[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hockey fans!

Bier Meister

:D That didn't take long.

1046323[/snapback]

You ain't kidding--the Wings scored their first goal less than a minute and half into the game.

It's going to be a long long season--probably will break the Blues 2+ decade streak of making the playoffs. :D

i'll have directv in about 2 weeks.  debating whether to get the hockey package or not.  i may drop a few hints since my b-day is coming up as well.. :D

1046064[/snapback]

think i'm gonna have to buy it. :D

can anyone explain to me why OLN doesn't have 2 games on every f*ckin night? when espn had the games, you could kinda understand why they'd only show a few games a week, what with their obligations to show college football, college basketball, WNBA, NBA, stump the schwab, yada yada yada. on OLN right now is a f*ckin show about cod fishing. :D dumb bassturds. if they think this bullchit pulls in better ratings than the NHL why did they fork out the dough for the rights?

Edited by Azazello1313

The contract they paid for didn't give them the rights to all games every night...  If they wanted two games every night, I imagine that would have cost them quite a bit more.

1052379[/snapback]

that doesn't make sense either. maybe what you're saying is true, it just doesn't compute to me. i know the contract calls for between 58 and 78 games to be televised, but i wouldn't automatically assume that it would be the NHL wanting a lower number and comcast wanting a higher number. the NHL should want as many of its games on TV as possible (subject to local blackouts and all that, so as not ot dent their ticket sales or hurt local broadcast partners). in fact, part of the deal was that OLN was obligated to put the 24-hour NHL network on its cable systems within a couple years. also, OLN is required to broadcast 2 games per week. all of which again underscores the point that the NHL should want and does want MORE exposure, not less.

I realize that... but it's the same deal with every sport. Fox has baseball. They have their Saturday game of the week, and then playoffs.

They don't show 4 games on Saturday, and games every day. They can't, it's not in the contract.

As you said, the deal is for 58 and 78 games. So how are they going to show 2 games every night? A contract for more games would have probably cost more money, no?

I realize that... but it's the same deal with every sport.  Fox has baseball.  They have their Saturday game of the week, and then playoffs.

They don't show 4 games on Saturday, and games every day.  They can't, it's not in the contract.

As you said, the deal is for 58 and 78 games.  So how are they going to show 2 games every night?  A contract for more games would have probably cost more money, no?

1054453[/snapback]

Just because they charge more doesn't mean it will be bought. OLN was probably topped out at some dollar value. The NHL said we will only give you 78 games for that number instead of saying"Please show 2 games everynight because we need fans!"

Greed always wins, that's why we lost last season.

Just because they charge more doesn't mean it will be bought.  OLN was probably topped out at some dollar value.  The NHL said we will only give you 78 games for that number instead of saying"Please show 2 games everynight because we need fans!"

Greed always wins, that's why we lost last season.

1057467[/snapback]

My point exactly.

1057578[/snapback]

i think you both are making an assumption that doesn't really hold up. namely, that airing more games would cost comcast more dough. as i stated above, as long as it doesn't conflict with their deals with local channels, it's in the NHL's interest to have MORE games on the air, not less. so if anything, the NHL should be willing to take a little LESS to have more games on the tube. if comcast went to the league tomorrow and said, hey we'd really like to show a few more games, i can't think of any reason why the league wouldn't say, please, by all means. unless the NHL gets some massive cut from the sales of the cable/satellite hockey packages...and if that's what's holding both sides back from airing more games on OLN, i'd say it's incredibly short-sighted.

Then why would the NHL make OLN buy the rights at all? Just give them away.

I'm sure ESPN would have shown plenty of games if didn't cost anything.

They made a deal, here's what the "package" is. ESPN didn't want to pay for it, OLN made an offer, and the NHL took it. Done deal.

OLN can't say "We'd like to show more games, please"... without paying for them. And they probably can't choose to show less games, if they felt like it (for whatever reason).

There is a contract, this much money for this many games.

I'm not sure I understand what you don't understand...

If everything is working out well in a few months, and they wanted to show more games, and the NHL didn't mind, maybe it could happen... but I don't know if it could.

If they show a Rangers game, and then MSG cable couldn't show it, then it probably wouldn't work. I'm sure the cable channels have their deals with the teams... $XX dollars for XX games.

Then why would the NHL make OLN buy the rights at all?  Just give them away.

I'm sure ESPN would have shown plenty of games if didn't cost anything.

They made a deal, here's what the "package" is.  ESPN didn't want to pay for it, OLN made an offer, and the NHL took it.  Done deal.

OLN can't say "We'd like to show more games, please"... without paying for them.  And they probably can't choose to show less games, if they felt like it (for whatever reason).

There is a contract, this much money for this many games. 

I'm not sure I understand what you don't understand...

If everything is working out well in a few months, and they wanted to show more games, and the NHL didn't mind, maybe it could happen... but I don't know if it could.

If they show a Rangers game, and then MSG cable couldn't show it, then it probably wouldn't work.  I'm sure the cable channels have their deals with the teams...  $XX dollars for XX games.

1057967[/snapback]

the NHL sells the rights to broadcast their games nationally. comcast offered more than espn was willing to, so they get the deal. obviously, the right to broadcast their games is worth a fairly hefty sum, so of course the NHL isn't going to give that away. that would be stupid. but once they've got a deal and its exclusive and they're not trying to sell other games to another network or anything like that, at that point it's in the league's interest to get more exposure on the network they made the deal with. the league doesn't have anything else to sell (except game tickets and maybe the NHL satellite packages that might be marginally impacted by showing more games on OLN), so holding games back from OLN doesn't do them much good, if any, and even that has to be weighed against the lost exposure. which leads me to believe the two-games-a-week thing is more OLN's choice than anything else. i see the 58-78 games as more of a minimum as far as the league is concerned than a maximum. OLN probably just wanted to do it on the cheap the first year, not have to hire more tv crews, etc. which i am criticizing, because this is their chance to sort of enter the cable sports big time (which is why they outbid espn in the first place) and it seems to me personally like they're going at it pretty half-assed. did you see their studio set, for crying out loud? :D