[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

TWO broken thums?

CaptainHook

Now is not the time for Jon Jansen to take up the piano. Video games are out, too, although he's never been much for those anyway.

Every movie he sees gets "two thumbs up." As for hitchhiking? "It's automatic," he said with a smile as he raised one of his casts.

The jokes could go on and on. These days, Jansen is all thumbs -- all broken thumbs, that is. The Washington Redskins right tackle is sporting a big white cast on each arm after breaking his left thumb in a practice last week and his right one in the team's win over the Chicago Bears.

"I've never heard of linemen having two broken thumbs," said 42-year-old guard Ray Brown, a 20-year veteran and the oldest lineman in the league. "I've heard of a broken thumb and maybe a broken finger somewhere. Aw, that's tough."

Trainer Bubba Tyer hasn't seen anything like it, either, and he's been with the team for a third of a century. Nevertheless, Jansen expects to play Sept. 19 when the Redskins face the Dallas Cowboys, protecting the blind side of left-handed quarterback Mark Brunell.

"Obviously, I would rather play with 10 good fingers," Jansen said. "But four on each hand will do."

Jansen said he was fine playing with one cast Sept. 11, and he stayed in the game after breaking the second thumb in the fourth quarter. Fortunately, his casts don't cover his other fingers, so he can still clutch and grab, although he certainly wouldn't be able to play if he were anything other than a lineman or a kicker.

"It's a little bit cumbersome," he said as he looked down at his hands after a Sept. 14 practice. "But it's what I've got to deal with. It's Dallas, Monday night, so it doesn't much matter."

The coaches aren't about to give Jansen a rest. Not only is he too valuable, he just wouldn't allow it. Jansen missed only one snap in his first five NFL seasons before sitting out last season with a ruptured Achilles' tendon.

"This isn't even a setback for him," assistant coach Joe Bugel said. "It's not going to bother him. Even at practice today, he's a real warrior."

Jansen wears gloves when he's on the field, so he has to put those on before he's fitted for the bigger casts he wears for practices and games. He will have to make some subtle changes to his blocking technique.

"The big thing is probably not being able to use the palm of his hand, the flat surface where you slide along the surface of the shoulder pads," Brown said. "But it's to his advantage on the run game -- he can throw his punches."

At least Jansen won't get called for holding this week. Well, probably not.

"I've seen stranger things," Jansen said. "But I would have a good argument."

link[/url

I'm sure Dan Schneider has the cash to have one installed at the Redskins training facility and Jansen's home.

I cannot imagine what a pain having TWO BROKEN THUMBS is.  Like was said, you wouldn't be able to do anything.

990856[/snapback]

He could dance like Elayne did on those Seinfeld episodes...and that's about it.

I'm sure Dan Schneider has the cash to have one installed at the Redskins training facility and Jansen's home.

I cannot imagine what a pain having TWO BROKEN THUMBS is.  Like was said, you wouldn't be able to do anything.

990856[/snapback]

How can he grab anything? Seems to me he will have two stubs hanging out there trying to do his job...how effective will that be???