[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vikes fans

pedroz13

Who else is pumped about Tice getting fired? I don't live in MN right now, so I can't say I have any info on the subject, please chime in if you do. I mean....it has to happen right? I'm like a kid on Christmas waiting for the 'Breaking News: Mike Tice Fired' headline on ESPN News. Good lord that press conference is going to be hilarious.

"So.....do you have any idea why the Vikings decided to end ties with you?"

"Well, I can't say I have any idea how I ended up with the HC position in the first place to be honest. But I think maybe the ticket scalping incident, lack of discipline, wasting timeouts, stupid penalties, playing sloppy on the road, having unmotivated players, wasting all the team's talent.....the 'boat incident' probably didn't help my cause either. But no...I really am not sure."

I don't know. I've been a Tice apologist for a long time. I think he's a decent guy and everything but I think he's over his head at HC. Of course he has his weaknesses, but he also has his strengths and the players love him, but maybe they love him just a bit too much. It's easy for the fans to get impatient and want a new face, system, hope etc. There's a large part of myself that feels the same way. At the same time I realize that a new coaching staff can often times do more harm than good. Look at the Vikes in 1998 when they went 15-1 and set numerous records. That was the product of a system that had been in place for a long time and players that had been used to that system for a long time. Continuity is HUGH in the NFL and generally translates into production if you have enough talent on the field.

With all that said, I do think it's time for a change. A new owner should put his own stamp on the team and clean house, from GM to all coaches, to personnel. If that means goodbye Culpepper, well goodbye Culpepper. A part of me would hate to lose such a clearly talented football player but who knows if he'll ever play the same. If Tice goes, I hope all the coaches go. Cottrell has done some good things on defense but then again some inconsistent results were had as well.

So while I'm excited about a new start for the Vikings (hopefully with a new stadium soon), I'm also nervous about who will be brought in to take over. I've seen rumors that Zygi may tap his brother for GM. I'd hope that position would be run by a football guy, not nepotism. And there are candidates out there that do not excite me at all for HC. Jim Fassel's name I've heard because of his NY ties (Zygi a HUGH Giants fan). Fassel does not impress me. I remember a couple years back hearing how the team basically gave up on him. What kind of coach does that happen to?

Not even sure who I'd want at this point. Maybe Greg Williams? Though I don't know much about the man. I've also seen Viking fans calling for Kirk Ferentz from Iowa, but I don't follow college ball so I know nothing about him either.

Not even sure who I'd want at this point. Maybe Greg Williams? Though I don't know much about the man. I've also seen Viking fans calling for Kirk Ferentz from Iowa, but I don't follow college ball so I know nothing about him either.

1239250[/snapback]

I hear what you are saying....but enough is enough. He didn't deserve the job in the first place. Red just didn't want to pay a HC because he had money tied up in 'superstars' (Moss and Daunte) who put butts in seats (head coaches don't). So he got a chance he didn't deserve and he did a piss poor job. They made the playoffs last year at 8-8...basically backing their way into the playoffs. He has done NOTHING in the last 3 years to make me think he is worthy of being the teem's HC so I can't wait to see him leave.

Who else is pumped about Tice getting fired?  I don't live in MN right now, so I can't say I have any info on the subject, please chime in if you do.  I mean....it has to happen right?  I'm like a kid on Christmas waiting for the 'Breaking News: Mike Tice Fired' headline on ESPN News.  Good lord that press conference is going to be hilarious.

"So.....do you have any idea why the Vikings decided to end ties with you?"

"Well, I can't say I have any idea how I ended up with the HC position in the first place to be honest.  But I think maybe the ticket scalping incident, lack of discipline, wasting timeouts, stupid penalties, playing sloppy on the road, having unmotivated players, wasting all the team's talent.....the 'boat incident' probably didn't help my cause either.  But no...I really am not sure."

1239243[/snapback]

I hear ya screamin pedroz. I have been hoping to be rid of this clown since last year. I believe its gotta happen, but it makes me nervous that the six game winning streak has clouded some peoples judgement. I am continually baffled by the amount of broadcasters, etc who give him credit for the streak like he did something special to make it happen. How is it that these people, who are paid for their analysis, are unable to see that Tice was a HUGH part of why they were so bad early in the year? And not to take anything away from the streak, but the reality is this team finally got to playing somewhat to its potential and beat some teams it should beat. Nothing spectacular there, IMO.

My New Year's toast will be to the team canning Tice and cutting loose some of the dead weight that is dragging it down. :D

Once ol Mike is history, who would you like to see get the job? :D

My New Year's toast will be to the team canning Tice and cutting loose some of the dead weight that is dragging it down. :D

1239257[/snapback]

EXACTLY....it might not all be his fault (the last 3 years of MN's misery), but since he is not part of the solution, by default he is part of the problem. I did love beating GB in their first ever playoff meeting....but MN had no business being in the playoffs last year. The 6 game winning streak was great while it lasted this year, but they only beat ONE team with a winning record during that stretch (NYG, and that was a fluke win without any offensive TDs from MN). Tice's time has to be done.

did this steak start when the team brought in all these team analysts like Fazio?

1239266[/snapback]

That fact alone (that they had to bring in two retired coaches to help) should be enough to fire him in my opinion! He had this team so completely unprepared to begin the season that it was pathetic. He could not make the tough decisions in a timely enough manner to let things shake out properly (deciding on a kicker, decising on a RB, deciding on his offensive linemen).

Tice's one decent move was bringing in Koren Robinson. Otherwise he has consistently come up short of expectations for the last 4 years. That's plenty of time. Goodbye!

:D Not me. Mike Tice forever.

1239558[/snapback]

Careful what you wish for, he has beat you 3 straight :D

1239972[/snapback]

Just think if the Packers fire Sherman and replace him with Tice...

:D

Edited by CaP'N GRuNGe