[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Directv

PEDRO

I recently bought a big screen HD television and then got the Directv HD receiver with DVR/Tivo. When I inquired about getting the local station's (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, etc.) HD signals they told me that I'd need a different receiver. The representative told me there was an error made when they manufactured the HD receivers with DVR/Tivo and that they wouldn't show the local HD feeds. He pretty much said I could get the HD receiver for free but I wouldn't be able to use the DVR/Tivo function if I wanted the local channels HD feeds and couldn't use the HD DVR/Tivo receiver I purchased.

Anyone else have this problem?

Can I receive the the HD signals of my local stations through an antenna?

:D :doah:

Having a superbowl party and I really want to be able to watch it on ABC in HD.

I recently bought a big screen HD television and then got the Directv HD receiver with DVR/Tivo.  When I inquired about getting the local station's (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, etc.) HD signals they told me that I'd need a different receiver.  The representative told me there was an error made when they manufactured the HD receivers with DVR/Tivo and that they wouldn't show the local HD feeds.  He pretty much said I could get the HD receiver for free but I wouldn't be able to use the DVR/Tivo function if I wanted the local channels HD feeds and couldn't use the HD DVR/Tivo receiver I purchased.

:D  :doah:

1248215[/snapback]

I purchased the Off-The-Air-Antenna that Directv offers. It was about $100 installed. It gets me the locals in HD.

I recently bought a big screen HD television and then got the Directv HD receiver with DVR/Tivo.  When I inquired about getting the local station's (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, etc.) HD signals they told me that I'd need a different receiver.  The representative told me there was an error made when they manufactured the HD receivers with DVR/Tivo and that they wouldn't show the local HD feeds.  He pretty much said I could get the HD receiver for free but I wouldn't be able to use the DVR/Tivo function if I wanted the local channels HD feeds and couldn't use the HD DVR/Tivo receiver I purchased.

:D  :doah:

1248215[/snapback]

Just had mine installed. I get local channels (FOX, ABC, NBC, CBS) just fine with the HD DVR receiver. However, it depends on which market you live in. I live in the LA market, and know that DirecTV has the HD locals on their satellite. I believe only 12 markets have this availability.

Like Menudo said, you might want to look in to purchasing an off-the-air-antenna (OTA). This will give you all your local stations in HD (including WB and UPN). I believe DirecTV is offering it at $150 with a $100 rebate.

Good site for information is HighDefForum

any issue you ever have with DTV, they make it a point to fix it and make you happy.

Hell that Miami/KC game that didn't get broadcasted because it was moved and DTV NFL total package couldn't show it, i complained about that and they gave me 6 months of Showtime for free.

Can't complain there.

I'm pretty close to the antenna (< 5 miles) so I can get all their HD feeds with a $30 Radio Shack antenna. This is assuming that you have the HD decoder either in the TV or that you have an external decoder (not the DirecTv one). Just having an HD ready TV isn't enough. You can go to http://www.antennaweb.org to find out exactly what type of antenna you need to get your local stations.

Or go cable and get the whole shooting match through one source.  :D

No Sunday Ticket though.

1249354[/snapback]

And horrible customer service

And horrible uptime. Even with rain fade on DirecTv I got more uptime than I did with cable.

And horrible customer service

And horrible uptime. Even with rain fade on DirecTv I got more uptime than I did with cable.

1249367[/snapback]

Mine is great. Virtually no downtime at all, ever. And the customer service is great too.

Similar quetion. I have just the plain old hughs HD receiver from Direct TV. The direct TV works great on every channel but ESPN-HD, and the locals. On ESPN-HD the sound is about a second behind the video. I've also noticed on the Ticket when I change between games i sometimes get a chattering noise instead of the audio, but if I change back and forth I get the video. My other problem is with the locals. Two of the local stations do a simulcatst in HD on another channel. Like CBS 19 will broadcast HD on 18. Problem is my reciever doesn't recognize channel 18. Anyone know what I need to do about this?

Pedro or Puddy,

Need more info. Where are you in relation to your markets OTA signals. If you're less than 25 miles, Take a shot at picking up the Zenith Silver Sensor antenna. Sears carries them. I'm 31 miles from Boston's antenna's and I pick up the OTA signals fine. My antenna is inside the house as well.

You will need to go into the HR10-250's setup function to scan for the stations.

Edited by georgemoe

Similar quetion.  I have just the plain old hughs HD receiver from Direct TV.  The direct TV works great on every channel but ESPN-HD, and the locals.  On ESPN-HD the sound is about a second behind the video.  I've also noticed on the Ticket when I change between games i sometimes get a chattering noise instead of the audio, but if I change back and forth I get the video.  My other problem is with the locals.  Two of the local stations do a simulcatst in HD on another channel.  Like CBS 19 will broadcast HD on 18.  Problem is my reciever doesn't recognize channel 18.  Anyone know what I need to do about this?

1249383[/snapback]

I think you have an H10 Perch. Sounds like it is bad. I'd call DirecTV to see if they can confirm that.

Pedro or Puddy,

Need more info. Where are you in relation to your markets OTA signals. If you're less than 25 miles, Take a shot at picking up the Zenith Silver Sensor antenna. Sears carries them. I'm 31 miles from Boston's antenna's and I pick up the OTA signals fine. My antenna is inside the house as well.

You will need to go into the HR10-250's setup function to scan for the stations.

1250661[/snapback]

I'm about 20 miles out. I'm giving the antenna a shot before I do anything else.

Thanks everyone.

I'm about 20 miles out.  I'm giving the antenna a shot before I do anything else.

Thanks everyone.

1251769[/snapback]

Hope it works out. For $40 it is worth a try before more expensive options. Remember to use the single coax input for ATSC on the back of the unit and not the sat coax inputs.

If you need to see what is available for signals in your area, go to antenna web. It will give a general direction to aim the antenna to capture most signals.

Hope it works out. For $40 it is worth a try before more expensive options. Remember to use the single coax input for ATSC on the back of the unit and not the sat coax inputs.

If you need to see what is available for signals in your area, go to antenna web. It will give a general direction to aim the antenna to capture most signals.

1252139[/snapback]

Picked up the antenna today at Sears and presto! HD local stations are coming in. I actually believe these off-air look better than the HBO, Discover, ESPN HD off the satellite feed.

Thanks to everyone who responded. :D

A special thanks to Georgemoe! :D:D

Picked up the antenna today at Sears and presto!  HD local stations are coming in.  I actually believe these off-air look better than the HBO, Discover, ESPN HD off the satellite feed. 

Thanks to everyone who responded.  :D

A special thanks to Georgemoe!  :D  :D

1253195[/snapback]

Excellent Pedro. Glad to have been some help. OTA is definately better than the usually compressed signals from either Comcast or DirecTV.

Add me to the list of people who picked up an off air antennea and now have locals in HD! $39 at Ultimate Electronics and problem solved! Hooray!

Similar quetion.  I have just the plain old hughs HD receiver from Direct TV.  The direct TV works great on every channel but ESPN-HD, and the locals.  On ESPN-HD the sound is about a second behind the video.  I've also noticed on the Ticket when I change between games i sometimes get a chattering noise instead of the audio, but if I change back and forth I get the video.  My other problem is with the locals.  Two of the local stations do a simulcatst in HD on another channel.  Like CBS 19 will broadcast HD on 18.  Problem is my reciever doesn't recognize channel 18.  Anyone know what I need to do about this?

1249383[/snapback]

I'm not totally familiar with the Hughes receiver. There are two things you might want to try:

1) For the changing channels and not getting audio problem, you may want to turn off and unplug your receiver for about 5 minutes to let it reset.

2) For the local channels your receiver doesn't recognize, you should be able to find an option in the menu to scan for off-air channels or something like that. Sometimes rescanning will pick up channels that "went away."

I'm not totally familiar with the Hughes receiver.  There are two things you might want to try:

1)  For the changing channels and not getting audio problem, you may want to turn off and unplug your receiver for about 5 minutes to let it reset.

2)  For the local channels your receiver doesn't recognize, you should be able to find an option in the menu to scan for off-air channels or something like that.  Sometimes rescanning will pick up channels that "went away."

1255017[/snapback]

I have the same Hughes receiver. I'm used to fixing its quirks. If those don't help, shoot me a PM.