[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How much $$$ would you need?

TDFFFreak

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering that I like my job and probably already live more comfortably than 99.99% of all other human beings who have ever existed, I'd say my number is $0.

1250922[/snapback]

Mine too! But other than the fact I own 168 acres of farmland and a 150K paid for home in town on an acre, I don't think about what if (yet). I'm just so darned thankful I am ALIVE NOW and not during the Depression or the Middle Ages or got myself born into some god-forsaken place like the Sudan or MIssissippi, lol. :D

Mine too!  But other than the fact I own 168 acres of farmland and a 150K paid for home in town on an acre, I don't think about what if (yet).  I'm just so darned thankful I am ALIVE NOW and not during the Depression or the Middle Ages or got myself born into some god-forsaken place like the Sudan or MIssissippi, lol.  :D

1251873[/snapback]

Fair enough

I live in in just about the most expensive part of the country. Just down the street from me probably is the richest part of the country. I'll need 5-10 mil just for a nice house. And about 100 mil on top of that to start my alternative energy foundation and scholarship funds.

I live in in just about the most expensive part of the country.  Just down the street from me probably is the richest part of the country.  I'll need 5-10 mil just for a nice house.  And about 100 mil on top of that to start my alternative energy foundation and scholarship funds.

1254253[/snapback]

You in San Fran or LA?

What is this pension you speak of?

The majority of folks under a certain age probably have no idea what an old fashioned pension is. 

Most of us have to actually contribute in order to have money to spend later in life :D

Edit:  :D's live on a shoe string budget so retirement planning is not important to them.

1251075[/snapback]

Yeah, I guess pensions are rare. I had to contribute 9% of my salary a yar and my employer had to match it. It wasn't a freebee.

Yeah, I guess pensions are rare.  I had to contribute 9% of my salary a yar and my employer had to match it.  It wasn't a freebee.

1256258[/snapback]

My job at Sherwin-Williams includes a pension plan, and I just started 2 1/2 years ago.

It's run more like a 401k, it's managed by Fidelity and I can actually log into the Fidelity site and manage both my 401k fund and my pension fund.

For the 401k, SW matches 100% of my contribution up to 6% of my salary.

For the pension, SW contributes 6% and I contribute nothing.

The amount of money that would allow me to pay off existing debts, and allow me to draw around $200,000 per year off a year in interest without the loss of principal.

1256248[/snapback]

Assuming your debts aren't too high, I think about 5 mil would do it for you.

Yeah, I guess pensions are rare.  I had to contribute 9% of my salary a yar and my employer had to match it.  It wasn't a freebee.

1256258[/snapback]

A guaranteed 100% return on the first years' money is not a freebee?

My job at Sherwin-Williams includes a pension plan, and I just started 2 1/2 years ago.

It's run more like a 401k, it's managed by Fidelity and I can actually log into the Fidelity site and manage both my 401k fund and my pension fund.

For the 401k, SW matches 100% of my contribution up to 6% of my salary.

For the pension, SW contributes 6% and I contribute nothing.

1256285[/snapback]

Wow. 12% of your total compensation goes into tax-advantaged accounts at no cost to you. That, sir, is a VERY nice benefit.

I think 6-7 million after taxes would do. That would allow me to pay off all my debt, take care of the family/in-laws, and live nice for the rest of my life.

But I could live nice of about $500K-$1M. That would pay off my debt with a little extra to upgrade the house. Yeah I would have to work, but I could do whatever just for some extra cash and benefits.