[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Legit question raised re: Dungy

msaint

From Bob Kravitz in today's Indy Star:

"There is the same reservation about dropping the hammer on Tony Dungy. He is the most decent man most of us have ever met in professional sports. And he has just come through the worst sort of family tragedy.

Still, it must be said: His teams have an undeniable history of pulling up lame in the playoffs. It happened in Tampa Bay. And in his five years here, it has happened four times. Not just losses, but virtual no-shows, marked by slow starts and a failure to make adjustments on the run.

This was why some of us -- OK, one of us -- had the temerity to wonder why the Colts were so anxious to drop a five-year extension in his lap earlier this season. How many times does this have to happen before the Colts reach the same conclusion as the Buccaneers? That for all he accomplishes, he might not be the man to take a team to the top."

Question: If you are Indianapolis, do you have legitimate concerns this morning about Dungy's ability to finish the job? Or do you give the man a pass because of everything that went on in his private life in recent weeks?

This delicate issue was raised on a site populated mostly by pro sports journalists, some of them well-known like Jason Whitlock, Michael Gee (Boston Globe), etc etc.. What are your thoughts?

Agreed, Dungy question's do need to be raised about Dungy's ability to get it done in the playoffs. Although I think he is given a pass this year because of the issues with his personal life and the timing of those issues. Although if it happens again next year then maybe Dungy is relieved of his duties.

Agreed, Dungy question's do need to be raised about Dungy's ability to get it done in the playoffs. Although I think he is given a pass this year because of the issues with his personal life and the timing of those issues. Although if it happens again next year then maybe Dungy is relieved of his duties.

1268775[/snapback]

I don't agree with the pass. Personal reasons or note if the powers that be see that he doesn't have it he doesn't have it. The way the Colts played yesterday compared to the whole year Dungy in my opinion is gone. They made no adjusments and played a horrible game. The talent on this team should have rolled just like during the regular season. There is a problem at the top.

I have no idea how a guy like Dungy could motivate a team for a big game. He seems too soft spoken, borderline meek. He may be a great mind, but, imo, to be a succesful HC you have to have the personality for it as well.

Edited by Hugh 0ne

:D  :D  :D

What a crock!  If Big Ben doesn't make his miraculous tackle, we're all saying the Colts will win it all this morning.

1268798[/snapback]

That was Cowher being dumb in my opinion. Had they taken a knee you wouldn't have this as a defense.

That was Cowher being dumb in my opinion.  Had they taken a knee you wouldn't have this as a defense.

1268802[/snapback]

Nevertheless, it's the result that counts. No-one would remember the circumstances because they don't matter. The fact is that if Harper goes the distance, the Colts win and everyone nods sagely saying how resilient they are to come back from so far behind, what great character blah blah blah.

Nevertheless, it's the result that counts.  No-one would remember the circumstances because they don't matter.  The fact is that if Harper goes the distance, the Colts win and everyone nods sagely saying how resilient they are to come back from so far behind, what great character blah blah blah.

1268807[/snapback]

I would be here this morning saying what a dumb assh Cowher is and thanking him, because the bet I made on the game would have been a push.

:D  :D  :D

What a crock!  If Big Ben doesn't make his miraculous tackle, we're all saying the Colts will win it all this morning thanks to Tagliabue calling the red referee bat phone and ordering the ref to call a clear INT an "incomplete pass because his knee was down when the ball popped out."

1268798[/snapback]

Fixed. :D

Edited by msaint

1268775[/snapback]

I agree with this post 100%.

However, as another poster wrote above, he may decide to leave anyway to be with his family for a year or so. I already have tremendous respect for Dungy, but I'd have even greater respect for him if he did this. Of course, I don't know anything about Tony Dungy's family life - maybe it's better for them if he stays in football. Whatever's best for them. As a father of two boys, I have to say it has got to be absolutely brutal to lose a child, especially to suicide. I can't imagine wanting to return to work - especially a job as demanding as NFL HC - immediately after going through something like that. But then again, those guys are cut from a different mold.

Nevertheless, it's the result that counts.  No-one would remember the circumstances because they don't matter.  The fact is that if Harper goes the distance, the Colts win and everyone nods sagely saying how resilient they are to come back from so far behind, what great character blah blah blah.

1268807[/snapback]

Come on Urs, can you honestly say that the Steelers didn't deserve that win?

I have no idea how a guy like Dungy could motivate a team for a big game. He seems too soft spoken, borderline meek. He may be a great mind, but, imo, to be a succesful HC you have to have the personality for it as well.

1268793[/snapback]

These are professionals - he shouldn't have to get them motivated for a playoff game.

That was Cowher being dumb in my opinion.  Had they taken a knee you wouldn't have this as a defense.

1268802[/snapback]

Indy had 3 all 3 timeouts with 1:30 left on the clock. Take 3 knees, kick a FG, and give that offense the ball back up by 6? That would have been dumb. Cowher made a lot of bad decisions in this game, but running the Bus there was not one of them.

They made no adjusments and played a horrible game. The talent on this team should have rolled just like during the regular season.

I find it so amusing that the Pats and the Jags were the ones doing all the :D about not getting the respect they deserved, but it is so obvious that the Steelers are the ones who aren't getting enough credit.

I'm probably alone here, but I think you'll find the call was correct - check post #31 on this thread.

1268821[/snapback]

I can only ask the same quesion I asked before...

So if Polamalu rolled another 15 yards down the field with clear possession and then dropped the ball getting up, it would be an incomplete pass and not an interception and a fumble?

This is a bad interpretation of a rule.

I can only ask the same quesion I asked before...

So if Polamalu rolled another 15 yards down the field with clear possession and then dropped the ball getting up, it would be an incomplete pass and not an interception and a fumble?

This is a bad interpretation of a rule.

1268833[/snapback]

Or it's a bad rule.

Come on Urs, can you honestly say that the Steelers didn't deserve that win?

1268822[/snapback]

Absolutely not - clearly the Steelers deserved to win and did. The fact is that if the Colts HAD won though, the manner of their winning wouldn't matter a hoot if they then went on to lift the trophy in February.

My point is that there would be no sportswriters mouthing off about Dungy if the Colts win, period. The Colts would still have played badly but all would have been forgotten - it's all about the result, however it's achieved.

I find it so amusing that the Pats and the Jags were the ones doing all the :D about not getting the respect they deserved, but it is so obvious that the Steelers are the ones who aren't getting enough credit.

1268824[/snapback]

Good lord. Why oh why does it always come back to the Pats with you? Even in a thread about Dungy you manage to slide in a moronic shot at the Pats. Please, for the love of all that's holy, see a shrink, have him/her rid you of your twisted Brady love-hate-love-hate-my mother-my sister-my mother-my sister-whatever happened to baby jane-fixation, and then you can finally stop sounding like a droning, one trick pony-riding whiner. :D

Or it's a bad rule.

1268841[/snapback]

I was wondering, if a receiver was wide open and leapt into the air to catch a pass then landed on the ground and just stood perfectly still with the ball in his hands - didn't move at all - what would the call be?

Technically, it can't be a completion since he made no attempt at a "football move" after the catch. So I guess technically the receiver doesn't actually have the ball in his hands as far as the officials are concerned. So if a defender hit him, shouldn't it be a penalty for unnecessary roughness or something? I mean, you can't just run up and put a hit on someone who doesn't have the ball, right?

Maybe I'm reading too much into the rule.