[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I don't get this

Marauders11

I am surprised that they Bengals & Patriots both aren't likely to play all of their starters this week because all that is at stake is the 3 vs. 4 seed in the playoffs.

Imagine if Cincy tanks this week and NE gets the #3 seed- then Cincy ends up facing NE in the AFC Championship in Foxboro rather than Ohio- to me that is incentive enough to play my regulars- ANY potential advantage for the playoff push should be something worth fighting for don't you think? Maybe this scenario isn't very likely but you never know- strange things can happen....besides if you are Cincy especially don't you have to approach it like you ARE going to win in the playoffs so you should prepare mentally to knock off the Colts and potentially host a championship game.

someone explain this "nothing to play for" logic to me please.

I agree. You should play to be the highest seed possible.

However, last year, when the Colts played the Chargers, it basically decided the #3 and #4 seeds. The Colts won, earned the #3, and guaranteed themselves not facing the #1 seed until the AFC Championships. Unfortunately, Pittsburgh was the #1. New England was the #2. Would the Colts have advanced to the AFC Championship if they had played Pittsburgh in the second round? I think so.

to me it's all about home field- if there is any possibility of hosting the Championship game I'd go for it if I were a coach-seems like a no brainer to me- I saw a quote from Brady today where he mentioned the fact that to get to the Super Bowl you have to play good teams throughout regardless so trying to win or lose this week to basically choose your match-ups is pointless-

it's not pointless to maybe get yourself a home match-up against one of those good teams though so the #3 seed could be very important.

Everything I've read says Cincy starters will play and play to win. Rudi Johnson is playing to break 1500 yards. TJ Houshamnzadeh is playing for 1000 yards. Marvin Lewis has some gamesmanship with Palmer refusing to name a starter, but Carson is taking the 1st team reps every practice so what does that say?

I'm starting all my Bengals with confidence.

The nothing to play for stuff is coming out of journalists and talking heads IMO. I haven't heard of a single player quoted to that effect. The #3 seed and possibility of playing the AFC Championship at home is something worth having.

Edited by The Irish Doggy

Everything I've read says Cincy starters will play and play to win.  Rudi Johnson is playing to break 1500 yards.  TJ Houshamnzadeh is playing for 1000 yards.  Marvin Lewis has some gamesmanship with Palmer refusing to name a starter, but Carson is taking the 1st team reps every practice so what does that say?

I'm starting all my Bengals with confidence.

The nothing to play for stuff is coming out of journalists and talking heads IMO.  I haven't heard of a single player quoted to that effect.  The #3 seed and possibility of playing the AFC Championship at home is something worth having.

1242127[/snapback]

Vegas has KC as a 7 point favorite- that might suggest something...

I dunno. As a Pats fan, I think I'd rather have the 4th seed than the 3rd. I don't like the idea of hosting either a resurgent Steelers or the Chiefs who came into Foxboro and beat us silly, when the alternative is a beat up Jags who may or may not have Leftwich, and who may or may not have a healthy running back. Given that the next round opponents are equally daunting (the Broncos in Denver or Indy at the dome), I think I'd say to hell with home field and take my chances with the 4th seed...

I haven't heard either Cincy or NE claim they have nothing to play for ... clearly home field advantage in round 2 is a prize worth having.

1242283[/snapback]

Neither of them can have home field advantage in the second round. I'm sure you meant third. Although, the #3 seed has never hosted the Championship game since the current play-off format was adopted in 1990.

It's only happened once since the NFL began the Wild Card format. In 1987 the third seeded Redskins did host the fifth seeded Vikings in the NFC Championship. But that was a strike year.

Edited by CaptainHook

Neither of them can have home field advantage in the second round.  I'm sure you meant third.  Although, the #3 seed has never hosted the Championship game since the current play-off format was adopted in 1990.

It's only happened once since the NFL began the Wild Card format.  In 1987 the third seeded Redskins did host the fifth seeded Vikings in the NFC Championship.  But that was a strike year.

1242291[/snapback]

Yes I stand corrected ... obviously the winners wildcard weekend go to the homes of the teams coming off they byes in week 2. HFA would be for week 3, assuming they made it that far and assuming the 1 and 2 seeds both lost.

I agree.  You should play to be the highest seed possible.

However, last year, when the Colts played the Chargers, it basically decided the #3 and #4 seeds.  The Colts won, earned the #3, and guaranteed themselves not facing the #1 seed until the AFC Championships.  Unfortunately, Pittsburgh was the #1.  New England was the #2.  Would the Colts have advanced to the AFC Championship if they had played Pittsburgh in the second round? I think so.

1242115[/snapback]

Pittsburgh is hot right now. The #3 will probably face them.