[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Haslett gone

Hitman

Does anyone else think he will be as highly sought after as they think? I think he did a good job initially with turning the attitude of the franchise around with his fiery personality, but that grew stale and after Mueller left, it sort of exposed him personnel wise. Plus, he was the worst EVER at challenging plays. :D

Edited by Hitman

I doubt that Vince Lombardi could have kept the team together this year.

In year's previous, his teams may have gotten off to slow game starts, but they always played hard for him down the stretch. He's the type of coach that players do like to play for. He's got their back.

As much as Haslett gets slammed around here, I do believe he'll get another chance as a Head Coach. I'm not saying he'll do better, but I think he's they type that will resurface within the next 5 years, if not sooner.

1245125[/snapback]

I don't think Haslett is anything better than competent - the situation with the Saints this year falls as much on Tagliabue and Benson's shoulders as anyone's, much more so than Haslett.

I don't think Haslett is anything better than competent - the situation with the Saints this year falls as much on Tagliabue and Benson's shoulders as anyone's, much more so than Haslett.

1245183[/snapback]

Haslett has appaling body language. He always looks as if he's being victimized and that translates itself to his players.

So far out of his depth.......etc, etc.

As much as Haslett gets slammed around here, I do believe he'll get another chance as a Head Coach. I'm not saying he'll do better, but I think he's they type that will resurface within the next 5 years, if not sooner.

1245125[/snapback]

Agreed. I don't think that any coach could've won it all with the Saints over the past few years (and especially this year). Not that I think Haslett's a stellar coach or anything, but he wasn't exactly in a position to succeed.

Haslett has appaling body language.  He always looks as if he's being victimized and that translates itself to his players. 

So far out of his depth.......etc, etc.

1245186[/snapback]

I'm not here to say anything about Haslett one way or the other, but prior to this season's disaster he was 43-39 with his worst season being 7-9 in '01. Even with this years disaster, he had 2 seasons each of winning, .500, and losing. Taking Parcells quote of "in the NFL, you are what you are" at face value, Haslett appears to be pretty much as close to an average coach as you might get.

Again, he's nobody I'd particularly want coaching MY favorite team, but I'd take him ahead of, oh, say, Dom Capers.

Word I'm hearing is that Haslett asked out of the contract and Benson allowed it but just called it a firing to the public. (It's been public knowledge he's wanted out for some time) As much as I could see Haz filling one of the many vacant NFL jobs I've got to wonder if he just wants to take a year off after all he's been thru in N.O.

Can someone explain to me why the priority news says : Don't expect him to be without a job for long as he'll now become one of the hotter coaching candidates in places with vacancies.'? All I know of this guy is that the team has underachieved for the last 4 years or whatever, why is he a hot commodity for HC job openings? I must be missing something about him......

From the ESPN article...

Haslett is expected to be a highly sought candidate in an exploding market. More respected leaguewide than within some quarters of his own organization, he likely will hear from multiple suitors as franchises begin the process of filling vacancies.

Even worse than Martz?

1245128[/snapback]

I'd be interested in seeing the stats on challenges. Martz was a freakin' moran! To say nothing of his use of timeouts. :doah: The Rams would appear to call timeouts/challenges at random neuron firings.

I'd be interested in seeing the stats on challenges.  Martz was a freakin' moran!  To say nothing of his use of timeouts.  :doah:  The Rams would appear to call timeouts/challenges at random neuron firings.

1245483[/snapback]

I've tried...google and everything I can think of...hard to find anything. :D

Can someone explain to me why the priority news says : Don't expect him to be without a job for long as he'll now become one of the hotter coaching candidates in places with vacancies.'?  All I know of this guy is that the team has underachieved for the last 4 years or whatever, why is he a hot commodity for HC job openings?  I must be missing something about him......

1245331[/snapback]

It has to do with what is available this year and how many coaching openings there will be. He will be hot because there aren't any hugh names. This coaching stuff is a self generating machine, it grows under it's own power exponetially. A guy gets mentioned once, then its a rumor, and then it is mentioned again on FOX, ESPN, CBS etc...then all of a sudden he is the guy.

Haslett has stated his dream job is to coach the Bills.

People are talking up Gregg Williams, I thought he was okay, not as bad as he was made out to be. But hardly someone to get really excited about. The media drives this stuff 98% and it takes on it own life. The media created the Gregg Williams can't coach thing in Buffalo. I think it is sickening. I work in the media and I hate what it does.

Just read this..

Coordinator Henderson targeted for Saints' job

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 BY DAVE HUTCHINSON Star-Ledger Staff HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. --

Jets defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson, whose fire-and-brimstone style sparked the unit the past two seasons, has emerged as a head coaching candidate with the Saints, The Star-Ledger learned last night.

The Saints (3-13) have already requested permission to speak with Henderson, but the Jets haven't responded, according to someone with knowledge of the situation. New Orleans fired head coach Jim Haslett yesterday.

Henderson, 48, has just finished his second season with the Jets.

Henderson, who is black, has repeatedly said his dream is to be a head coach in the NFL. However, he has made it clear he doesn't want to be interviewed just to fill the league's mandate that a team must interview a minority candidate when it has a head coach vacancy.