[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Super Bowl Tickets

DawgTalk

I have wondered for some time now, how is the price determined for each ticket, and how do you buy them directly from the NFL. Is the only way to get these hot items through knowing people, or can general public get them through the city. Basically, how the heck does a no body get a hold of super bowl tickets?

[weigie]They are set high because of supply-and-demand. And the market will bear those prices.[/weigie]

Many of the tickets go to the the corporate sponsors. The remaining tickets go to the teams, in which some of those can go to the fans through a lottery of season-ticket holders of the teams in the Super Bowl.

I don't know how, but I know an ex-player (will remain unnamed but it was no one anybody would recognize) who gets about 20 tickets a year for the superbowl through various contacts. He goes every year for the parties and to sell his tickets on site. He's told me before that the proceeds account for nearly 25% of his annual earnings each year.

The remaining tickets go to the teams, in which some of those can go to the fans through a lottery of season-ticket holders of the teams in the Super Bowl.

1272997[/snapback]

I just bought 2 PSLs for the Panthers this year and the sales person told me when I bought the seats that I would go into a lottery for SB tickets if the Panthers make it to the big game. :D

My wife has relatives around Detroit (Bloomfield Hills and Chelsea) so if the Panthers are able to beat the Seahawks and I am lucky enough to get 2 tix for the big game I would definitely go to the game. :D

I just bought 2 PSLs for the Panthers this year and the sales person told me when I bought the seats that I would go into a lottery for SB tickets if the Panthers make it to the big game.  :D

My wife has relatives around Detroit (Bloomfield Hills and Chelsea) so if the Panthers are able to beat the Seahawks and I am lucky enough to get 2 tix for the big game I would definitely go to the game.  :D

1273028[/snapback]

They were saying on the radio here in Seattle that for the purposes of the lottery the number of entries each ticket holder gets is based upon the # of season tix you have, plus the # of years you have had tix. The lottery will be held Sunday eve, & the winner should receive their ticket invoice by Tues.

[weigie]They are set high because of supply-and-demand.  And the market will bear those prices.[/weigie]

Many of the tickets go to the the corporate sponsors.  The remaining tickets go to the teams, in which some of those can go to the fans through a lottery of season-ticket holders of the teams in the Super Bowl.

1272997[/snapback]

So, basically what Big John is saying is that supply and demand analysis really doesn't apply in the initial distribution of tickets. The tickets are given out more on a "who you know" basis like would be the case in a communist nation instead of using a price mechanism to ration out the tickets.

The resale market is where the supply and demand side factors in with prices rising up to whatever the market will bear.

One might ask why the NFL just doesn't auction off the tickets itself instead of "giving" the tickets away to people who will resell them and earn large profits. The answer is probably that the NFL doesn't want to look greedy. It also creates more of a frenzy with regards to the Superbowl. If the official ticket prices were $1000s each then most people would realize that they could never attend the game. But the way it is now, people think they have a chance. (Although, I'm not an expert in marketing, so I'm not exactly sure.)

They were saying on the radio here in Seattle that for the purposes of the lottery the number of entries each ticket holder gets is based upon the # of season tix you have, plus the # of years you have had tix. The lottery will be held Sunday eve, & the winner should receive their ticket invoice by Tues.

1273032[/snapback]

yeah that doesn't bode well for me. :D I've had 2 tickets since they opened Qwest field..... 5 years now. Not that I'd go to Detroit....... but I'd love to have a Ebay auction. :D

yeah that doesn't bode well for me. :D  I've had 2 tickets since they opened Qwest field..... 5 years now. Not that I'd go to Detroit....... but I'd love to have a Ebay auction. :D

1273097[/snapback]

Same here. Might be some huddlers could find tix if we're lucky... :D

Here is a pie chart with the distribution of last year's tickets.

Superbowl Ticket Distribution

The NFL portion is used for many things, one of them is a fan Lottery.

The entry into the lottery for next years SB is done sometime after the spring, on NFL.com, you can probably find the info there.

Here are some ideas for those dying to make the game.

Option 1

The NFL usually releases any unused tickets prior to kickoff, and in a cold weather site like Detroit, there might be more celebrities, dignataries, etc. that decide to opt out. Get to the stadium early, find the will call, and get in the line for folks with no tickets.

Option 2

In Houston, there were a ton of people that bought counterfit tickets. Those people were turned away from the turnstiles, and sent to the will call window. The NFL did their best to accomodate those folks, allowing them to purchase tickets for face value. I thought to myself "I was offered plenty of fake tickets this week outside the NFL hotel, if I had said "Buddy, I know they are fake, give me 2 for $300 or I'll call the cops over here". Go to the game and get turned away from the gate, went and cried at the will call window, one could end up with 2 good seats for $1500.

Option 3

Go to the city and watch the price of tickets all week. Near game day, they might start going down. They might start going up, so you need to be careful as you might get shut out. Pittsburgh and Denver fans will travel well, Pittsburgh especially, so there might be a lot of people in town without tickets.

Option 4

Go through a local travel agent that is doing packages. It might be $3000 or so, but would include air, hotel, and game tickets.

If you can't afford or refuse to pay the high cost of option 4, go with option 3. If that doesn't pan out, go to option 1.

As fun as it would be to work the system in option 2, I wouldn't really advise it.

Edited by charty

There was an article in GQ that I was reading about the ticket distribution last night.

This year... of the approximately 17,000 seats that go to the NFL head office... 500 will be used in a fan lottery.

That's it.

The two teams get a bunch, the host city gets a bunch, the other teams get a bunch... and if you don't know someone to snag one of those, you have a shot at 500 tickets.