[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Legit question raised re: Dungy

msaint

I was wondering, if a receiver was wide open and leapt into the air to catch a pass then landed on the ground and just stood perfectly still with the ball in his hands - didn't move at all - what would the call be?

Technically, it can't be a completion since he made no attempt at a "football move" after the catch.  So I guess technically the receiver doesn't actually have the ball in his hands as far as the officials are concerned.  So if a defender hit him, shouldn't it be a penalty for unnecessary roughness or something?  I mean, you can't just run up and put a hit on someone who doesn't have the ball, right?

Maybe I'm reading too much into the rule.

1268863[/snapback]

He has the football, technically, although it hasn't technically been ruled a catch, so technically he can be hit because he technically has the football in his hands. Technically.

He has the football, technically, although it hasn't technically been ruled a catch, so technically he can be hit because he technically has the football in his hands. Technically.

1268865[/snapback]

Thanks for clearing that up.

I will try to stay on the topic.... :D

Dungy seems to have set a precedent for himself. Build a nice team.... can't get that team over the hump. It appears that he turns away from what got him to the PO's to begin with and loses control of the team at that critical time in the season.

He has shown time and again that he cannot bring a team to the next (highest) level. One does not continue to give 'passes' each and every year. Sooner or later one has to s--- or get off the pot.

Excuses are excuses. Shoulda, woulda, coulda...... don't mean squat. Winners overcome obstacles and adversity.... losers go home. Dungy always goes home.

Might be a good idea for him to step away for a year or so.

Wow. Almost 14'000 posts, and we have found by far your dumbest. Are you kidding me????????????

1268840[/snapback]

No.

Good lord. Why oh why does it always come back to the Pats with you? Even in a thread about Dungy you manage to slide in a moronic shot at the Pats. Please, for the love of all that's holy, see a shrink, have him/her rid you of your twisted Brady love-hate-love-hate-my mother-my sister-my mother-my sister-whatever happened to baby jane-fixation, and then you can finally stop sounding like a droning, one trick pony-riding whiner. :D

1268854[/snapback]

Sorry - but it's apt. Brady did whine that they weren't getting respected, even while everyone was slobbering all over his nob. Jax did the same whining. The Steelers soundly beat a team that no one - NO ONE - gave them a snowball's chance in hell of beating, and everyone is blaming it on Manning, or Dungy, or whatever. That is disrespect.

No.

Sorry - but it's apt.  Brady did whine that they weren't getting respected, even while everyone was slobbering all over his nob.  Jax did the same whining.  The Steelers soundly beat a team that no one - NO ONE - gave them a snowball's chance in hell of beating, and everyone is blaming it on Manning, or Dungy, or whatever.  That is disrespect.

1268893[/snapback]

One of the key components of a succesful coach is his being able to motivate a football team. If you don't understand that, I can't help you. :D

As for the second part of your post, a few comments. 21 to 18 is not a sound beating. Also, ANYTIME a HUGH underdog wins, the initial reaction is always to blame the better team for screwing up, because they were supposed to win.

Edited by Hugh 0ne

One of the key components of a succesful coach is his being able to motivate a football team. If you don't understand that, I can't help you. :D

As for the second part of your post, a few comments. 21 to 18 is not a sound beating. Also, ANYTIME a HUGH underdog wins, the initial reaction is always to blame the better team for screwing up, because they were supposed to win.

1268901[/snapback]

Maybe I just think the motivation component is over-rated because that is ALL Cowher has. I think Xs and Os are far more important because that's what my HC is missing. :D

As for the second part - did you watch the game? The Colts were dominated in every aspect of the game. That's not a sound beating.

Finally - Vikings suck!! :D

:D

Maybe I just think the motivation component is over-rated because that is ALL Cowher has.  I think Xs and Os are far more important because that's what my HC is missing.  :D

As for the second part - did you watch the game?  The Colts were dominated in every aspect of the game.  That's not a sound beating.

Finally - Vikings suck!!  :D

:D

1268905[/snapback]

B*tch. :D

Sound beating my ass:

Total Yards was 295 to 305, turnovers was plus 2 for the Colts, score was 21 to 18. Settle down mini Menudo.

That was Cowher being dumb in my opinion.  Had they taken a knee you wouldn't have this as a defense.

1268802[/snapback]

I think Cowher made the right call, given the amount of time left and the Colts still having all 3 timeouts. Very similar to the Pete Carroll call in the USC-Texas game, actually. Both coaches made very tough calls that, in essence, said that they were going to play to win the game, not play to not lose. Bettis gets into the endzone in that situation 8 out of 10 times, just like USC converts a 4th down and long 1 (It was not close to a full two yards) 8 times out of 10. It ended up working for Pittsburgh, but not for USC. It's ridiculous that, in both cases, people state that it was obviously the wrong call to make. If you kneel on the ball 3 times and kick a fieldgoal, you're leaving the outcome of the game in Manning's hands with a full minute to go. He had been throwing the ball much better in the 4th quarter than the first half, so it's not like it was a given that Pittsburgh would stop him. I'll take my changes any day of the week giving Bettis the ball inside the 5.... Like I said, 80% of the time that's game over.

And everyone has gone out of their way to CLEARLY say Pitt deserves all the credit in the world for the tremendous game they played. Lose the persecution complex, Squeegie...it's making an obviously bright woman who knows her football sound like nothing more than a whiny little bizz-nitch. :D :violin:

I see Dungy failing to win a key playoff game again. One that his team should have won.

I give him a pass because of his son's death but If the don't reach the Superbowl next year he has to go and he will be in he same category as Shottenheimer, a team builder but not a playoff contender.

Absolutely not - clearly the Steelers deserved to win and did.  The fact is that if the Colts HAD won though, the manner of their winning wouldn't matter a hoot if they then went on to lift the trophy in February.

1268845[/snapback]

Huh, cause i still think that OAK got screwed in the snow game :D I don't agree with you at all in your logic.

Dungy, just looks burnt out, and being from ACC Hoops country, I saw what it did to Coach K at Duke(I'm a NC State Alum and fan), and he had to take a year off. The Colts have been chopping at the same tree for some years now, and Dungy longer with the Bucs before coming to Indy, and the window of oppurtunity is only open for so long in the NFL. I agree, Dungy may step aside for personel reasons-who knows, but the man just looks Burnt Out.

Edited by PantherDave