[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Super Tecmo Appreciation Thread

Chavez

Being a bit of a stat :D I especially loved some of the stat oddities you could pull off - I scored 98 pts in a game, got Bo Jackson 2000 yds rushing on 80 carries, had Roger Craig go for 2000 yds rushing, 1000 yds receiving, took the 1990 Green Bay team (which was totally talent-poor aside from Sharpe) to 79 straight regular season wins and 4 out of 5 Tecmo Bowls, I had scrub Green Bay NT Bob Nelson accrue 95 sacks by one season....

....good times, good times. :D

Just talking about it on another thread. BEST GAME EVER!

Can a brother get a Chrisitan Okoye? Bo Jackson? Steve Deberg up, dawg!

LT... (Lawrence Taylor, of course)amazing. Too much fun.

Edited by Gdawg

It holds a special place in my heart. As a sophomore in college, I played daily. I lived in a 3-bedroom dorm suite, and 5 out of the 6 guys (including myself) played, as well as a few other guys we knew in the dorms. We all were pretty good, and came up with some patented moves (running circles around slow defenders, etc.) and came up with funny names for all. I used the Eagles (QB Eagles was the bomb) and was unstoppable. We played full seasons a few times over. Ah, how I miss it.

It holds a special place in my heart.  As a sophomore in college, I played daily.  I lived in a 3-bedroom dorm suite, and 5 out of the 6 guys (including myself) played, as well as a few other guys we knew in the dorms.  We all were pretty good, and came up with some patented moves (running circles around slow defenders, etc.) and came up with funny names for all.  I used the Eagles (QB Eagles was the bomb) and was unstoppable.  We played full seasons a few times over.  Ah, how I miss it.

1268348[/snapback]

QB EAGLES...I had forgotten that. Too funny, way better than Ron Mexico :D

Bo Jackson?

1268346[/snapback]

Bo Jackson was like.....I dunno man, it's like he was Neo in The Matrix on that game. Only RB that could beat the defense when they zeroed in on the running play.

I actually figured out how to run an option on the game. :D

...and though the memory is a bit foggy, I had one team allow about 250 rushing yards on the season. Would've been less, but the stupid game wouldn't subtract negative rushing plays from the total.

Bo Jackson was like.....I dunno man, it's like he was Neo in The Matrix on that game. Only RB that could beat the defense when they zeroed in on the running play.

1268356[/snapback]

No doubt! Not to mention they had Marcus Allen too :D

Option?!?! Youre kidding me! How?

You know, I do have Techmo sitting packed up in my closet, and a twelve pack in the fridge. Hmmm....

One of my favorite games period, on any system. AHh the players - Bo/Marcus combo, Okoye, Barry Sanders, Rice, Craig the enitre 49ers O was a joke. And the D- LT, remember Fulcher, Atwater- beasts and Deion's flat out speed- plus you always had those plays that you knew would work- my favortie teqam to play tho by far was Houston Oilers and the run and shoot- so fun, Moon flinging it all over- darn that game brings back some memories!!

Option?!?! Youre kidding me! How?

1268364[/snapback]

There was one pass play where your RB went to the top of the screen and sat there; if you rolled your QB out to that side, you could either pass it to him if he was open and your QB would block the pursuit, or if he was covered you could run your QB for at least a 5-6 yd gain. WR on that side also ran a "go" route so if he was uncovered you could hit him for a big gain.

I used it a lot in the last 2-3 weeks when the other teams got ridiculously faster than yours for no good reason. Was really effective vs the computer, not so much against a human.

I figured this would be a new topic since we were hijacking the other thread. 

What a geat game.  My roommates in college and I would play that about 100 times a day and keep track of stats through the time we lived there.  What a great f'n game.

1268368[/snapback]

We used to have tourneys all the time, you pick a team out of a hat and that's who you got. Everybody threw in $20, winner take all. Too much fun. :D

There was one pass play where your RB went to the top of the screen and sat there; if you rolled your QB out to that side, you could either pass it to him if he was open and your QB would block the pursuit, or if he was covered you could run your QB for at least a 5-6 yd gain. WR on that side also ran a "go" route so if he was uncovered you could hit him for a big gain.

I used it a lot in the last 2-3 weeks when the other teams got ridiculously faster than yours for no good reason. Was really effective vs the computer, not so much against a human.

1268375[/snapback]

Nice work, I will have to break it out and try that this week!

Yeah, the computer did get crazy fast towards the end of the season. It even started covering Rob Thomas :D Man was he SLOW.

Yeah, the computer did get crazy fast towards the end of the season. It even started covering Rob Thomas  :D Man was he SLOW.

1268379[/snapback]

My regular season 79 game win streak came to a halt when I had TWO fumbles returned 90+ yd for tds in week 16. My RB was pretty well about to stroll into the end zone both times. But that was OK, kept my team hungry for the playoffs. :D

Game cheated like nobody's business. I can't count how many times some player 3 yds away from my WR "intercepted" a pass and then took off like the freakin' Flash towards his end zone.

My regular season 79 game win streak came to a halt when I had TWO fumbles returned 90+ yd for tds in week 16. My RB was pretty well about to stroll into the end zone both times. But that was OK, kept my team hungry for the playoffs. :D

Game cheated like nobody's business. I can't count how many times some player 3 yds away from my WR "intercepted" a pass and then took off like the freakin' Flash towards his end zone.

1268384[/snapback]

As I said earlier, I won the SB with every team EXCEPT the Pats. Steve Grogan, God it looked like he was throwing a watermellon. Oh, and if you got tired of his antics, you could start Tony Eason :D

Lost in the SB twice with the Pats, on the very kind of crap you just described :D

Well the 93 version led to a lot of late nights for me.

My friend was always the Steelers.

I was the Giants. I would put together balanced pass/run drives.

Then he would throw 80yd TDs to friggin' Dwight "Hands of" Stone.

He'd always throw it from one end zone all the way to the other in the air and it would be a sliding catch. Frustrating as hell.

Last team with the ball always won.

Almost as good as Ten Yard Fight.  :D

1268435[/snapback]

LOL - sports video games have come a long way.

Double Dribble was a classic. I remember to make it challenging to beat the computer, I would start the game and leave the room get all 5 secs inbounds calls come back at halftime and make the comeback.

And an old game I had for my computer on a floppy where it was Bird and Dr. J one on one.

Plenty of Ten Yard Fight in my past as well.

1268356[/snapback]

Ooh ooh ooh!!!! I know!

1268375[/snapback]

That's it. It's "pass one" :D ... RBs split wide and QB drops back, you roll to the "top" of the screen and the RB follows you and stops. If your opponent has called a run, it's best to just keep the ball (especially if you use the Eagles :D) but you can also hit the pass button to toss (pass) it to the RB for a few extra yards. I'd have to verify this, but I switched a WR to my RB...