[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ced Ben outlook - now and beyond

Glabra

With Thomas Jones having 3 solid outings, what's the thinking in Chi-Town with regards to Benson (coaches, media, general public)? Does he get a shot within a few weeks if the Bears keep losing? Or is TJones well-entrenched for a while? How has Benson looked when he's had a chance to play?

Thanks..

I'm not a Chicago homer, and I don't own either guy, but if I was a Benson owner I'd be quite concerned that he didn't get a single touch today as Jones performed very well again. Wasn't Benson's role was supposed to be increasing as the season went on, not reducing?

I'm not a Chicago homer, and I don't own either guy, but if I was a Benson owner I'd be quite concerned that he didn't get a single touch today as Jones performed very well again.  Wasn't Benson's role was supposed to be increasing as the season went on, not reducing?

1021206[/snapback]

i cant complain :D

I can only guess that CHI feels they can actually compete in that horrible division this year ... and TJ gives them the best performance right now, since he can run, block & catch, while CBen still can't pass block well enough. Maybe CBen just does not provide enough of an upgrade running the ball.

The coaching staff had already said that they did not expect to use Benson much today since he is never in any passing packages and so far he has only been used in games that are already decided in favor of the Bears. I was surprised he never had a single play, but the word was already given that he wouldn't likely play much with the high-scoring Bengals coming to town.

That all said, when will Benson get more carries? Well Thomas has had two good games while at home but he only had 31 yards on 15 carries in WAS in week one. Since the offensive problem is mostly passing, I imagine they are not in a big hurry to get Benson into the game since rushing is the only thing they have done with any success. With a bye this week, the Bears go to CLE next. By then, Benson will have had a month in the system practicing and should get at least some use in more packages. If the Bears were just a better rushing game away from being a good team, then I could see them rushing him in more but being able to block and keep Orton from getting killed is probably just as important as being able to run. Until Benson gets enough playing time to clearly show he is better than TJ, there will be no rush to bring him along any faster.

You know the answer to that question.

It's the Fubar'd front office.

1021328[/snapback]

Yeah, I know. If I was Benson, I'd be thinking what a bunch of mugs the Bears are. Having drafted someone they didn't need, they pay him top dollar to park his ass on the bench.

Brilliant. :D

Yep, younger players need to look at Phillip Rivers and Benson and see that holding out can really put your career on hold.

1022082[/snapback]

But do they care? As long as vast quantities of cash are flowing in to their bank accounts, every minute spent on the bench is another minute that very large and violent men aren't beating the bejesus out of them.

But do they care?  As long as vast quantities of cash are flowing in to their bank accounts, every minute spent on the bench is another minute that very large and violent men aren't beating the bejesus out of them.

1022104[/snapback]

But performing NOW means the possibility of even bigger paychecks in the future...