[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

TO a Cowboy

Avernus

OK, how about a "modest" upgrade, rather than the "vast" upgrade that he was in Philly.  Sure, T.O. is a "great" receiver, but Dallas also released a "very good" receiver at the same time.  The net result is certainly going to be positive for Dallas' offense, but a little less dramatic than what we saw in Philly two years ago.

1378366[/snapback]

Wurd. :D

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, how about a "modest" upgrade, rather than the "vast" upgrade that he was in Philly.  Sure, T.O. is a "great" receiver, but Dallas also released a "very good" receiver at the same time.  The net result is certainly going to be positive for Dallas' offense, but a little less dramatic than what we saw in Philly two years ago.

1378366[/snapback]

Again, I disagree. Glenn is definately the teams long ball threat. But if I remember correctly, last year was his first healthy season in the past 4. So he's not exactly reliable. Also, TO goes over the middle alot without a problem. No way teams even think about doubling Keyshawn. However, they must seriously consider doubling TO. If they do, that leaves fewer defenders for EVERYONE else.

TO is a major upgrade over Keyshawn.

Seems the Bird fans and thier players see this signing completely different.  Why would the players who actually know the guy, spend 12-14 hrs a day with the guy want to welcome him back,  yet the fans of said team redicule him because he signed with a division rival. 

Seems like sour grapes to me.

1378214[/snapback]

You make some very valid points:

1. Of course, in today's enviorment, it has been proven over and over again that very few players have the allegiance to their teams the way the fans do. PLayers come and go,...fans are fans for a lifetime. Players are in it for the money...fans are in it for the love. So it does not surprise me that the players feel less emotional than the fans do, and that the fans of the team are the ones publicly venting their frustrations.

2. Hell yes, sour grapes! Here's a guy that , via his own words, wanted to bring a championship to Philly, and then decides, 11 months after signing a contract, that he won't do it unless he is paid more money? That would be like me going to work for an employer, agreeing to do the job for $XXX, starting the job, then holding him hostage for more money when the job was half-done. All the while, throwing my co-workers and employer under the bus.

3. We would have ridiculed him wherever he went. Its actually a plus he went to the Cowboys, however. While they may be somewhat better with him short-term (and thats a big mayber...I think their O-Line will have a lot to do with how well TO performs...remember, Philly had a great OL when Owens got here...not the case in Dallas), if history proves us correct, it won't last. In fact, the worst thing that could happen to Cowboy fans would be for him to have a great year....and you know why. Yep, he'll be demanding more money next year, and 2005 will be repeated. What Dallas would be smart to do would be to ensure he has a 1200 yd/10-12 TD season to keep things status quo. Use him as a decoy, or throw the TDs to Whitten/Glenn. If TO dominates the endzone like he did in Philly, Rosenpuss will be spewing "We want to be paid like a Top-5 NFL'er".

I can't wait to see how this all plays out....we can debate during pre-season all we want, but the outcome of this move won't be know for quite some time.

The OL last yr crumbled because of the loss of OT Flozell Adams, forcing the Boys into a make shift line starting a rookie. Dallas gets Flozell back, added Fabini and some det cast off and should be better prepared for an injury this yr. I also wouldnt doubt they take a OL in round 1 or 2 of this draft, and I hope they get davin Jospeh of Oklahoma. dude was a mawler at G, but he was moved out of position to OT this past yr. If he came out last yr he would have been a 1st rounder, but may slide to the middle of the 2nd this yr because of his shift in college last yr to OT.

Has it not been started that Dallas had a dominate O-Line until Flozal Adams got hurt last year?

With the return of Adams, the signing of Fabani and the drafting of Justice or McNeil ... the O-line will return to their previous dominate ways.

1378685[/snapback]

Justice wont be there, and McNeil has weight issues and a bad back. Not exactly what you are looking for in a 1st round pick regardless of his talent level.

Edited by Sgt. Ryan

Justice wont be there, and McNeil has weight issues and a bad back.  Not exactly what tyou are looking for in a 1st round pick regardless of his talent level.

1378692[/snapback]

Correct on Justice most likely though Dallas scoops him up if he's there ... McNeil will go to Dallas in the 2nd after a trade down. :D

Again, I disagree.  Glenn is definately the teams long ball threat.  But if I remember correctly, last year was his first healthy season in the past 4.  So he's not exactly reliable.  Also, TO goes over the middle alot without a problem.  No way teams even think about doubling Keyshawn.  However, they must seriously consider doubling TO.  If they do, that leaves fewer defenders for EVERYONE else. 

TO is a major upgrade over Keyshawn.

1378493[/snapback]

Glenn has played in 15 or more games in three of the past four seasons. On the other hand, T.O. broke his ankle a year and a half ago and has had problems with groin injuries since playing in Philly.

Keyshawn + Glenn = good

T.O. + Glenn = very good

Dallas was 13th in passing yds and 10th passing TDs last season. Not spectacular, but pretty good. I certainly wouldn't have said that their passing game was deficient. If I were them, I would've addressed the losses of Glover and Ngyun instead.

Edited by Bill Swerski

Who are your top 5 QBs then?  Are you talking fantasy football rankings or real football rankings.

1377533[/snapback]

I am talking totally fantasy here for the upcoming season(not last year or year before).

1. Peyton Manning

2.Tom Brady

3.Matt Hasslebeck

4.Jake Plummer

5.Eli Manning ( I know I said I would take Bledsoe over Eli, but after reassessing things I have to go with the youth )

Now before you say you don't have Bledsoe in the top 5, remember what I said, "I won't BLAME anyone for having Bledsoe in the top 5". I did not say I had him in my top 5. I was just pointing out a few that were on that top 5 list that I would rather have Bledsoe over.

That being said, I have Bledsoe as number 7 behind Vick.

Also, I might add I have my sleeper list of QB's that I think are in for a huge year, and if healthy for 16 games could/should make the top 5-10, this list includes

Leftwich,Warner,Rivers,McNair. Many will overrate Warner right from the start though so I probably won't get him on any team though.

Edited by Doc Holliday

Glover was expendable with the additions of Canty, Spears & Ware. Dat is a hugh lose but has been addressed with the signing of Ayodele from Jacksonville.

1378813[/snapback]

Ah, I didn't know about Ayodele. That indeed is a good signing.

They still took a downgrade at NT, as Canty and Spears as ends (although one can argue that Glover was a bit small to be a NT anyway, but he was still a Pro Bowler). Ware is an OLB. The could use a pass-rushing end, but Abraham was the only marquee guy on the market this offseason and I'm not sure how well he'd do in a 3-4.

Anyway, I think that Edge would've been a better upgrade over Jones/Barber than T.O. is over Keyshawn. Especially given that Parcells loves to run the ball. But I'm not sure about the cap details, so perhaps that wasn't a possibility.

Financially-speaking, though, they did get a good deal on T.O.

Edited by Bill Swerski

I am not a Dallas or Philly fan, but that Philly home game vs Dallas HAS to be in primetime...oh the humanity!  :D

1378875[/snapback]

I hear duracell is sponsoring that game..

I am talking totally fantasy here for the upcoming season(not last year or year before).

1. Peyton Manning

2.Tom Brady

3.Matt Hasslebeck

4.Jake Plummer

5.Eli Manning ( I know I said I would take Bledsoe over Eli, but after reassessing things I have to go with the youth )

1378869[/snapback]

You have Vick at #6, then Bledose at #7....

where in the heck are Palmer, Bulger, McNabb, Pepper & Warner, let alone some of the other sleepers you mentioned, who I happen to share your optimism on (I too love Lefty this year).

1378869[/snapback]

At first you say you are ranking them based on the upcoming season only. Then you say you would go with Eli due to his age. What does age have to do with it if you are only talkng about this season?

I can't believe you have Eli and Vick rated over McNabb and Bulger. I can understand Palmer, Brees, Culpepper due to their injuries.

Ah, I didn't know about Ayodele.  That indeed is a good signing.

They still took a downgrade at NT, as Canty and Spears as ends (although one can argue that Glover was a bit small to be a NT anyway, but he was still a Pro Bowler).  Ware is an OLB.  The could use a pass-rushing end, but Abraham was the only marquee guy on the market this offseason and I'm not sure how well he'd do in a 3-4.

Anyway, I think that Edge would've been a better upgrade over Jones/Barber than T.O. is over Keyshawn.  Especially given that Parcells loves to run the ball.  But I'm not sure about the cap details, so perhaps that wasn't a possibility.

Financially-speaking, though, they did get a good deal on T.O.

1378880[/snapback]

Jason Ferguson is the NT, the plugger they need to keep Ol off their LBs. Glover rarely held the point of attack, and tried to make the tackle himself, instead of buying into the system. Thus he was shown the door. dallas will draft another plugger in the later rounds. Ferguson was a 7th round gem Parcells found while with NY.

I think dallas takes a FS, LB, OL, DT, and probably a project WR late.