 mil roster bonus+230K incentives; $1,533,333 dead money if cut before option bonus)

2007: $6,508,333 (5.5 mil base salary+383,333 proration+625K proration; $3,024,999 dead money if cut)

2008: $7,508,333 (6.5 mil base salary+383,333 proration+625K proration; $2,016,666 dead money if cut)

2009: $8,508,333 (7.5 mil base salary+383,333 proration+625K proration; $1,008,333 dead money if cut)

2010: $8,500,000 (base salary)

I don't believe it's a reporting bonus.

alexgaddis Post 8/5/05 11:57am

Huddler Pro

Group: Members

You have chosen to ignore alexgaddis. View this post · Squeeze me a little harder alexgaddis

Doesn't Philly get any credit for rescuing TO from the Baltimore hell his own stupidity trapped him in? Has he forgotten all the whining and teeth-nashing he did to try and get someone else to trade for him when no one would? He was willing to sign ANYTHING to get away from Kyle Boller -- desperate to go to Philly at any price and against the recommendation of his own union -- and now that he's free of that, he's refusing to honor the lifeline of a contract that freed him? Bah. He has no honor -- he's a toad.

I have no personal feelings toward T.O. or Philly management...the big issue here is how does it affect T.O.'s performance this year...if T.O. is subject to being relesed or traded after the 2005 season...that would speak volumes that he will play on a very physical/high level this year and makes him very FF valued..not that he wasn't before...this great information/analysis helps me feel more confident to snatch the man-child up if available late 2nd round with no qualms...Rosenhaus may be a ***, but his guidance to T.O. will be to perform and work the magic (contract negotiation/trade) after the performance...IMO look for a big year out of T. Owens!! :D

If Philly paid T.O.'s $9 million as a reporting bonus last summer, then they could release him without the significant cap hit that would be the consequence of a signing bonus. Therefore, T.O. has even less job security than the average NFL player, which is about nill. Now, the entire sequence of events makes a LOT more sense...

911494[/snapback]

While your explanation might have a little truth to it, I think it could actually have just the opposite result.

So many contracts are backloaded, where say in the 3rd or 4th year of the contract the player is due a huge bonus written into their contract. That's when you see the team approach the player and say look, we no longer think you're worth that big bonus, you need to renegotiate that or we're going to cut you. It's happened quite a bit over the last few years.

When the Vikes signed Winfield last year he received the same type of roster bonus as TO. When I saw how that worked, I thought it was great. He got most of his money up front....the team absorbs the big hit now and for the rest of the contract, his cap number will not be a problem for them and as long as he is performing, there is no reason to cut him. Even if he starts to lose a step near the end of his contract, he would have a cheap enough contract worth keeping a veteran around, he has less of a chance to find himself categorized as an overpriced veteran.

I think these roster bonus's were pretty new a year or so ago, when some teams started using them. I wouldn't be surprised to see more of them used in the future.

Edited by BillyBalata