[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

T.O's contract

Swiss Cheezhead

Well, for a while, I've suspected there was something in T.O.'s conract that the general public didn't know. It appears I was right:

I just became aware, via Kevin Kiley ESPN radio this morning, that T.O's bonus wasn't a signing bonus -- it was a reporting bonus, which apparently isn't as hard on the salary cap as a signing bonus (i.e. doesn't need to be spread evenly across all years of the contract). If that's accurate, it paints a VERY different picture of the Eagles Vs. T.O. situation.

If Philly paid T.O.'s $9 million as a reporting bonus last summer, then they could release him without the significant cap hit that would be the consequence of a signing bonus. Therefore, T.O. has even less job security than the average NFL player, which is about nill. Now, the entire sequence of events makes a LOT more sense...

Summer '04 -- T.O. coming off an injury-plagued season, in which he was also a bad teammate. Agent screws up free agency paperwork. T.O. gets traded to a place he doesn't want to go. He causes a stink. Savvy Eagles management realizes they can acquire a stud WR at a cheaper price. Savvy Eagles management swoops in while T.O. and reeling agent are desperate for a positive resolution. Savvy Eagles mgmt. protects themselves against another T.O. injury and/or locker room problems by making his bonus a reporting bonus and significantly reducing his 2nd-year salary. NFLPA warns T.O. that it's an irregular contract and that he shouldn't sign it. He ignores them and signs anyway.

'04 Season -- T.O. becomes a solid teammate and sets Philly regular-season franchise records for a WR.

'04 Playoffs -- T.O. dedicates himself to rigorous rehab and promises to play in the SuperBowl, analysts and doctors call it a nearly impossible proposition.

'05 SuperBowl -- T.O. is not medically cleared and is therefore not obligated by his contract to do so. Realizing he has ZERO job security AND that he will risk a career-ending injury, T.O. decides to put the TEAM FIRST and play in the SuperBowl anyway. Apparently, as he has proclaimed all along, he really cares about winning a title. He shocks the world by catching 9 passes for 122 yards, spectators agree he is the best player in an Eagles uniform on SB Sunday.

'05 Offseason -- Believing that he has proved himself to be a team player, T.O. decides the NFLPA was right -- his current contract is garbage. He wants to re-negotiate, so he hires the agent who has re-negotiated more contracts than all the others. REPORTERS find out he has fired his agent and begin to speculate (correctly) that T.O. is in the hunt for a new deal. They begin to badger T.O. about it. After criticism starts to stream toward T.O., he gives the reporters what they want and begins to say some stupid things. Savvy Philly mgmt. looks on with amusement as they watch PR continue to build in their favor.

Summer '05 -- T.O. and Rosenhaus attempt to make public understand that Philly can release T.O. after '05 season -- BEFORE awarding him another large bonus -- with virtually no penalty. Savvy Philly mgmt. claims that they have every intention to keep T.O. as long as he continues to be productive, but they refuse to put an incentive clause in his contract.

August '05 -- T.O. has handled the situation so poorly that fans and media are united against him. Savvy Philly mgmt. realizes that, with their fans are on their side, they have no reason to cave in to T.O.'s demands. T.O. eventually realizes this and reports to training camp.

Of course, there's always the "you signed the contract, you honor it" argument, which I won't even try to counter at this point. I just wanted to illustrate that it's pretty clear now that T.O.'s situation is NOT just like another player wanting more money for "outperforming" his contract.

Philly knew what they were doing and they still do. They hold the cards -- and the deck has been stacked against T.O. from the beginning.

Somebody has been drinking the Drew Rosenhaus koolaid... :D

911495[/snapback]

No, not at all. I'm not a fan of Rosenhaus, mostly because I think it's likely he speaks with clients while they're with other agents and because I think he makes his clients believe they WILL get a better contract, even if the chances aren't very good.

1) He hired a stupid agent that screwed up him becoming a FA in San Fran

2) He signed a BAD contract to get rescued from going to Balt.

Everyday people have to live with consequences from past bad decisions. So must TO. I think he would have had a better chance had he kept his mouth shut and hired a lessser agent who is has big of an a$$ as he is. Sorry no tears :D for TO.

Everyday people have to live with consequences from past bad decisions. So must TO.

911501[/snapback]

I completely agree with it. And T.O. is living with those consequences. I don't feel sorry for him either, really -- I just wanted to illustrate how Lurie and Banner aren't exactly patron saints in this situation either.

It's a very unique contract dispute, but most people have been opining like it's just like any other.

a contract is a binding legal document and they hold up in court everywhere but in the nfl it seems. when you sign one, it's your responsibility to know what they mean, know what they say, know your responsibilities and rewards. owens wasn't worried at the time because he didn't have to play for the ravens and he got a huge amount of money. did the eagles word it to help them out should thing not go well? yes. why not? can you blame them? the guy is a jerk. but it was TO's responsibility to change that before he signed that dotted line and he didn't.

Why are the Eagles the bad guys here????? Sounds to me like they were very smart given TO's track record. I think TO realized he was screwed if he held out this year and that is why he is in camp.

Don't know if it has been mentioned yet but Agents don't get paid UNTIL a NEW contract is signed. Which is why Rodenhaus is always trying to get his NEW clients NEW contracts.

Swiss....How do you feel about the Packers underpaying Walker???

Why are the Eagles the bad guys here?????  Sounds to me like they were very smart given TO's track record.  I think TO realized he was screwed if he held out this year and that is why he is in camp. 

Swiss....How do you feel about the Packers underpaying Walker???

911614[/snapback]

Well, I wouldn't call the Eagles "bad guys", but it would have been a cool thing to do if they rewarded a player for risking his own health and playing his ass off in the SuperBowl. Of course, they're certainly not obligated to do so. And, in terms of the contract, they were definitely "smart". I just don't like the Eagles pretending that they're just another team with another dissatisfied player. They know what's really going on and they probably considered giving T.O. more money -- until they realized the public's backlash allowed them to take the hard line.

As for Walker, I went into detail about it in this thread.

T.O. sucks. He is a great WR but i don't like his personality.

The only thing that keeps me from hating him is how he went to congress and try to get more money for research for whatever it was that was eating his grandmother up. He was almost human that day.

It's easier to back out of a contract in the NFL then it is to back out of a contract with your cell phone company.

I completely agree with it. And T.O. is living with those consequences. I don't feel sorry for him either, really -- I just wanted to illustrate how Lurie and Banner aren't exactly patron saints in this situation either.

It's a very unique contract dispute, but most people have been opining like it's just like any other.

911550[/snapback]

I've been saying this for months now, but the people on here are just not willing to understand T.O.'s situation. Since the majority on here are perfect saints, just like they portray Eagles management, I hope your future never has to be decided by a jury or else you'll be screwed. That's exactly why this situation bothers me so much. It's a fundamental problem with society.

His "situation" is that he signed a contract that paid him millions of dollars last year, and will pay him millions this year. Why is none of this ever T.O's fault? He gets run out of SF, forgets to file for free agency, worms his way out of a trade to Baltimore, signs a 7 year deal, wants to renegotiate. T.O. is an ASS, plain and simple.

Doesnt matter, if the Eagles dont pay, and drop him...

someone else will pay him the money.

WHO!? If you remember correctly only two teams even wanted him out of San Fran. Baltimore and Philly. Philly got him for an old beat up D lineman and a 3rd round pick. If other teams wanted him they surely could've offered more than Philly did. No one wants him now, especially after this latest off-season fiasco.

:D

Everyday people have to live with consequences from past bad decisions. So must TO. I think he would have had a better chance had he kept his mouth shut and hired a lessser agent who is has big of an a$$ as he is. Sorry no tears :D for TO.

911501[/snapback]

:D good info here

Well, for a while, I've suspected there was something in T.O.'s conract that the general public didn't know. It appears I was right:

Summer '04 -- T.O. coming off an injury-plagued season, in which he was also a bad teammate. Agent screws up free agency paperwork. T.O. gets traded to a place he doesn't want to go. He causes a stink. Savvy Eagles management realizes they can acquire a stud WR at a cheaper price. Savvy Eagles management swoops in while T.O. and reeling agent are desperate for a positive resolution. Savvy Eagles mgmt. protects themselves against another T.O. injury and/or locker room problems by making his bonus a reporting bonus and significantly reducing his 2nd-year salary. NFLPA warns T.O. that it's an irregular contract and that he shouldn't sign it. He ignores them and signs anyway.

'04 Season -- T.O. becomes a solid teammate and sets Philly regular-season franchise records for a WR.

911494[/snapback]

What else needs to be said?

Edited by piratesownninjas

I've been saying this for months now, but the people on here are just not willing to understand T.O.'s situation.  Since the majority on here are perfect saints, just like they portray Eagles management, I hope your future never has to be decided by a jury or else you'll be screwed.  That's exactly why this situation bothers me so much.  It's a fundamental problem with society.

911849[/snapback]

T.O. signed the contract. I'm tired of guys signing and then wanting a new one after one year. T.O. is in the situation he put himself in.

Not sure what a jury has to do with it.

Wether or not the Eagles can release him with or without a cap penalty shouldn't matter. T.O. still got the money right? I don't care if it was called a signing bonus or a rsoter bonus, money is money. The last time I check that was all this situation was about.

Doesnt matter, if the Eagles dont pay, and drop him...

someone else will pay him the money.

911594[/snapback]

Not for much longer. I believe he's got about one more shot and then Teams will start avoiding him like the plague he is.

His attitude, mouth, and personality, are going to run him out of the game. And that's a shame, because I believe he's one of the best WRs to play the game.

He got 9M up front last year, he got on the team he wanted, and he went to the SB. Shut up and play ball.

I can only think of one reason why he wants out of Philly, and it's the same reason he wanted to go to Philly, McNabb.

Maybe he's come to the conclusion that McNabb isn't the QB to lead them to a SB championship. Could be that McNabb actually did choke last year, I don't know, I wasn't in the huddle. But TO was, and so were a few others, and they all said the same thing.

That may of blown TO's faith in McNabb, and now he wants out. It's the same pattern he used in SF, become such a pain, it's worth more to a team to get rid of you then keep you. And that folks is saying a lot considering TO's talent.

Edited by JoJoTheWebToedBoy