[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bennett OUT for Week 1?

notamomo

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-v...ov=ap&type=lgns

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. (AP) -- Mike Tice says running back Michael Bennett's sore neck will keep him out of the Minnesota Vikings' season opener against Tampa Bay on Sept. 11.

Bennett, however, said he should be ready to go by next weekend's preseason finale.

On Monday, Tice said Bennett most likely would sit out Friday night's exhibition against the San Diego Chargers. Then, on Tuesday, he said Bennett was ``definitely not going to play'' and could miss the season opener against the Bucs.

Backup Mewelde Moore will start in Bennett's place Friday.

``Right now, Mike's out, so I'm moving forward, even for Tampa without Mike,'' Tice said after Tuesday morning's practice. ``I don't see Mike being anything but an outside shot for Tampa. I'm not a doctor, but I know anytime you sprain your neck or tweak your neck or have neck spasms or whatever he has, it's hard to put a guy back in there, especially a guy who has taken a lot of hits, unless he is confident in that neck.''

In the locker room after practice, Bennett seemed brimming with confidence that his neck was improving. Bennett did not rule out missing Friday night's game against San Diego, but said he definitely would be back for next week's preseason game at Seattle.

``If not this weekend, next week,'' Bennett insisted. ``I'm ready.''

Ready or not, Tice has the final say, and it has opened the door for Moore, who appears poised to open the season as the Vikings' primary back.

Moore was impressive in three starts as a rookie last season, filling in for the injured Bennett and suspended Onterrio Smith. He rushed for 339 yards and also had 198 yards receiving in those three games, all Vikings wins.

In two preseason games, Moore leads the team with 86 yards rushing and a 7.8-yard average.

``He has had a great preseason,'' Tice said. ``I am happy to see that he is getting this opportunity. Unfortunately for Mike, you know Mike's injury gave Mewelde this opportunity. But that's football. Injuries happen. We all know that.''

Just ask Moore, who had his banner rookie season cut short by a high ankle sprain. His slow recovery from the injury also didn't sit well with Tice, who thought Moore should have come back sooner.

How things have changed. Moore has impressed Tice with his intelligence, dedication and toughness this summer, particularly when it comes to pass blocking. A perfect example came Monday, when Moore stood up blitzing linebacker Keith Newman during practice.

``He really has worked hard on his pass protection, (evident) yesterday taking Keith Newman down the middle,'' Tice said. ``Not something he would have done three weeks ago. So he is a very diligent young man. He wants to do well for himself, his family and for his teammates and coaches.''

The Vikings selected Moore in the fourth round of last year's draft out of Tulane, where he became only the second player in NCAA history to have 4,000 yards rushing and 2,000 yards receiving in a career.

While trying to stay grounded through the ups and downs, Moore couldn't help but be excited for another chance to start.

``It's a blessing and it's also a thing where I get a chance to get in with the first team and continue to perfect my skills, work on my craft, and go out and produce and do things to help the team win,'' Moore said.

His success last year has those around him feeling at ease.

``He proved himself last year. He's a good running back,'' center Cory Withrow said. ``When we needed him to step up last year, he did. And we're looking for him to do the same this year.''

How long he will fill that starting role is uncertain. While Tice seems to be taking a cautious approach with Bennett, who has had his share of injuries over the last two years, Bennett seems raring to go.

``My neck's doing good,'' Bennett said. ``The motion is there. The pain is pretty much wearing away. I want to be safe about it, but I'm ready.

What a bunch of Morans

Look at the 1st two paragraphs. He be out for the opener, but ready to go for next weeks games. :D

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. (AP) -- Mike Tice says running back Michael Bennett's sore neck will keep him out of the Minnesota Vikings' season opener against Tampa Bay on Sept. 11.

Bennett, however, said he should be ready to go by next weekend's preseason finale.

Last update: August 23, 2005 at 5:31 AM

Bennett hurt; Moore will start Friday

Judd Zulgad, Star Tribune

August 23, 2005 VIKE0823.NOTES

A sprained neck could keep Vikings running back Michael Bennett out of Friday's preseason game against San Diego. But even if Bennett plays, coach Mike Tice said backup Mewelde Moore will get the start.

Bennett, who has missed 13 regular-season games over the past two seasons because of injury, hurt his neck while blocking in the first quarter of Friday's exhibition loss to the New York Jets. He was sent for a magnetic resonance imaging test Monday and did not participate in either practice.

"He could come around tomorrow and he could play this week," Tice said. "If it's sore we obviously are not going to risk it. So we won't play him until [the final preseason game against] Seattle. Personally, I don't foresee him playing this week."

This might be Tice's out. He has wanted to give Bennett every chance, and he has wanted to avoid any controversy over who will start, but obviously a lot of people have been calling for Moore to move up in the depth chart. This gives Tice the chance to allow Moore to start without looking like he is demoting Bennett.

More ridiculous coach speak from the StraANGest coach in the NFL. I don't know who is worse for Fantasy Fooball, Tice or Shanahan? I like Moore and I think he should be the starter. However with that said I don't think MM can carry a full NFL load for an entire season. Not enough bulk on the little guy. MM is the sexy pick but I see a RBBC situation brewing. Moore getting carries and catches, Bennet getting some carries and don't forget ole Mo Williams and Culp, will be stealing goal line carries. Just a messy situation waiting to happen. I am staying away from the whole thing.

I agree with Savage Beatings. This is Tice's out, too much pressure from his other coaches that Mewelde should be the man. Well, here we go again. Watched Mewelde last year and seen Bennett. Mewelde is a great middle round pick. Don't forget he's great coming out of the backfield also. :D

Mewelde Moore: Could Supplant Bennett for Job

RotoWire.com Staff - RotoWire.com

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Update: With Michael Bennett likely to miss Week 1, Moore is poised to open the season as Minnesota's starting tailback.

Recommendation: What's interesting here is that Bennett claims to be fine, while coach Mike Tice claims that Bennett's not ready. It almost seems to us as if Tice is trying to transfer the job to Moore without overtly demoting Bennett, instead using the injury as an excuse. While Bennett is the better athlete, Moore has a better feel for the game and is a better receiver out of the backfield.

FYI, dug this added piece of info up about Bennett's injury:

"[bennett] suffered what athletic trainer Chuck Barta called an annular tear of the ligament surrounding a disk in his neck during Friday's preseason game against the New York Jets. Barta said the injury typically sidelines a player for two or three weeks."

Edited by yo mama

Again from KFAN this morning...

After Wednesday's meeting with Bennett, coach Tice has recommitted himself to using Bennett as the Vikings starting RB. Sounds like Tice is probably going to start him Week 1 against Tampa now too. Stay away from this people. Stay the F away.