[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hines Ward & Pittsburgh

kpholmes

I recently read an article at Fox Sports about how the Steelers were doomed to fail and didn't think much of it until I got to one of the later paragraphs discussing Hines Ward. From what they're saying he was promised a new contract, and got shafted so now he isn't comming to camp.

Was wondering if anyone had any news on what is going on with his contract, and what this is doing to his fantasy value? Where is he falling at this point with other WRs?

thanks,

kyle.

Well, there is no new gnews, with is bad gnews for us Steeler fans and those Hines Ward owners. I wake up everyday hoping to read that he has come to camp, but everyday, I :D when I see nothing. I still feel that this will get resolved, because if has to. Hines needs to come to camp. I understand his pride is hurting, but if he wants to get an extension or the very least become a Free Agent next year, he has to show up to camp and play football. Don't think I am blaming Hines for this. He deserves his money. I blame the Steelers mainly for waiting so Oprahing long to begin negotiations. From what I've heard the Steelers first offer was low, but not far off from what Hines is looking for. Right now, it is just stubborness from both parties. The Steelers say that they don't negotiate with a player who is not in camp, and Hines says that he was promised something by the organization and will not come to camp. Someone has to be the bigger man, or team, and step up and realize how much they need one another. The Steelers cannot get to where they want to get to without Hines, and Hines can't accomplish anything sitting at home. I still feel something will get done and Hines will be on the team on opening day, but each day that goes by makes me worry a little bit more. Hines Ward is the heart of this team, and they need to get this done. STOP PLAYING THE PRIDE GAME AND GET IT DONE ! :D

There's a surprise.  :D  Imagine if your team had good management.  :D

923219[/snapback]

Yeah, if we had good team management, we might have some success. Success like being the winningest team in the AFC in the last 15 years. Success like owning both the AFC North and former AFC Central for years. Any outsider will tell you that the Steelers certainly have dominated those divisions for years. Success like going 15-1 last year.

Here Trots, I'll save you your predictable comeback:

"Yeah, how many Super Bowls have they won during that time ? "

Have fun in your battle for 2nd place Trots. It should be a good one, but I think Cincy will take it. Don't hurt your neck looking up at the Steelers in the standings.

Yeah, if we had good team management, we might have some success.  Success like being the winningest team in the AFC in the last 15 years.  Success like owning both the AFC North and former AFC Central for years.  Any outsider will tell you that the Steelers certainly have dominated those divisions for years.  Success like going 15-1 last year. 

Here Trots, I'll save you your predictable comeback:

"Yeah, how many Super Bowls have they won during that time ? "

Have fun in your battle for 2nd place Trots.  It should be a good one, but I think Cincy will take it.  Don't hurt your neck looking up at the Steelers in the standings.

923279[/snapback]

Isn't that the point? They are a decent team with poor management. If they would pay and keep their best players, you losers would not have to keep dreaming about the 70's. :yank: :yank: "Man, I love that Mean Joe Green."

Isn't that the point?  They are a decent team with poor management.  If they would pay and keep their best players,  you losers would not have to keep dreaming about the 70's. :yank: :yank: "Man, I love that Mean Joe Green."

923456[/snapback]

Another great comeback by Trots. A team doesn't stay as strong as the Steelers through the years with poor management. Please tell me what comparison the Ravens win over the Steelers ? Overall record - no, Super Bowl Championships - no, Head to Head wins - no, Division Titles - no. Seriously, almost all of the guys the Steelers let go were the right moves to make, whether they seemed like it at the time: Greg Lloyd, Levon Kirkland, Franco Harris, Bam Morris, Yancey Thigpen. There are a few that maybe they should have kept, but the money was very heavy: Rod Woodson, Chad Brown..... However, more times than not, they make the right move, which they will eventually do when they sign Hines to an extension. Anyone who can honestly say that the Steelers are not a well managed team by the Rooney's isn't worth arguing with.

Edited by Menudo

Jeeze by reading all the TO bashing I got the impression that NFL management was a bunch of good guys.  :D  What are you saying?

923472[/snapback]

Terrell Owens and Hines Ward should go into a book of antonyms.

Hines wanted a new contract, and the Steelers offered him one. He refused it. So much for the management made a promise and renigged on it argument. The Steelers have taken a stance that they wont deal with a holdout. Sounds to me like a deal could possibly be reached if Hines would come to camp.

Renegotiating now may be more difficult with the time he's missed. TO reported to camp to collect his reporting bonus, and hoping that Philly would see fit to to restructure (even though mangement has said all along "no new deal"). Maybe if Hines had taken the TO route (and reported) Steeler management would have coughed up the monies Ward was looking for. Their stance has never been "no new deal", just "no new deal without the player in camp". Does that sound unreasonable to you?

Terrell Owens and Hines Ward should go into a book of antonyms.

923490[/snapback]

Hey, we already let you get away with poetry - don't even think you're getting a free ride on the antonyms, synonyms and homonyms or any othe 'nym' out there. :D

Oh and Hines Ward was my first WR taken in 4983 (4th round), he better show up :D

This is silly.

Art Rooney or Mark Hart or whoever should call Ward and his agent and say, "Hines, we're committed to you and want you to retire a Steeler. Report to camp and we'll get a deal done to your liking before the month is out--that's my pledge. If you report and find out within a few days that I'm not telling the truth or that we are not negotiating in good faith, you can always walk out again--and I wouldn't blame you if you did. C'mon, Hines, the team needs you."

I bet if that conversation took place, Ward would be in camp tomorrow. Ward would get what he wants (at least a pledge to get what he wants), and the front office would save face since a new deal would not be worked until *after* Ward reported.

Unless Ward is holding out only because he dislikes two-a-days. :D

Isn't that the point?  They are a decent team with poor management.  If they would pay and keep their best players,  you losers would not have to keep dreaming about the 70's. :yank: :yank: "Man, I love that Mean Joe Green."

923456[/snapback]

Give it up Trots. Convincing a Steelers fan that winning the big game is all that counts is like trying to tell a 25 year old who drives a 1992 Honda Civic with $15,000 in add ons that he is still a tool even though the 15 year old girlies like him.

Hell, some Steeler fans only know of the Steeler's last Super Bowl win from legends handed down from their grandfathers. They know not the glory of winning the war, so they must point out a few victories from previous seasons. Sounds like the French Army to me.

Give it up Trots.  Convincing a Steelers fan that winning the big game is all that counts is like trying to tell a 25 year old who drives a 1992 Honda Civic with $15,000 in add ons that he is still a tool even though the 15 year old girlies like him. 

Hell, some Steeler fans only know of the Steeler's last Super Bowl win from legends handed down from their grandfathers.  They know not the glory of winning the war, so they must point out a few victories from previous seasons.  Sounds like the French Army to me.

924730[/snapback]

Wow, I'm astounded by the wit of the Ravens fans around here. :D

O.k. Winning the big one is all that counts, you're 3 behind.

Give it up Trots.  Convincing a Steelers fan that winning the big game is all that counts is like trying to tell a 25 year old who drives a 1992 Honda Civic with $15,000 in add ons that he is still a tool even though the 15 year old girlies like him. 

Hell, some Steeler fans only know of the Steeler's last Super Bowl win from legends handed down from their grandfathers.  They know not the glory of winning the war, so they must point out a few victories from previous seasons.  Sounds like the French Army to me.

924730[/snapback]

Again...your franchise is now headed up by Peyton Manning. You got Cleveland's because Modell got a raw deal at the Mistake by the Lake--your franchise history spans back to the running man. If Modell hadn't pulled stakes in Cleveland, you'd be rooting for the 'Skins.

Obviously, you have won a more recent Super Bowl. But four is more than one...and I have yet to hear of the Ravens dynasty. The Ravens win the SB with Trent Dilfer and dump him like a celibate prom date. Ah, yes...you are the picture of loyalty there in Baltymore. Sounds like a fan base trying to convince itself that they have a tradition.

Again...your franchise is now headed up by Peyton Manning. You got Cleveland's because Modell got a raw deal at the Mistake by the Lake--your franchise history spans back to the running man. If Modell hadn't pulled stakes in Cleveland, you'd be rooting for the 'Skins.

Obviously, you have won a more recent Super Bowl. But four is more than one...and I have yet to hear of the Ravens dynasty. The Ravens win the SB with Trent Dilfer and dump him like a celibate prom date. Ah, yes...you are the picture of loyalty there in Baltymore. Sounds like a fan base trying to convince itself that they have a tradition.

924841[/snapback]

I think that I need a translator. :D

924730[/snapback]

The Ravens have a long distinguished 10 year history of winning. :D

Wow, I'm astounded by the wit of the Ravens fans around here.  :D

O.k.  Winning the big one is all that counts, you're 3 behind.

924833[/snapback]

1958, 1959, SB V, SB XXXV

All 4 Baltimore.

Yeah, I know, you'll pull out that 'but your team moved' arguement. Won't buy it.

When you hear about the '58 championship, you hear about Baltimore over New York.

Either way, recent history is that we've gotten it done more than the Tin Girlies. Say what you want about us being around 10 years, losing a team in '83 or only getting a team by stealing one. It's been so long since the Steelers have done anything that all of that has happened since the last Steelers championship.

After getting our first three titles, we watched Irsay come in and ruin our team while the Steelers won 4 titles. Then the Colts where taken.

Since the Colts where taken, Baltimore had been passed over repeatedly by the NFL, had to watch the USFL and CFL and finally got a team. Then, we won an other Super Bowl. I guess watching us do so much since your team last did anything can be frustrating. If I weren't so happy to just have a team, I guess I'd understand how you can try to force yourself to be happy.

The Ravens still have active players from their last championship team. How long has it been since the last champion Steeler retired? Show me an active player with a Steelers Super Bowl ring and I'll shut my mouth.

Let's Look at some other numbers ...

Head to Head Record All Time

Steelers 12 - 6 vs Ravens All Time

Head to Head in Playoffs

Steelers 1 - 0 vs Ravens

Superbowl Championships

Steelers 4 Superbowls

Ravens 1 Superbowl

How do these numbers make the Ravens a better franchise??

The Ravens are a good franchise and I love the rivalry between the Steelers and Ravens. The head to head numbers show that the Steelers have gotten the best of the Ravens more often then not.

Edited by max

1958, 1959, SB V, SB XXXV

All 4 Baltimore.

Yeah, I know, you'll pull out that 'but your team moved' arguement.  Won't buy it.

When you hear about the '58 championship, you hear about Baltimore over New York.

Either way, recent history is that we've gotten it done more than the Tin Girlies.  Say what you want about us being around 10 years, losing a team in '83 or only getting a team by stealing one.  It's been so long since the Steelers have done anything that all of that has happened since the last Steelers championship.

After getting our first three titles, we watched Irsay come in and ruin our team while the Steelers won 4 titles.  Then the Colts where taken.

Since the Colts where taken, Baltimore had been passed over repeatedly by the NFL, had to watch the USFL and CFL and finally got a team.  Then, we won an other Super Bowl.  I guess watching us do so much since your team last did anything can be frustrating.  If I weren't so happy to just have a team, I guess I'd understand how you can try to force yourself to be happy. 

The Ravens still have active players from their last championship team.  How long has it been since the last champion Steeler retired?  Show me an active player with a Steelers Super Bowl ring and I'll shut my mouth.

924916[/snapback]

I freely admit that you have had a good team since getting one from Cleveland. But you can't call the titles that belong to the COLTS franchise titles that belong to the city of Baltimore and also count the one that the Ravens earned. It doesn't work that way. Cities don't play those games--clubs do. And yours left in a Mayflower truck and took your Colts titles with them. The RAVENS are not the new Colts--never were. The Colts franchise won those games, and not the city, and thus those titles go with them. Those banners are in the RCA Dome with the club that won them.

I did not say that Baltimore took the Cleveland team--that was the city of Cleveland's fault. They sh*t the bed and Baltimore benefited. Good for you.

There are no active SB Steelers on the field. But since 1995, the Steelers have been to the AFC title game a few more times than the Birds. You won a more recent Superbowl--I tip my hat for that--but do some stat checking and you'll find that the Black and Gold has been more successful overall that the Ravens.

On a personal note--it's good to have the Ravens to hate. The Browns suck.

Edited by Ruffian

I freely admit that you have had a good team since getting one from Cleveland. But you can't call the titles that belong to the COLTS franchise titles that belong to the city of Baltimore and also count the one that the Ravens earned. It doesn't work that way. Cities don't play those games--clubs do. And yours left in a Mayflower truck and took your Colts titles with them. The RAVENS are not the new Colts--never were. The Colts franchise won those games, and not the city, and thus those titles go with them. Those banners are in the RCA Dome with the club that won them.

I did not say that Baltimore took the Cleveland team--that was the city of Cleveland's fault. They sh*t the bed and Baltimore benefited. Good for you.

There are no active SB Steelers on the field. But since 1995, the Steelers have been to the AFC title game a few more times than the Birds. You won a more recent Superbowl--I tip my hat for that--but do some stat checking and you'll find that the Black and Gold has been more successful overall that the Ravens.

On a personal note--it's good to have the Ravens to hate. The Browns suck.

924956[/snapback]

Give up dude, I know the fight you are trying to take on. Everyone who is not a Steeler or Raven fan can tell you which of those two franchises is more successful. Let the Baltimore dreamers keep singing their same song.