[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jets HC

Zooty

Pats D Coordinator. He has 1 year experience. If he wants that job, good luck to them both. I know it's a lot of money but the Jets are in a mess. By the time they get better, they'll be looking for a new coach. Rotten spot for a newbie coach, I think.

Pats D Coordinator. He has 1 year experience. If he wants that job, good luck to them both. I know it's a lot of money but the Jets are in a mess. By the time they get better, they'll be looking for a new coach. Rotten spot for a newbie coach, I think.

1266220[/snapback]

Now, Czar, don't let today's loss make you say silly things. He's been with Bellichick for what, 13 years now? Four as the DB coach, and 1 as DC. With all the injuries in NE's D backfield, he's been a miracle owrker back there, including teaching Troy Brown how to play defense. You just don't want to lose again this year.... fess up!

Long time no see, Rovers.

No, I think he's be stupid to take that job. The Jets are in disarray. Any coach in that position is doomed to be replaced in a few years when said team tires of him not being able to turn it around. This is not an ideal situation for a newly minted head coach.

Tough to pass on the opportunity though. He seems to be the best commodity out there right now as far as rookie HC's are concerned. The OC from DEN (Kubiak??)passed on a HC job a while back and has been in the HC waiting room now for years. Finally getting a chance with the Texans now though.

Long time no see, Rovers.

No, I think he's be stupid to take that job. The Jets are in disarray. Any coach in that position is doomed to be replaced in a few years when said team tires of him not being able to turn it around. This is not an ideal situation for a newly minted head coach.

1266318[/snapback]

How many 8-8 teams go looking for a new HC? I mean besides Minnesota? :D

Actually, I think the Jets situation is a good one for a young HC. The FO isn't stupid, they know the O line is old and has to be rebuilt, no game breaking WR's, no RB and no QB. He won't be expected to win next year. The defense is still young, and by 2007 the O line will not have a guy over 26 years old on it. He can expect a very cushy two year honeymoon. Then, the heat will get turned up. But, it the meantime, he'll be building a very young team that needs the sort of X's and O's basic training he can bring to the table.

He's a smart guy, too, graduating near the top of his class at Wesleyan, and knowing he had a hole in his resume having been under Belly all this time, a few years ago he started a charity football camp for inner city kids.... which also allowed him to bring in NFL coaches and players. So, he's been working on his coaching connections too, as he knew he'd have to build a staff of his own some day. Smart guy. Good HC? Hopefully, we'll find out.

Now, Czar, don't let today's loss make you say silly things. He's been with Bellichick for what, 13 years now? Four as the DB coach, and 1 as DC. With all the injuries in NE's D backfield, he's been a miracle owrker back there, including teaching Troy Brown how to play defense. You just don't want to lose again this year.... fess up!

1266310[/snapback]

I think it's 10 but he was a star assistant credited with getting the secondary to play so well against the Colts in years past. May be a tough place for him, but not as bad as Cincy was for M Lewis from what I remember.

From today's Boston Globe:

January 15, 2006

NICK CAFARDO

Eric Mangini was born to be a head coach. Forget his age (35 as of Thursday). He's wise beyond his years. Anyway, coaches have told me that you're never completely ready for your first job, whether you're 35 or 55. It's trial and error until you develop your system and organizational philosophy. Everything is in place for him to succeed with the Jets. One of his best friends is Jets capologist Mike Tannenbaum. He can hire Rob Ryan, whose contract expired in Oakland, as defensive coordinator. There's not much rebuilding to be done. Unless he's been promised the Patriots job in a year or two, taking this job would be a no-brainer.

MIKE REISS

Sure. Take Eagles head coach Andy Reid as an example. He's done OK for himself, but when he was hired in 1999, he had exactly zero years as an NFL coordinator on his resume. It's not so much holding the coordinator position as much as it is being an integral part of a successful system. Just as Reid was part of the successful Mike Holmgren coaching tree, Mangini has learned from one of the best coaches in the game, Bill Belichick. Ten years under Belichick has to count for something. While it won't necessarily make Mangini a great head coach, it certainly qualifies him as ready if the Jets offer him the job.

DAN SHAUGHNESSY

Why not Mangini? It's not as if he'll be following Amos Alonzo Stagg in Jetland. Other teams no doubt want to take a piece of the Patriots' magic; we saw it with Romeo Crennel and Charlie Weis getting head jobs last year. Same with Scott Pioli. None of us knows whether Mangini is ready, but a lot of guys who are supposed to be ready manage to fail in the NFL. This won't be the last time rivals try to harvest New England's brainpower. Think how much Patriots assistants would be in demand if they were allowed to speak.

RON BORGES

It is impossible to know how effective any coach will be once he ascends to a head position in the NFL. Mangini is considered one of the brightest young minds in coaching, but his lack of experience running a full operation would complicate the job's inherent difficulties. So it might well be a bit too soon for him to take that step. Having said that, it should be noted that in 1969 a 32-year-old guy with no head coaching experience in the NFL or at a major college program named John Madden became head coach of the Oakland Raiders. In his first year, he went 12-1-1 and won a division title and Coach of the Year honors.

JEROME SOLOMON

Without question, Eric Mangini isn't ready to be an NFL head coach. After one year leading a defense, he hasn't been in charge long enough to be ready to face the challenges a head coach does on a daily basis. Plus, he is such a good coach that taking his hands off, which is what will happen as a head coach, wouldn't be the best use of his skills. That said, ready or not, Mangini will do well as a head coach. It'll take him some time to get accustomed to the position, but he's a smart guy, he knows how to get effort from players, and he has had the best example of how to get it done by working next to Bill Belichick for so long.

Good info, ROvers.

I hope Mangini takes the job. He's as good a candidate as anyone else out there. And unlike Haslett, Tice, etc, he hasn't f'ed anything up yet. I'd offer him a 3 year deal worth $8 million or so plus a team option for an additional 2 years @ $3 million or so per year exercisable after the second year of the contract. By then, we should know if he's HC material and we could lock him in through 2010. I think that kind of offer would be enough to get him in without totally handing the franchise over to an unproven guy.

Then again, it's not my money, so it's pretty easy for me to dole it out.