[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

on the heels of the coffee thread..

Azazello1313

i've got one of these and like it pretty well, for the most part. i really LOVE the fact that it makes a full pot of coffee in like 2 minutes, that is a major plus. but the water doesn't get as hot as it does in the commercial coffeemakers, and so the coffee doesn't taste quite as good.

is there a home coffeemaker out there that gets as hot as the ones in the coffee shops? what do you guys have?

french press is ok. but it's a bit of a pain in the ass boiling water and everything, plus the coffee starts getting cold after a bit and you typically have to deal with a fair amount of sediment floating around in your cup o' joe. i realize the FP is an option, and in many ways will always be the best one, but i'm still wondering if anyone knows about a home coffee-maker that really gets hot and makes a top-notch pot.

when we make pots of coffee, we use our french press..... but 90% of the time i make espresso. the machine consistantly makes good coffee, but can have some bad days steaming the milk (might have something to do with altitude).

Edited by Bier Meister

i've got one of these and like it pretty well, for the most part.  i really LOVE the fact that it makes a full pot of coffee in like 2 minutes, that is a major plus.  but the water doesn't get as hot as it does in the commercial coffeemakers, and so the coffee doesn't taste quite as good.

is there a home coffeemaker out there that gets as hot as the ones in the coffee shops?  what do you guys have?

1333582[/snapback]

Bunn is a good coffee maker. I have a Cuisanart that was rated a little higher on heating the water to a higher temp. I did a lot of research on it a few years ago and I think that Wine Spectator has an article in their archives... be right back...

WS article, but I prefer French press when I make a whole pot! Being a coffee snob (or as some of you know, just a snob) I use one of these and it is worth every penny!!!!!! My Gaggia

Edited by sundaynfl

I did a lot of research on it a few years ago and I think that Wine Spectator has an article in their archives... be right back...

WS article,

requires a login, any chance you could C&P the conclusions/relevant parts?

I use one of these and it is worth every penny!!!!!!  My Gaggia

1334821[/snapback]

uhh yeah, that one's a little outta my price range :D:D

requires a login, any chance you could C&P the conclusions/relevant parts?

uhh yeah, that one's a little outta my price range :D:D

1334949[/snapback]

No problem:

Still, you don't need any fancy doo-dads on your coffeemaker for a great cup of java. My favorite coffeemaker among the seven I tested was one of the simplest, the Clubline KB 741 by Dutch manufacturer Technivorm. The Clubline is a drip machine, the most familiar type of coffeemaker. It works by heating water from a holding tank and spraying it over grounds in a filter-lined brew basket. While the basic system hasn't changed appreciably since before Joe DiMaggio was hawking Mr. Coffee, a myriad of special features have become available.

Test Results

Despite the plethora of bells and whistles, what you really need to make good coffee can be summed up in one word -- wattage. "Most coffeemakers don't get water hot enough, and that's because they don't have enough power, or wattage," Lingle says. "You need at least 1,250 watts. But most coffeemakers have less than 1,200." Lingle says higher wattage also provides more "turbulence" in the brewing basket, which extracts more flavor.

Sure enough, the Clubline KB 741 ($179, $199 with a thermal pot), was the most powerful of the seven coffeemakers I tried, at 1,475 watts. It produced a delicious, superbly balanced cup -- the kind I'd want to start my day with. The Clubline was also the fastest coffeemaker, producing eight cups in about five minutes. I also liked its smart, twin-tower look and its seven-foot cord (others were around three feet). The Clubline is one of two coffeemakers that meet the standards of the SCAA. (The other is the OCS-8 by Newco Enterprises, $199.)

For second place among drip style coffeemakers, Cuisinart's Brew Central ($99), KitchenAid's Pro 12 ($100), both 12-cup models, and 10-cup Cafe Euro Thermal Coffeemaker from Melitta ($24), were very close. All produced coffee with clean and bright flavors and medium body. The Cuisinart and KitchenAid are both programmable. The Cuisinart has a superior look of black plastic and stainless steel. The KitchenAid has a brew strength adjustment dial, but it didn't seem to make much difference.

For sheer value, it's hard to beat the Melitta, which is simply a filter-lined cone above a thermal pot. The Melitta allows you to control the temperature of the water that is poured over the grounds. I also tested a Black & Decker 12-cup Smart Brew ($35), which made a decent cup, though it was a step behind the others. It was also the slowest of the automatic drip makers per cup, taking over nine minutes to make eight cups. Cuisinart and KitchenAid each took nine minutes, Melitta 10.

If you're looking for a deeper, richer coffee, the eight-cup vacuum system is for you. At six minutes, the Starbucks Utopia vacuum coffeemaker I tested made the second fastest pot of coffee. (Starbucks is discontinuing the Utopia, but Bodum sells the same machine, called the Santos, for $129.) My eight-cup, glass-beaker French press ($30) made the most robust cup of coffee, the kind that would appeal to espresso lovers. And even though it took 11 minutes to brew a pot (including heating the water), that's less time than it takes to get that grande non-fat latte at the espresso bar.

:D

I had a Bodum "Insert name of cheese eating surrender monkeys here" Press and it totally sucked. I don't have no coffee grinder and the places I could get it ground (St@r$$, other coffee places) couldn't grind it fine enough.

So it was like camp coffee with all kinds of grounds and sh!t gettin in your mouth.

F()CK the FR3NCH and their SH!TTY COFFEEPOTS!

BTW, according to ATK (who I trust) the Black and Decker, InFuze 10-cup vacuum brewer is the bomb.

Edited by MojoMan

I have a similar model (stainless steel without the grinder). Great coffee maker. I use a separate coffee grinder (Krups) which allows me to control how much the beans are ground.

1337287[/snapback]

I've got this model:

Cuisinart............

It does a fine job.

For second place among drip style coffeemakers, Cuisinart's Brew Central ($99),

This is what I have. I got it at a BJ's wholesale though for about $69, I think. It has a water filter built in, which is good if you need it. It also has 3 settings for the temp it will keep the coffee at once it's made. I've been happy enough with it.

Edited by Czarina