[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Played $1,060 One-Day Tourney at Bellagio

Redfish

Level 3, 40 min. levels, blinds 100-200. Started with $5,000 in chips, 57 players. We're probably down to 28 players at this point. I'm in decent shape with $8900 and pick up 66 UTG and limp for $200. Couple of folds, couple of calls, button (Super Aggressive Online Maniac-type and current chip leader) limps. SB folds, BB checks. Flop comes A-J-6 rainbow. Check-check, button bets $300, BB folds, I raise to $1000, button immediately pushes all-in. This guy had been a total maniac and I was thrilled he pushed. I call with a set of 6's, maniac has J-6o for two pair. Dude to my left says, "I folded a J, you are golden". Turn is a blank, River is (anybody got a guess here?), the case Jack. I lose Jacks full of Sixes to Sixes full of Jacks. Maniac had ONE OUT and got it. If I take down that pot, I have the chip lead going into the break. Sucks. I'm going to sleep until Friday.

That really sucks. One might argue that playing 66 UTG was a mistake in the first place.

You're a 7.5 : 1 underdog to hit your set. This means that you'll need 7X your bet in the pot in the first place to get the correct pot odds to make the call. Since you're UTG you have no idea who is going to call or how many players will be in the pot. I prob. would have done the same thing to be honest with you, but I know there are a lot of people out there that wouldn't think twice about folding 66 UTG.

In late position, it's definitely worth a call, but UTG, that's tough. But like I said, I woulld have done the same thing. Over the long run, playing 66 UTG will lose you a ton of money. If someone raised 2X the BB, would you have made the call? No, you would have lost your blind. See what I mean?

In late position, it's definitely worth a call, but UTG, that's tough. But like I said, I woulld have done the same thing. Over the long run, playing 66 UTG will lose you a ton of money. If someone raised 2X the BB, would you have made the call? No, you would have lost your blind. See what I mean?

1286202[/snapback]

Understand your point, and agree that low PP are risky calls out of position with mid-level Q's (above 10 and below 20). Two reasons I made that particular call: BB right behind me refused to let the blinds be limped, ever, and had lost a ton of money by raising limpers out of the big blind. I had a plan for that guy. Number two, my Q was over 20 at the time, so the implied odds if I make a set are very good. Third, I had folded about 40 hands in a row, and felt like I had "gravitas" at the table as a solid, conservative player. May not have been the exact right move, but it was calculated, and bad beats still suck.

Understand your point, and agree that low PP are risky calls out of position with mid-level Q's (above 10 and below 20).  Two reasons I made that particular call:  BB right behind me refused to let the blinds be limped, ever, and had lost a ton of money by raising limpers out of the big blind.  I had a plan for that  guy.  Number two, my Q was over 20 at the time, so the implied odds if I make a set are very good.  Third, I had folded about 40 hands in a row, and felt like I had "gravitas" at the table as a solid, conservative player.  May not have been the exact right move, but it was calculated, and bad beats still suck.

1286216[/snapback]

Like I said, I would have done the same thing, and you'll win that hand over 95% of the time. So I take it you read Harrington on Hold Em, both 1+2 :D Great info there, it really took my game to the next leve.

Like I said, I would have done the same thing, and you'll win that hand over 95% of the time. So I take it you read Harrington on Hold Em, both 1+2 :D Great info there, it really took my game to the next leve.

1286220[/snapback]

Excellent books.. though I have not finished #2.

#1 IMO is the best book on tournament poker that I have ever read.

Excellent books.. though I have not finished #2.

#1 IMO is the best book on tournament poker that I have ever read.

1286316[/snapback]

I agree with that. However #2 takes it to another level.